Register now to get rid of these ads!

REAL Mullins trailers...Who's got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40 & 61 Fords, Oct 9, 2008.

1. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I recently bought a book about the history of the Mullins Trailer. It was a very interesting read! It made me curious though to know how many on here do have one. Anyone have good stories/pictures of them. I don't have one myself, but I have always thought they are neat.

2. Mopar34

Mopar34

Saw one a few years ago at the Turkey Run. It was attached to genuine 32 Ford roadster. Both were done in matching dark blue paint and were for sale. Asking price for both was $35,000. Don't know if they sold.

The original steel mullins sets taller than the glass ones and they are larger in length. A lot heavier too.

3. uncle buck

uncle buck

I have an unrestored one burried in the back corner of my garage, but no pics of it. I assume the book is by Robert Parmelee and it is a good book on the history.

4. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I have an unrestored one as well. There is a Mullins trailer club, Robert Parmelee is the editor of their newsletter.

5. I believe they were originaly called Mullins Red Cap trailers.

I've always liked them but could never afford one,,as long as I can remember they have been rather expensive,,,I do have an old glass one. HRP

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Don't have an original steel one but do have one of the first repops and a later one as well in the works.
    The beauty of the Mullins, glass or gennie steel, is their period style and the fact that they can carry a whole bunch of stuff, much more than you imagine or than most other marketed trailers do.
    When my friend Burl and I drove our T roadsters (his a track T, mine a RPU) to the 20th Anniversary NSRA Nationals in St. Paul MN in 1990, I pulled the Mullins loaded with: Sears-Roebuck Ted Williams approved CANVAS (you do remember real fabric canvas tents, don't you? one big canvas bag with the tent, one smaller bag with the poles) large umbrella tent, 1 large oscillating electric fan, 2 cots, 2 fold up camp chairs, 2 5-gallon plastic gas cans, 2 large plastic tarps, small toolbox, 2 clothes travel bags, pillows, bedding, campstove and lantern, a couple extra pairs of shoes, raingear(came in handy, wish we'd remembered to bring ours from home intead of buying new during the storm) and miscellaneous small items.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Are those the little piss ant trailers? I know they have a cool heritage and all, but they annoy the piss out of me... They remind me of those little Coke trailer things that street rodders loved so much in the 90s.

Talk me out of my thoughts.

8. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Yeah, they are the ones that have a "turtle shell" look to them.
    I do have to agree that for a while after they started ropoping them, they were the trailer of choice for streetrodders.
    I have seen a few though that were done well with fenders added that matched the car, dropped axles, etc, all done in a more "traditional" style...Sorry, I don't have any pictures to show though...:(
    I personally don't really have a need to own one, I just wondered how many guys might have one, since if you were going to pull a trailer behind your traditional rod, this would be about the best choice you could make.
    Afterall, there's not much trunk space for long trips in that Model A is there Ryan! :)
    At least they're better than the "coke cooler stuck on a trailer frame along with the rest of the soda fountain" on wheels things that are still behind some streetrods out there!

9. For that price, sounds like 20 years ago!

10. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I have always liked them but like a lot of folks here ... never could really justify the price that the real ones bring. I was in the " Red Cap " club years ago and I saw a photo somewhere of Babe Ruth with his own Mullins trailer. That would be a cool one to own :D

11. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I'm conflicted

You never really know if they're dragging behind full of unnecessary crap in a sort of goldchainer & beat-down husband kinda way

Or if they're loaded with necessary crap, and that trailer is allowing an old car to go on a trip that would otherwise require a different vehicle. We all have family visits and such that require a bundle of crap to go one direction. And it's cooler to do it in an old car with a trailer than a 94 blazer.

Intent really is the difference isn't it?

12. Gator

Gator

One of the local street rodders has one he drags behind his 'Ali Baba' themed T bucket. He carries a big stuffed camel in it.

13. Ryan your right however they have a long history with cars from the 20s- 40s.....think travelin rt66,grapes of wraith sorta stuff,however these guys that painted the like fuckin eastereggs drive me nuts too,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  14. heres a stocker

Attached Files:

15. I really haven't used mine in several years....It really came in handy when the kids were small and when we went to the nationals,,,

1 wife,,2 daughters,cloths,tools,canopy,chairs and camping gear,food for a week!:D HRP

16. A ittle more info,,,HRP

[​IMG]

17. Joe King

Joe King

I think they're kinda cool, but if I can't sleep in it I don't know why I want to tow it?

18. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I built my original about 25 years ago used it while the kids were little and still wanted to travel with us. I ratholed it for 10 years then painted it flat black and towed it behind my deuce highboy 2 door for several years now it's back in storage for who knows how long. 2 fools probably met when I turned down 4500.00 last year!

19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw a picture of an accessory tent that could be added onto a Mullins trailer to make a camper out of it, several years ago.
    I've been looking for that picture, but can't find the #!*& thing !

20. uncle buck

uncle buck

there are several pictures of one with the tent and air mattresses also offered in the book (page 14-19) mentioned and pictured above.

21. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

There is a guy in Colorado that repops the tent.

22. 49willard

49willard
    from Maine

I had one, restored it and finally sold it 15 years ago at the old Foxboro Ma meet. It sold fast. I have a second original modified frame that I use to move things around my property. I have an original vin tag for one also.

23. Richard Head

Richard Head

The Mullins that Uncle Buck has mysteriously smells like cigars, beer and hot dogs.

Babe Ruth owning one of those things is about the only thing that would extinguish the extreme gayness of those trailers.

Dave

24. uncle buck

uncle buck

I had to do something to get rid of the cheap perfume that hooker was wearing when you last borrowed it. By the way , did the pennicillin the doctor prescribed work?

25. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I've towed the glass Mullins behind the T roadster many times and several times a year behind the family cars over the years when going camping at Garner State Park. It runs mid-50s 6cylinder Chrysler wire wheels(used to have the set on my 48 Plymouth woodie wagon) with the same tires I hand-mounted with tire irons bak in 1975.

26. 17dracing

17dracing
    from Indiana

My uncle just called me and bought a all steel Mullins trailer !!! I'm going to help him restore it for his 1950's Sinclair gas station !!! These things look pretty neat !! I'm going to have to get more pic. though ! Oh yeah get this he gave $25 for it !!!!

27. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Ok, the camper kit for the trailers is re-popped by Jerry kennedy, an official of NSRA, who lives in the Ft. Collins, Co. area. He sells them and advertises in the Mullins Owners Club newsletter.
    17dracing, your uncle either found the deal of the decade or it is a ruff cob.
    Richard (Dick) Head, if your seeing "gayness" in a small trailer, you are just a bit too homophobic. Lighten up.

28. hotrod_guy

hotrod_guy
    from CA

I have one ! Thanks uncle Buck for the PM.

29. hotrod_guy

hotrod_guy
    from CA

This one is glass. But nice.

30. hotrod_guy

hotrod_guy
    from CA