Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

They still run at DuQuoin and Springfield.

Hey, Dog, are those newspaper photos out of an old Illustrated Speedway News by any chance?

2. Dog427435

Dog427435

Yes, that was our only source of information on the racing community!

3. Falconred

Falconred

Here's a few for the morning: I was shooting with a friend Mike Fambrough at this race so I'm not sure which are mine and which are his. We jointly shot about twenty something rolls of black and white that week end for the papers. These are just a few prints I found sticking inside an old negative album of the race.

Talledaga start:
    [​IMG]
    Bobby Allison:
    [​IMG]
    Bobby Allison getting ready to qualify:
    [​IMG]
    David Pearson's Hoss Ellington car being pushed from tech after qualifing on the pole.
    [​IMG]

4. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Falconred, that's a fantastic head shot of Bobby. Proves my feeling that candid shots are the best.

Here's one of Mario Andretti on the road course at IRP...

[​IMG]

5. Falconred

Falconred

Indybigjohn, I just added some photos to your Linda Vaughn thread.

Well, I thought it was the one you had posted on last but it is this one.

Linda Vaughn, Miss Hurst picture thread

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  6. Falconred

Falconred

I have always thought those Fairlanes were the sharpest looking Fords of that era. We ran one on dirt and it sure looked fast anyway.

7. Dog427435

Dog427435

8. Dog427435

Dog427435

9. Dog427435

Dog427435

10. felee

felee

Falconred I agree with you about those 66-67 Fairlanes, they have always been my favorite street, drag or roundy round car
    Dog I love those pics of the haulers!
    Great photos and info guys-thanks Indybigjohn

11. Racewriter

Racewriter

I highly recommend Labor Day Weekend at DuQuoin. USAC Silver Crown Sunday night, UMP Modifieds and ARCA on Monday afternoon.

12. TOM KITCHEN

TOM KITCHEN

Don't know if I can get my pictures on or not, but I have detailed Replicas of : '57 Ford "Fireball" Roberts Supercharged Custom, his '56 Ford, his '57 Convert and doing his '57 T-Bird "Battlebird". Also #28 Fred Lorenzens 427 '63 1/2 Galaxie. Tom Kitchen

13. Dog427435

Dog427435

WOW!! Quite the collection!!:D

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Nice stuff, Tom. Love the photo of the Ford with the supercharger on it. 312?

15. That sounds like a winner!

16. Falconred

Falconred

I have seen your '57 in person a couple of times in GA and Pamama city if I remember correctly. Is the Lorenzen car the same one they had in victory lane a number of years ago when Feddy was the grand marshal at Atlanta. I have a couple of photos of in sitting in victory lane if it is.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  17. Falconred

Falconred

Now for a couple for the morning then back to work:

I thought at first that these were at Talladega but have decided they are at Atlanta.

A couple of different shots of Cale, white suit for IROC and yellow for NASCAR:
    [​IMG]

Neil Bonnett ready for the IROC race, right is Mario Andrette and on left is Peter Gregg:
    Darrell Waltrip with Bobby Allison in background, not sure who the driver is on the right:
    [​IMG]

The King again, this time with autograph:
    [​IMG]

18. Falconred

Falconred

Here's a couple from Dixie Speedway in GA 1980: Thanks to slick77fan below who helped supply some of the driver information and date.

Top Left: Ms. NDRA Eva Taylor, Robert Smawly NDRA pres., Micky Swims (promoter Dixie), Driver Billy Teegarden, unknown man
    Top right: #5 Rodney Combs, #P1PE Billy Teegarden, #00 Freddy Smith, #77 Leon Sells (I think)
    Bottom Left: #19 Ray Brooks, #52 Horsefly Fowler, #30 ???, #74 Doug Kenimer in Dub Mealer's car
    Bottom Right: #29, Stan Massey, #31???, # D7 Jerry Inman
    [​IMG]

Top Right: #41 Buck Simmons, Top Left #FMM Mike Duval, Bottom Left #p00ls Billy Teegarden, Bottom Right #22 Billy Thomas (There was an article in super chevy magazine about this Corvette body and Stock Car Fiberglass, I traveled down to Phoenix (sp) City, AL and took the photos for the article)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  19. Falconred

Falconred

Here's a couple from Georgia International in Jefferson, GA

Bill Elliot:
    [​IMG]

Bobby #51 Anderson (father) and Phil #24 Anderson (Son)
    [​IMG]

In Case you notice a resemblance the 24 car is the same car as the 9 after it was sold to Phil Anderson

20. Racewriter

Racewriter

Eva Taylor.

Unforgettable.

21. TOM KITCHEN

TOM KITCHEN

Yes the #28 Fred Lorenzen car was built by LaFayette Ford (Patrick) in 1980 and seen in TV ads with a GT-40. Ford borrowed it and blew the motor (390) and paid $16K for a 2x4s-'63-427 thats in it now. Car For Sale for $18K.

22. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Oh yeah, Racewriter, she was unforgettable. She was also Ms. All-Pro if I recall correctly.

23. Falconred

Falconred

Alright, I may be forced to post a couple of better photos I have of her......

To tide you over here are a few shots of Leon Sells for slick77fan:
    [​IMG]

24. slick77fan

slick77fan

Thanks Falconred. Those NDRA pics are fom 1980. Found the program with lineup sheet from the race. The white #41 is Buck Simmons who was the race winner. Doug Kenimer is in the Dud Meeler #74. The pools car was driven by L.D. Ottinger that day. The Pipe car is Billy Teegarden. Billy T is the driver in the pic with Eva, Smawley and Swims. Larry Moore who drove the pipe car in 79 was in the #1m. The top three finish from the race was Simmons - Combs - Moore in that order.

25. Falconred

Falconred

Thanks for the info. I need to write some of this stuff on the back of the photos as my memory is going and there might not be someone around who remembers.

Here are a few from Dixie NDRA in '79. The 90 car is Bobby Thomas and the 12 car is Fulmer Lance, he is driving Ben Thomas' cadet car (same chassie as a latemodel) with a latemodel engine. Fulmer was going to drive for them at that time because Buck Simmons had just signed to drive a Winstoncup car. Sorry I can't remember the owner of Bucks cup car but I have some photos somewhere.

[​IMG]

26. Racewriter

Racewriter

Kenny Childers, the Black Diamond Coal #12. Buck drove it, as well as a number of others including Lennie Pond and Jimmy Hensley. Driver quality was never the problem.

As I remember, Childers was also L.D.'s sponsor when LD was running the national Sportsman circuit.

EDIT: The full driver list for Childers, over 3 seasons:

Harry Gant
    Neil Bonnett
    Butch Lindley
    Jack Ingram
    Lennie Pond
    Buck Simmons
    Donnie Allison
    Buddy Baker
    David Pearson
    Tim Richmond
    Total 59 races, 4 top-5's. Donnie Allison lasted the longest with 13 races. Is that a hell of a driver roster or what?

Here's Harry making a pit stop at Martinsville:

[​IMG]

Tim Richmond, in the last race for Childers:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  27. Falconred

Falconred

Here's some Buck Simmons, Top Left is Taladeqa and the rest are Atlanta. These are 1980 I think.

[​IMG]

28. slick77fan

slick77fan

The NDRA race at Dixie was a big deal from 79-81. The biggest purse on the circuit. They cut the purse way back in 82 and it became just another NDRA race. The thing i remember about the 79 race is the incredible show Larry Moore put on. He blew an engine in the #p1 in the heat race. Jumped in the Brad Malcuit #79 started last in the consy and won the race. Started last in the feature finished second in the feature and was closing on the winner Bud Lunsford when the race ended.

29. Racewriter

Racewriter

Falcon, I think you and I have some of the same favorite drivers...

30. slick77fan

slick77fan

Yeah Racewriter Childers did sponsor L.D. and i think Butch Lindley when he won the LMS title. Notice in one of the Buck pics from Atlanta he is beside the #90 his old short track rival Jody Ridley. When Dixie Speedway was asphalt from 73-76 these two were the dominant drivers. In 1973 they had a 20 lap match race with the winner getting a ride in the Junie Donleavey car in what was then the Dixie 500. Jody won and that started his relationship with Junie that resulted in him getting the full time ride years later.