Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The 1955-1956 Plymouth and Dodge Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrBelvedere2, Feb 12, 2009.

1. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

How much trouble was it to put the 361 big block into your car. I am looking at a 55 belvedere 2 door sedan and wanted to put a 383 or 361 into it. This would be my first build and the car I am looking at is complete with the original drivetrain (V8 automatic) but has been sitting for 20 years. Any guidance? What are popular front suspension mods or swaps for these cars? Thanks!!!

2. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

I know wheres theres a wagon that looks exactly like this car , same colors a 2 dr with a hemi

3. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

Sickboy ....
    'Cool ass hell.

4. torch2099

torch2099
    from SoCal

I've put a camaro front clip in mine for the 5.7 hemi and it fits just fine.
    And I have seen a couple others also use the camaro clip.

5. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Kustom 50,, Can you get some Pictures??

putting a bid block into one of these Plymouths is Tough.. I was going to put a 383 magnum into mine.. but that would of meant cutting the tranny hump and relocate..
    I opted for a 56 Fury 303 instead.. and put a 56 Manual tranny behind it. saving the floor. I think I did the right thing..

Chilberto likes this.
  6. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

[​IMG]
    Busted

Waldoz likes this.
  7. Progress pics of the '56 Plymouth wagon...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It'll be ready for me to pick it up the weekend of March 21st!!! That's thirteen kinds of cool! I can not wait to start installing the 440!

8. KUSTOM 50

KUSTOM 50

let me see if he will let me back in there. And will try to

9. atomickustom

atomickustom

No offense to the Plymouth and '56 Dodge owners, but I think the '55 Dodge is one of the two or three best-looking cars of the 1950s, and the only car I would take over a '55 Chevy. (And for the record I do not own one and never have, so this isn't some sort of "my sh*t is better" attitude. I just love every line on those cars!) I tried to buy one years ago but it was too far gone. Haven't seen a nice 2-door hardtop for sale in my area since then.

10. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    Mine from many moons ago. Radiused rears, hood scoop, tunneled antena, nosed and decked. Front grille and centerbar removed. Lotsa work for a 16 year old kid. Oh yeah, dont forget the mandatory vinyl sprayed on roof.

11. MOPARMETAL

MOPARMETAL

Hey guys, and gals. I'm new to this site....pretty cool. I have made a recent addition to our stable of project cars, a 1956 Plymouth Belvedere 2dr hdtp. It is a rolling chassis. The car was last registered in 1978, and has been in a barn in Oregon for about the last 3 decades. I purchased the car from an older fella named Bill, super cool car guy. The outer sheet metal is all solid, and straight. The trim is all in place, and is in great shape. It will need some love to the floor, and trunk pans.... it is a Mopar after all. The original 277 expired long ago, and is long gone. I got boxes of parts also. Some NOS, some good used items, and lots of literature. The second owner (who was the last to register it) was working slowly but surely to get her back on the road. He went through the brakes, upgrading the master cylinder to a dual resevoir, went through the front, and rear end, new tires, relined the fuel tank, etc... It even has the original 1956 Oregon plates still on the car! The complete interior is there, but is toast. That will probably be the most costly part of this whole project.
    Sorry to ramble on, but I am super stoked on this car. I have only had muscle cars in the past, so this is my first 50's project. Ideally I'd like to put a dual quad early Hemi in her, but the budget won't allow it. I do have a '71 440/727 combo I'd like to put in her. I also have a 66 383/727 combo, but I was thinking that might fit better in the 66 dart project. Does anyone have any advice on motor/transmission mounts, exhaust, etc... I realize the handling will most likely be poor with the stock suspension, but I figure the 440 can't weigh much more than an early Hemi. Any advice / ideas are welcome. I am trying to do this on a shoe string budget, so please keep that in mind. Thanks, and I hope to talk to many of you, on many subjects. Take care.

12. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

MoparMetal let's see some pics!!!! sounds like an awesome car! sounds similiar to mine I found it in a wherehouse in sacramento, been in there since 1978! I found it with the 361 in it already mated up to the powerflite automatic.

Chaz-that car is just freakin sweet...you shoulda kept it!!! (how many times have we all said that?? haha)

13. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

Oh and patrick nice progress pics of the wagon...it's coming along nicely!

14. MOPARMETAL

MOPARMETAL

I'll work on the pics this weekend. I'm going to pull her out of the garage and empty her out, and clean her up a little.

15. captainflight

captainflight

What a great looking ride! Can't believe how these cars are so overlooked. Makes a chevy look plain.

16. Otxoa

Otxoa

Hello everyone. I think this is the thread to put some pictures of my car:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Where can upload more photos of the process ...​

17. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

Ok well i bought the car already running and driving, someone put it in before i got the car. It looks like and easy straight forward swap, although I do know that only the really early 1958-1961 big block will bolt up to the powerflite, later model big blocks will not. Someone made solid motor mounts to mount the 361 in the stock K-frame, i am looking at some rubber mounts from hot heads, the look like they will fit, early hemi mounts look like they will work. Other than that it seems to be a very easy change over. as far as popular front suspension I know Fat Man fab makes a nice stub fame kit, so you can use coil overs and rack and pinion,disc brakes, etc. but I am going to just rebuild my stock front end and use the AAJ Disc brake setup, it bolts right on. Also a guy on moparts says he used a front subframe from a 1985 (i think) 5th ave and it was the same width, and the steering column bolted right on like it was made for the car! hope this helps you out.

18. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

Im satisfied with what I have for a car.. its different..

I like what you all have shown..

Patrick..the 56 Plymouth is looking good...

19. Thanks for starting this thread. Discovered these cars years ago, when a old college buddy showed me his Dad's purple and black 2 door, '56 Plymouth Suburban wagon. Thought it was way cool. Drooled over buying a 4dr wagon a few years back, but the deal fell through.
    Just today, when I was out on a parts run, I spotted a '56 Dodge Coronet 4dr. No front clip, but had way cool fins and the Poly motor un place. Would make a good donor car for a custom. :eek:
    This picture is of my aunt back in the day.She never married and always had swingin' cars, on her executive salary.$$
    JT

20. Not sure why the picture didn't show up, here goes again.

Attached Files:

21. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

These at one time It appears werent very popular.. maybe this give these some new life..:)

The Black and white photo is cool..

22. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

defintely a way cool photo thanks for sharing!

23. 73RR

73RR

Note to MoparMetal, the front suspension is probably better than you expect. AAJ has disc conversion packages to help and numerous rear axles fit the required width. The late mustang with factory discs has been used sucessfully although I am personally fond of the 8.75.

If anyone needs sheet metal for a 55 Dodge 4-door, I have one that is past rebuilding. As usual, the floors are gone but all else is pretty decent.
    Send a PM if you have a need and I'll check the item for you.

24. A '66 - '67 B-body Mopar 8-3/4" rear axle assembly bolts in. That is what is under my '56 wagon.

25. teisco

teisco

Here is my 56. It went to Astonia a couple years ago.

[​IMG]

26. You mean "Estonia" the country, I presume!?

27. teisco

teisco

Yeah, thats it, Estonia,,sounds like a country from a Marx Bros movie,,,last year my '60 poncho went to Sweden. My '66 poncho is not for sale yet but most likely will go overseas. They don't seem to care if it is a more door or not, they just want clean American cars.

28. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

I can't wait to pick up my 8.75 next week! it's out of a 69 charger 3.23 sure-grip. The rear that is in it now will howl when it is on the freeway. AAJ rear and front disc conversion here I come!!!

29. MOPARMETAL

MOPARMETAL

Here are a couple pics from My 56 Belvedere. Next to it is my buddies 55 Nomad straight axle gasser project. It may be for sale/trade. He loves it, but with 2 yound kids...... he doesn't know if he can give it the time it needs.

It was a nice day here in St. Peter Mn. today. Plenty warm, everything is melting. I think it will be the 66 383 going into the Belvedere. I think a dual quad might find it's way on there before the end of the year. What do you think?

Attached Files:

30. MrBelvedere2

MrBelvedere2
    from Davis, CA

looking good moparmetal!!!! solid car for minnesota!!!