Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trim trouble

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AustinPhoenix, Mar 24, 2009.

1. AustinPhoenix

AustinPhoenix
    from Austin

So I'm in the process of stripping down my car for paint and rust removal, but have come across some difficulty getting the stainless trim off the doors and at the bottom of the car. The shop that had it before me told me to just pop it off with a screw driver, but I'd like to try and preserve it and reuse it.

Is this possible? Or do I have to destroy them to take them off? Thanks.

2. BISHOP

BISHOP

No you cant just pop it off with a screwdriver. I know you know better than that. Have someone that knows what they are doing take the trim off.
    Anyway, there are nuts inside the door.

3. AustinPhoenix

AustinPhoenix
    from Austin

I knew "popping" it off wasn't the way!! grrr...I saw the bolts inside the trunk when I was putting some parts there. I'm not going to take my car to somebody that "knows what they're doing" because most of the shops around here have guys my age that plug cars to computers to learn what's wrong but wet their pants at carburators and the hot rod shops around here know how to replace stuff...not rebuild and reuse...thus the "popping" idea. I'm sure eventually I'll find a good classic car shop or retired mechanic that will greet me with "I remember these cars..."

I found out from another site how to do it for the trim running from the front fender to the door and on the rear fender. All of the nuts are rusted to the bolts pretty tight but i got some suggestions from some members. All of the nuts just spin the bolt inside instead of twisting off. I was told to press against the trim to let the metal disc unlatch itself from the trim, then use vice grips to hold the bolt while I get the nut off.

The trim at the bottom of the door along the rocker panel is giving me some grief. I'll inspect the trim along the beltline (chrome trim around the window bottom all along the cab?).

Sorry if I'm sounding green...I am. I know my way around, but haven't the clue about the specific names of parts just yet.

By the way Bishop....I love your avatar! lol Go Texas!

4. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Usually there is a trim bolt/nut at the end of each strip of trim. The rocker panel trim is usually the same with the end bolt just inside the wheel well out back and at the base of the fender inside the lip up front.

The intermediate clips are often wire clips or plate/wire clips except on rocker panel which have unique stamped steel clips. The trick is to only pry, very carefully, at the location of the clips, never in betwen which guarantees a nice kink in the edge of the trim and/or a bow.

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

"Trim" is your interior. "Moulding" is what you are describing. Big difference. You might get more responses with the the correct thread title.

6. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I thought he was having trouble with a woman:eek:

7. Special Ed

Special Ed

That's some funny shit, right there!