Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why do T-buckets get no respect?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xlr8, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

"You guys who live where all the cars are??? " Not familiar with that place?

Vintage steel is still out there, you just have to root around to find it.

I bought the body for my T from the fingerlakes region of New York. Found it via The Model T Ford website.

Drove from western Ohio to get it. Yep it was rusty, tore it down, used patch panels on what was available, made panels for the rest.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009

2. Your roadster looks great and congrats on finding it. As I said I like vintage steel but I will use what is available to me and what I have. Fiberglass T's have been around for fifty years so that is traditional enough in my book. I also have no problem with a glass Deuce or Willys. They are sharp no matter what they are made of.
    Wp

3. geckotitan

geckotitan

my first rod had a blast with it and was a very kool kar

Attached Files:

4. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

"Your roadster looks great and congrats on finding it. As I said I like vintage steel but I will use what is available to me and what I have. Fiberglass T's have been around for fifty years so that is traditional enough in my book. I also have no problem with a glass Deuce or Willys. They are sharp no matter what they are made of.
    Wp
    "

Cool, do what ya gotta do & have a good time doing it. No worrys.

Keep in mind however, this thread asks "Why do T-buckets get no respect?"

"Respect" is an earned commodity, Typically the easy, non-traditional route doesn't lead to respect.

Oh, using an old fiberglass body to build a 60's era rods would be traditional....

Buying a new fiberglass body to build any kind of rod, not traditional.

5. Mizlplix

Mizlplix
    from S/W USA

Years ago, I was at a So Cal swap meet. I saw an ugly, yellow, '27 T with A running gear and a flathead 8. The owner asked me if I had ever driven one. I said nope. He thru me the keys and told me to take my wife for a spin, just dont leave the fairgrounds.....What a piece of rattling shit.

I never forgave him for all the hours and money it cost me.

You are free to invent convenient names like "Street Machine", "Street Rod", "Traditional Hot Rod" and my fav..."Correct Period Car".

You are free to dislike anything/everything I might build, but each time you say something shitty and discourage a new or young Rodder, you are shooting yourself in the ass.

I just look at a silly build and find one thing I do like and tell them that one thing.

God didnt make you the worlds "Traditional" police.

6. Outlaw Bender

Outlaw Bender

My preivius and first built Hotrod
    [​IMG]

7. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

xlr8: I try to not get involved anymore with these "attitude" threads. But today.. I'm in a mood.
    1. You mean you can't take a credit card and buy a steel or glass belly-button 32 that looks like all of the other 32s? You know.. the ones that there are more on the road than were orignially produced? Bull.
    2. I'm building (ya, some don't like the word "build". Get over yourself) a T (though not a bucket.) and a 30-31 A truck. It'll probably take years.
    3. Parts are nearly impossible to find here, that's why I built an E-wheel and plannishing hammer.
    4. I don't have a credit card with enough room on it to buy new stuff. I don't have a silver spoon in my mouth or up my a$$ like some of the gold-chainers here who are "traditional builders" (read: someone else does it for them). And let's not speak of the talkers here who don't own any tin older that 19-(insert date of your choice).
    5. It's mine. I couldn't give a scalded rat's a$$ what anyone else thinks. Period. xlr8, I suggest you take on the same attitude or hang around a better class of people. They are out there.
    6. Tell me to my face that I look goofy driving one. Go ahead. I dare ya. You keyboard bullies. Well my keyboard can wup your keyboard's letters off! And my hard drive is bigger than yours too!

I don't respect the car. I respect the person.
    If I meet someone with a bad attitude I have no interest in them OR their work.
    Life is too short. Find something nice to say or move on.. before I flatten ya.
    And they Canadians are too "nice".

Some of you have amazing looking rides. See? It's not hard to be nice.
    Have a nice day!

8. seaside

seaside

Anyone that was at the HAMB drags last yr knows I drive the shit out of mine all the time! Usually with a Big cigar and a Bigger smile!

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

GizmoJoe is my new hero.......thank you.

10. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Thanks Royalshifter..
    Sometimes a mood overtakes me. ;)

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I can take my "T" to shows and it gets all the attention......and the big dollar guys (respectfully) look in surprise when theirs do not. So I think the "T" brings out the youngster "I can build that" fantasy in everyone like it does me, it reminds me of my model car days of the sixties when those cars ruled.

12. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I am amazed at some of the attitudes towards buckets when yours kicks so much serious ass. I have a t-bucket fantasy. I can't wait to get my model A done so I can dream a little about the T I want.

13. Answer me this.
    Do the same people who kick diss at the T's (especially the glass one) also turn a haughty nose to the fiberglass '32's? I would estimate that 9/10th of the Deuce and '34 coupes I see are fiberglass cars. Hows the feelings here toward them?
    Wp

14. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

"..So I think the "T" brings out the youngster "I can build that" fantasy in everyone.."

Amen, man.

When someone sees a high-dollar, technically advanced, long-term project they have a different level of interest than if they see a fun, relatively "simple" hot rod that looks like something that is achievable by them. Not that all Ts are low-buck or simple, but you know what I mean.
    I love a work of art like the fancy-schmancy cars, but I like to have some fun with simpler toys too.
    Last year a bucket (not all that well finished either) came to a local show. You could have charged admission for viewing it. I don't even know (or CARE) if it was steel or glass. It was on the road and the driver had a wicked-big grin. That's what I want!
    He had a bigger grin than some of the guys who worried if someone got within 10 feet of their cars.
    Thankfully, not everyone here has their head up their butt and some of us appreciate the hard work, talent and passion of others.
    This is starting to turn into a rant for me.... that's why I try to not join in the "attitude" threads.
    Long live hot rodding. And if you don't like what I drive.. don't step in front of me when the engine is running! ;) Oh.. and don't ask for a ride!
    I'll shut up now and wait for better weather. ;)

15. gassman57

gassman57

GizmoJoe; Royalshifter...you both rock.!!
    Nothing caught my eye as a youngster quite like the 'T'; or any other 'rod' rolling past. Am I working on, or do I have any 'tin' at the moment..no..I sure wish I did.
    The guy who gets his hands dirty working on 'his' build...that's what I respect; no matter what it is.

16. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

When I build a T, here's my inspiration. I wanna know what the rest of this car looks like. It's not much to go off of, but it gets my mind going... WWRD?

[​IMG]

17. wireman

wireman
    from michigan

the model t is the universal car. you can make it anything you want but like it or not its here to stay.

18. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

dreddybear (talk about people with talent) THAT made me laugh out loud and I needed that today. COOL!

Thanks gassman.
    You don't NEED tin to enjoy the hobby.

I tell my students (I'm an I.T. instructor) all the time: want a job? volunteer!

Find someone to lend a hand to!!! You might be surprised how much "tin" shows up.

So, want some old tin? Help someone out. You will AT LEAST learn.
    At best you will HELP someone!
    As icing on the cake.. you might get some help back.

Attitude and perspective man.. attitude and perspective.
    But I'm sure YOU know all about attitude and "buckets".. or bucket lists, as your bio states. Be strong.

19. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

All you guys who put down T buckets try this, get a group of guys together in their rods drive to virgin territory (not a rod event) park all the cars in a row and stick the T bucket in the middle of the group and watch people go to the T like it was a magnet. We were on a run with some high dollar cars, even an AMBR roadster winner, steel 32's ,awesome full fender 33 and others, what car got the first and most looks, the T bucket all those big buck car didn't mean a thing to them, all I heard was isn't that CUTE....:D

20. The logic that escapes me is that if I had used an original cowl on my project and built a body out of new sheetmetal and used a new frame and drivetrain it would be "real" and "traditional" and "legit" but since I am using a glass body even though I have a nice nickeled '26 T instrument panel and original '23 grill shell, '14 T cowl lamp and Model A I-beam it is a totally fake project by these standards. How does a cowl or partial body have more history than an axle or any other auto part since the supposed history of the components has so much to do with the legitimacy of a car?
    Wp

21. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

GREAT question.
    Don't expect a great answer. ;)

22. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

because if you were right, then Mr. Inadequate couldn't feel better about himself by trying to run you down. I'm bettin that most of the shit-talkers on here have HUGE Napoleon complexes.

It's real nice to live like some of us can, comfortable in our own skin. Even if that means that we have fiberglass parts or a 350/350 combo... what's so wrong with doing things cheaper, easier, and faster? I'd much rather be out on the road than sitting in the garage! I know some folks could give a shit less if they ever drive their car... that just aint me.

23. Keep

Keep

I see...but its okay to buy a Brookfield body and build a "traditional" car? It is okay to order the chassis, and everything from a catalog but as soon as someone wants to use a glass body and hand fab damn near every other piece of the car its not "traditional"....

Your logic amazes me.

24. TurboHaddix

TurboHaddix

ROFL! Thanks for making me shoot milk out my nose you tard. AHahah!

Man, if I only knew you could make enough horsepower to run 6's by building a 512 with aluminum heads for pump gas then throwing nitro in it just for kicks! Thanks for the tip.

50psi of boost in a Dodge 4 banger? Did you convert that puppy to diesel while you were at it?

I need to get me one of them there G-tech dynos, all my cars will double in horsepower overnight!

25. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

"Horseshit"! .......said the sparrow, "Let's Eat!"

Well stated.

Me-thinks it's more about envy. Those guys are saying, "How dare somebody have just as much fun with a fiberglass body than the guy that paid big bucks for a 'real steel' one!"

Also, the fiberglass bodys have caused an aritifcial ceiling on price of steel. That's another reason that 'real steel' guys have against 'glass. If you listen closely, to the blatent diss, you will sense more resentment, than anything tangible..........To the contrary, the guys that respect humanity, that prefer steel to 'glass, I know many of them, state their preference but stop short of lowering themselves to insulting people that think otherwise. It's common courtesy.

Again, unless a person has merely mis-stated, (confused the words) "Respect" and "Preference", than with that cleared up very few people lack respect for any build. If they do, they bring disrespect upon themselves.

26. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

you gotta have the steel body with steel turtleback trunk in my opinion. some old geezer here in ohio [ near kent state university ] has some t-steel in his barn. i think the disco 70's t-s cheezed it with the goofy crap they did then. othewise i dig t-s especially chopped coupes

27. TurboShadow

TurboShadow
    from Prosser wa

Not to be a jerk man, but Im callin ya on that one. 50psi on a t2? Not going to happen and keep it alive. I doubt you could even get a 2.2 to spin a holset that high, especially with a 8v head.

BTW, Ive been building 8v 2.2's for years.... I know what I am talking about ;)

28. wsdad

wsdad

I like T's because they're so versatile. People have put nearly every engine imaginable in them. They adapt well to many different styles. You got you're traditional T's, fad T's, high tech T's, volks wagon T's, T's with pinto engines, T's with Hemi's, T's with Jag IRS's, boiled T's, deep fried T's, T gumbo...
    Oh sorry, there was some sort of strange Forrest Gump thing happening there for a moment.

I like this F.E.D. T. I've always wanted to build a F.E.D. (Front Engine Dragster) for the street. Putting a T-bucket on the back allows my ladies to ride with me (My wife or daughters).

Now, if I go to all the trouble to build this thing, and we're out enjoying it, and someone comes up and "disrespects" it, I'd think that's just a little odd and rude. I'd actually feel a little sorry for a fellow that has to destroy to feel important.

If someone says something constructive like, "You could go faster if you did it this way." or "That's a little unsafe, try this." well, that's helpful. But to say something useless like, "That's a poor man's car." well, who cares?

If he thinks he's richer than I am, he simply hasn't met my wife or daughters yet. They're the ones sitting in a T-bucket with the wind in their hair, a smile on their face and their arm around a working class dad (or their elbows in his ribs when he peals a little rubber).

"That's all I've got to say about that."

Attached Files:

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

everyone is calling him on that one, I keep checkin my shoes but no shit,yet i smell it. I don't own anything of the bovine variety, just the canine,yet i keep smelling bullshit. makes no sense.

30. ironhunter

ironhunter

funny, a fella can say "I just don't like the looks of the new Ford trucks", and it's taken in the context it is meant...but say "I don't like the looks of a T-bucket", or " I don't care for fiberglass cars", or "I think Chevy engines are ugly", and my god, you might as well have bent somebody's grandma over a log. Good god, fellers, how many on here are off the tit? You guys smell bullshit about the 2.2, and I'm having to roll up my pants legs to get out of the tears! The question was asked why T-buckets don't get any respect, and he is getting answers as to why some folks don't like them as well as why some folks just love them. Had he asked "what do you like about T-buckets," I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one that would have passed up the thread, as I don't have anything to say to that question.

When I see a T-bucket, 55-57 bowtie, Mustang, Deuce, or any other of the many dime-a-dozen cars at a car show, I walk on by. Not to disrespect the owner (and none is taken if the owner is a sensible adult), but to look at something that I see as interesting. Got nothing to do with superiority (like some with an inferiority complex have stated), but rather there is only so much time and I'm not going to spend time goo-goo'ing and ga-ga'ing over something that I personally have no interest in. I don't know what kinda wierd reality you fellas live in, but in mine there is no requirement to pat every guy at the car show on the back and present burnt offerings at an altar to all the cars there. We look at what we like to look at, and disregard the rest. That's life, and once your poop turns from yellow to brown you'll learn that.

If you want to build a T-bucket, then by all means go for it! Glass or steel, ugly sbc or a flathead, real vintage OHV V-8, or a banger...it really don't matter! Some people will like it, and some won't. Just grow some balls first, and that goes for all the rest of the whiney-asses crying foul when somebody gives their reasons why they don't share your affection for a specific type of car. Put mama's nipple back in your mouth for a few more months...you ain't gonna build or own a car that everybody likes so get over it. If everybody loved T-buckets, there would have never been tall coupes or sedans, or Model A's for that matter. If everyone loved Deuces so much, there would never have been a 33 Ford, or no reason for the other companies to have stayed in business at all. Simply put for the simple minds, build what you want and drive it, and don't ask why some folks don't like it if you don't want the answer! Now go clean up your face and stop sniffling, and build/drive a f**kin car of your choice!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.