Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old junk yard in the woods (pics)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by good_ol_boy, Apr 5, 2009.

1. A friend of mine owns alot of land, mostly woods. Yesterday he asked me if I wanted to go out rabbit hunting with him. I really wasn't into it... but then he said there's alot of rabbits out there, they hang around under some old cars. I asked him what kind of cars... but he's not really a car guy, so he didn't know. He just said there's an old junk yard out there with a bunch of old junk cars and parts, but most of the cars are upside down. So, I figured I would go along anyways, just to check out the cars. I brought my camera along... here's what I saw.

[​IMG]

I spotted a Merc in the pile-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the bottom of the door didn't really look too bad... surface rust, but it's solid and straight-
    [​IMG]

I turned around and damn, there's another Merc-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Well!?? We're waiting! Did you get any rabbits?!?!:confused:

J/k looks like fun! Thanks!

3. I noticed this old W block peeking out of the snow-
    [​IMG]

the valve cover was just sitting on it-
    [​IMG]

Everything out there was mostly scrap, but there was some good trim pieces and stuff. Everything has been out there since the early 60's. The latest plate I saw was from 1962. My friend said I could take anything I wanted. I'll probably grab a few parts. I just figured I would post these pics for the guys that like to look at old junk in the woods.

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

no we don't like junk...but the snow is exciting.

5. zzford

zzford

It appears that you have an awful lot of cotton laying around up there.

6. havi

havi

season ended over a month ago. :) But yer right, alot of them are upside down. I'd be all over that panel truck. I'm not far away, I'll come get it this summer.....seriously.

7. Midnight 50

Midnight 50

I see grill and trim pieces that are worth saving. ..... and that Pontiac hood emblem... I want it. :)

8. Quite a bit of pocket money there for you and your buddy.

9. Damn, you're right... I'll have to turn him in for poaching.;)
    There's actually 2 panel trucks. I don't think you'd be able to get them out easily, they are way back in the woods.

10. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

I tried to resist! FAILED

Attached Files:

11. chaddilac

chaddilac

So what are you getting... better get all those cool hood ornaments!!

12. No, junk is exciting... but I don't like snow.

13. Still Runnin

Still Runnin
    from VA & FL

I'd be hunting alright, but not for rabbits !

14. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

cool pics ! tried the phome # on the truck door but no one answered !;)

15. Squablow

Squablow

I would buy the grille surround out of that Merc, it looks like it's all there. I see quite a bit of good stuff there, actually.

16. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

My dad has been looking for that trim on the green Pontiac hood EVERYWHERE! There it is!

17. vertible59

vertible59

Thar's gold in them thar hills! Seriously, I love posts like this. Reminds me of when I lived in north central, North Carolina. We were about 15 miles from the Virginia border, and a bunch of the guys from our club explored the area most every weekend, when there wasn't a show. We found stuff that was truly amazing! It looks like you might have backed into a nifty enterprise that could help finance other projects. Good for you, and thanks for the post.

18. Jesus H Christ I,d be all over that junk in a minute! There are a ton of great parts left there if you ask me!!!! Nice finds...

19. 30dodge

30dodge
    from Pahrump nv

If it wernt so dang far and cold I would bring my tool box and go hunten rabbits with you

20. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Grab that W motor. It's probably siezed, and may be cracked, but it didn't look too bad under the valve cover. Also, get ahold of the guy in Iowa that just posted about the 51 Merc out in the woods. Might be able to build one good Merc out of the three.

21. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

[​IMG]BE VEWWWY QUIET!
    I'M HUNTING MERCS AND W MOTORS
    AND MAYBE SOME WABBITS!!!

Something comes to mind....
    Cool find,now get a big trailer and score those Mercs!

22. biscaynes

biscaynes

yep, save that W motor!

23. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Get whats left of the Merc, W motor and hoods before someone else does!
    Go back again once all the snow has melted; there may be some good trim and other small parts hiding under the snow.
    I love posts like this-thanks for sharing.

24. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

Wait untill he brushes the snow off that 348/409 and see's a 3 carb manifold!

25. jeenyus

jeenyus
    from MN

Yeah, I need that head on top of that Pontiac hood also. I'm in MN so if he ever wants to sell anything, please please let me know, lol.

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Notice that all of the cars that are upside down are missing the frames? My guess is someone built a lot of trailers or grabbed the heavy iron to scrap it out.

Frank

27. havi

havi

Up here, that'll be July at this rate, lol.

28. jivin jer

jivin jer

There's my grille shell!!!!

29. Best time to get that W motor out is now - if it's not frozen into the ground, roll it into a doubled up pair of plastic kid's sleds, one guy pushes, one guy pulls - as long as you don't have too much of any hills to go up, you should be able to pull it right out. Given the stupid money those bring it might be worth the trouble.

Those Mercs I'm pretty sure no one makes the quarters for, it would probably be worth taking them off even with a little rot to them - small holes are a lot more fixable than ones with the wheel arches gone and great big rot holes in them -