Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why do T-buckets get no respect?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xlr8, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

too late for him, everyone is already throwing the dirt in on top. :D

2. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I believe we may be dealing with a troll here, I even tried reading his post backwards and it still makes no sense. [​IMG]

3. This car rules and gets much respect!

[​IMG]

This car, not so much.....

[​IMG]

I don't know why. I call 'em as I see 'em.

BTW - I place the Fad T and the mural painted van in the same category. I didn't like much that came out of the automotive world in the 1970s! :eek:

4. RichG

RichG

'nuf said...:D

Attached Files:

5. adavis

adavis

That's a picture I'd love to see. And you think YOU'RE venting on some ignorance.:D

6. I like both those cars, so I got no taste, go figure :rolleyes:

I don't want to own a fad T but I get a kick out of seeing guy's running around in them with their knees pushing up their ear lobes and a big grin on their face. Did you ever know a T-Bucket guy who had that, my street rod is better than yours attitude?

7. I don't want to own a moped, but I get a kick out of seeing the fun some people have riding on them, too! :eek::D

Nah, they know better! :D:D:D
    But the real answer is, of course!
    However, my hot rod was better than his street rod! :D

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  8. fitzee

fitzee

You get all kinds of hot rodders saying this.Hell half the responds on here are saying just that about T- buckets!!

9. skunx1964

skunx1964

727s are 3 speeds. period. gearvendor doubles this, yes. thats 6, not 8. newer 518s have 4 speeds, basically a 727 plus overdrive.

10. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

this explains a LOT

11. DaveyJonez

DaveyJonez
    from Houston

Man, I'm pissed...

All those years of buying blowers from PSI @ 10 grand a pop, and the MOST boost we ever made was 47 pounds (@ 10,200 rpm).

I coulda saved 50 grand and just bought me a "holset turbo charger offa 5.9 cummins"

I got hosed.

12. ironhunter

ironhunter

I dunno about everone else, but they don't get any from me because (A) anybody with a phone and a credit card can call up Speedway and have one dropped on their driveway, (B) because 99.9% of them have a shitty-looking SBC in them and the owner thinks he has a "traditional" hot rod, and (C)there are too damned many of them! A hot rod should be unique if you want attention and respect. Anybody can copy what someone else has already done a blue million times.

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You mean like hi-boy deuces with a flathead or SBC, tear drop or Poncho tail lights, 40 Ford dashes and steering wheels, split bones, Halibrands and a QC? Or Model As with a flathead or SBC, tear drop or Poncho tail lights, 40 Ford dashes and steering wheels, split bones, Halibrands and a QC? Or Model Ts with a flathead or SBC, tear drop or Poncho tail lights, 40 Ford dashes and steering wheels, split bones, Halibrands and a QC?

LOL Gary

14. bblue34

bblue34

after seein all the cool t on the hamb they have my complete resprct THANKS

15. ironhunter

ironhunter

Uh...those don't get nothing from me either :)

16. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

There's your problem.........................
    .............."but I get a little put off by people's reaction" So, you're saying that you wouldn't build something just because somebody else would knock you for it?

Really?

I get a little "put off" by people chiming in on a thread, merely for bashing somebody else's choice of build. Then the idiots, to bolster their ego, proport that "their" choice of build is superior to somebody else's, with the majority of them having never personally built a 'rod of their own. Like the nimrods that think hot rodding was birthed in the 1970s when they were born, ignoring everything that happened forty years before that, when "T"s and "A"s were the choice. It's the same old thumb-sucking attitude reborn, where a few (not a large number, thankfully) of the current generation has this idiotic imagination that somehow they are smarter than anybody else and "dream" that what they think counts.

They diss "cookie cutter" cars, but are themselves cookie cutter, in the sense that they thrive on being like the rest of the people in their own little group, unable to stand up for what they personally like, instead saying what they think others will approve of.
    Re- the disclaimer type statements; "I like them, BUT, since my friends don't, so I have to pretend I don't. or I won't be popular...... or, "I don't have a hot rod, but if I did, I would...................... or..."I can't really think of a reason to diss "T"s but given that, I'll pretend I don't like them because a lot of them are fiberglass". .... or, "etc, etc.

Why don't people "respect" "T's? Anybody that "respects" anything in life, don't diss somebody else's choice of build. A lot of people respect other people's choices and leave it at that. We all have preferences, but most of us don't feel superior by that. I can't think of any car of any build design that I wouldn't park beside at a show and have an open/respectful converstion with the owner. To harbour underlying distaste for any sort of build would be below me.

"Respect" is not a word used in the same paragraph to excuse being narrow-minded. "Prefer" is the word to use when stating one's tastes.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  17. Some of us T owners don't do it like this, because we don't have access to the like of Speedway and wouldn't use them anyway. I personally do feel the SBC is a traditional motor, been around over 50 years, bang for buck you can't beat them. There are a lot of T's around some are really unique (either good or bad) you just got to look to see no two are alike, at least not down here.

My current project is unique, and i don't give a rats arse if others don't get what i'm doing. I'm building this for me, Stretched steel RPU body on underslung frame, 130" WB, 5" ground clearance, BB Chev, 6 carbs and 4:11 gears, and if others don't like it i don't care!

18. fitzee

fitzee

A I don`t have a credit card!!
    B Mine has a shitty looking BBC and what typs of hot rod is it? one I built!
    C there is only 3 in these parts and 100`s of 50`s cars. that unique enough for you?

Attention is something a spoiled kid wants! and respect is something you get when you don`t bitch about other peoples cars!!

19. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Respect? I thought we buy these cars, built these cars, drive these cars to have fun with. If you are looking for respect, I guess you are missing the point. When I bought my bucket it didn't look at all like it does now, and I made all the changes to it not to get respect, but to get a "look" that I preferred, not to change the opinion of some guy that doesn't like T Buckets. This has become a very expensive hobby and a T Bucket is a cheap way to get into and enjoy this great hobby. I know some guys that put just as much time and sweat into their buckets as the guy with a '32 coupe, but who gets the 1st and the most "looks" - I say "so what"!
    LONG LIVE THE T BUCKET - THE ORIGINAL HOT ROD!!

Attached Files:

20. Just to show no two T's are alike here a few shots of my old T, it evolved over a few years and doesnt even look like the same car!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SBC, Victor Jr, 780 Holley etc, 11.0 @ 125MPH

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same SBC, four Holley 94's, limefire headers, 8,40x15's on the back, 12.0 @ 120MPH.

Two different looks/styles or whatever but either way it rocked my boat and thats what matters!

21. fitzee

fitzee

Mine when through a few changes too.

As I found it

[​IMG]

Quick flick and on the road in 2000

[​IMG]

Few small changes and what it looked like in 2004

[​IMG]

Add a few flames in 2005

[​IMG]

22. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Like it or not, t-buckets are considered the bottom rung of the hotrod/custom ladder, just one step higher than a volkswagen, Prowler, PT Cruiser, or import.

I think its due to the kit-car availability of it. You can order one from that prestigious coachbuilding firm of JC Whitney.

Add the horror of what people did to these things in the 70s(which I actually like, in all their spirit of '76 glory :D hehe). I think they also suffer from being associated iwth the custom vans of the 70's , at least in my mind(which I also like)

There's just so many awful ones built to mullet head standards, I think that's what people expect when they hear 't bucket'.

You can build cool ones like shown in this thrread, but you're really paddling against the stream, resale will suffer, and people will still look down their noses a little at even the nicest one, i.e. 'it's really great looking, for a t-bucket'.

JMHO

Also they're f-ing ugly and people look goofy driving them.

23. "Nah, they know better!" LMAO!!!

Hey, that's okay you can ride my moped :D

24. FuelFC

FuelFC

And you forgot the Hoosier 22" Top Fuel slicks. That would have helped the 330 to 1,000 ft traction issues. Not to mention the 60' times for both F/C and T/F. Why the hell didn't anyone tell us about those? Damn good 9" and axles btw to take that tire patch.

I want to see pictures of this ride. And I'll wait two weeks for em.

Faster than a 250K Comp car.

I am impressed ;) Never mind the running of 75% Nitro on a tunnel ram.

25. FuelFC

FuelFC

And I like T's too btw. Like Booger King, have it your way and drive the shit out of it.

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Insanely cool transformation. Gary

27. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

I don't respect cars, I respect there builders/drivers, a fine example is the rolling bones. Respect is never given, it must be earned. An awful lot of the bucket owners I have met were kinda like RUB's they bought into the game and run around spouting bullshit. If ya don't belive me all you gota do is read the above posts by Cactus Jack.

28. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

I feel many here are confusing respect with attention.

Part of the problem here is definition. A T-Bucket and a T-Roadster.... different animals all together.

IMHO it is the history of the steel car you are Hot Rodding that makes the project, tradition is what begins the "respect" factor. Taking an original steel 1927 Ford Roadster and building it into a Hot Rod is just on a different level than the exact same chassis topped off with a new fiberglass bucket. Again, IMHO. There is wisdom in the old adage "Steel is Real".

With a "new" fiberglass bucket there is no history, thus little or no respect to be had. Attention, yes, respect, nope.

The build is the journey, the finished product the destination. If the journey doesn't start with any tradition then you won't get much respect here on the HAMB.

But you always have "The T-Bucket Forum".

If your lookin for respect on the HAMB for a T bucket your "Lookin for love in all the wrong places."

29. Steel bodied T's are great but what if you live in an area (as I do) where you have better luck finding a fresh fu#ked giraffe than a steel T?? The a$$holes here who DO own pre-war cars would rather see them rot than sell them to anyone. I got tired of trying to find a steel T or even a cowl to build on for that matter and ordered a Spirit body. The only T components I could acquire was the radiator shell, amp panel, crossmembers and a cowl lamp so I am using them in my roadster build. I think you guys who live where all the cars were not ate up by rust, scrapped or hoarded by lunatics don't understand how hard it is for us in less fortunate areas.
    Wp

30. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Some of you guys Kill me You go buy a 32 hi boy a 1940 ford coup or wait a 40 Willis coup and think they are the cats ass. They are nice I like them alot and have owned a few But thats not my type of car I build my CARS for me I don't need ANYBODY'S RESPECT for what I own, buy or build if you don't like it keep it to your self. It's not YOUR car. I have found people that bitch and mone about what you have WOULD LOVE to HAVE one but their mamaswon't let them. And look in my album I own alot of cars some built by me some bought by me. Don't realy care about what other people think about me or my cars. I'm not in it for respect I'm in it for the love of the hobbie and me. thanks Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.