Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Historic Stock Car Photos

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indybigjohn, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Falconred

Falconred

Here's a few more dirt cars, I will try to do some more asphalt and Nascar later. I have got to get to work.
    Charlie Hughs (39), Dwayne Hughs (40), Buck Simmons (41), Doug Kinnamer (42)
    [​IMG]

2. slick77fan

slick77fan

Thanks Falconred !!! I remember all of those cars. The best racing i ever saw was Rome Speedway in the 70's. Watching a group of drivers i call the Georgia Legends. Bud Lunsford- Buck Simmons- Doug Kenimer- Jody Ridley- Leon Sells- Charlie Mincey-Charlie Padgett- Leon Archer-Charles Hughes. Loved those old Chevelles and Fairlanes they drove in the early 70's. The thing i most remember about this group was how clean they raced each other. Thanks for bringing back some great memories. Keep them coming !!!

3. Falconred

Falconred

I'll add some more later. I have photos of most of those drivers. Charlie Padgett had quit before I started taking photos but he did some flaging after that I think and he and Truman Padgett raced against us when I was helping Fulmer in the Fords. I'll do a composet of Bud at Dixie when he won the NDRA race there. If you saw the shirts Bud used to sell with the car on the front and 1148 (or some such number) wins written on it, the photo of the car was one of mine. I still have a copy somewhere and I will try to find and post.

Here I am in my mis-spent youth. I can now call mid to late twenties as youth as I am about to reach 60.
    [​IMG]
    The photo with the Woods Brothers car was at Daytona just after Cale had just spun Pearson. The other is at Atlanta.

By the way, my father in law had a Union 76 station so I got all kinds of Union 76 gear free and that's why I am wearing it.

The photo at Daytona was taken during the time that Jimmy Carter was running for President and I followed him around the garage area for a good while on saturday. I had a new camera system and I ended up shooting 36 frames with out the film going through the camera, well, so much for history.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  4. slick77fan

slick77fan

I think the flagman your thinking of was Leon Padgett. He was a cousin of Charlie and Truman. I was at the NDRA race that Bud won at Dixie. Saw him win one at Rome too. He started in the rear at Rome and was in the lead in 50 laps. Yeah i remember those shirts Bud had.

5. Falconred

Falconred

You are right about Leon, I guess I had brain fade. Where does the slick77fan come from? Seems to me that they used to call Leon Sells "Slick" but I don't remember for sure. I'm thinking again (dangerous as it seems) did Charlie Padgett run the number 16? I have some photos of the 16 car with "Charlie" on the door and now that I think back I believe it was Charlie Padgett.

Here's Bud at Dixie NDRA:
    [​IMG]

6. slick77fan

slick77fan

Yeah you guessed it. I was a big #77 Leon "Slick" Sells fan. The #16 pic you have is Charlie Mincey. Charlie Padgett was #34. Cool pics of Bud from the NDRA race.

7. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

don't those racecars just look so much better than what they drive today? jmho:cool:

8. Falconred

Falconred

Right again about Mincey, it's easy for me to remember when someone tells me, thanks. I wonder if anyone has any photos of the old Charles Barrett-Dean Nix Stoval Ford-Mercury sponcered cars? Or the Phantom 309 Fords of ???darn memory. What about Harold Fryer. I was busy changing quick change gears back then and didn't take any photos.

This was about the time the "rounded" car first started as seen by the photo of Rodney Combs car and the unpainted car of Sells. This is just before the streched cars and the slab sided cars.

The top two are of Carlie Mincey, the bottom right is of Bud Lunsfered in his older car and Rodney Combs (5) in the newer style and the bottom left is Leon Sells' new car that he had picked up the day before the race and hadn't had time to paint. I think it was a Howe car but can't remember for sure.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  9. Racewriter

Racewriter

Speaking as someone who has raced a modern dirt late model and plans to do so again....

Hell yes they look better! In '94, one guy at our track skinned his car with a stock appearing '94 Camaro instead of the slabs. Best looking car there.

10. Charlie 427

Charlie 427

Great stuff. Lorenzen was the man. Too bad NASCAR is now populated by sissies driving jap junk and other things that aren't really cars.

11. k9racer

k9racer

Next time you talk to slick get him to tell you about his street driven 56 chevy. It had a Paul McDuffie engine 3 carbs and unknown cubic inch.{{{I think it had a stroker. }}and he got over 20 tickets in one night. And ask about racing Cabbage Pendley at the industrial park. Old slick was a very good asphalt driver also.. Bobby......

12. slick77fan

slick77fan

Your right k9racer Slick was good on aphalt too. This was when they would race the same car on dirt one night and asphalt the next. The one thing Slick could do better than racing was talking. The man would hold court for hours in the pits after a race. Oh yeah that speeding ticket story is probaly over 30 by now LOL !!!

13. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Andy Hampton on the dirt in ARCA, with a former Nichels Charger. Not sure where this one was taken...

[​IMG]

14. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Ed Howe - one BAD dude in the upper Midwest and also in the early days of ASA...

[​IMG]

15. Dog427435

Dog427435

16. Dog427435

Dog427435

17. Dog427435

Dog427435

18. Dog,
    Looks like the Gordy Hemrich super stock from Langley, BC, Canada, at Langley Speedway, circa 1966/67.

The no. 86 below looks like the Tom Berrow super stock, again at Langley, mid-1970s.

But you're in PA, not BC.

19. k9racer

k9racer

I have some bad news for the ga guys. I just found out Harvey Jones passed away last week.

20. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Norm Nelson at the Yankee 300 on the IRP Road Course in 1964. Photo by Dennis Unger...

[​IMG]

21. Dog427435

Dog427435

The Terri Temperton shot of the 86 is Berrows - but the #33 '57 Chevy shot in 1971 shows as Will Norton.
    Here's a shot of Gordie in a very similar looking Pontiac.

[​IMG]

22. Dog427435

Dog427435

[​IMG]

and Marvin Panch.

23. Dog427435

Dog427435

24. Dog427435

Dog427435

25. catbox

catbox

[​IMG]

this is a shot of my dad on the right and his little brother on the left. they were dirt poor but found money enought o race in the mid sixtys at skagit speedway in washington.

the car i believe is a 56 ford with a 312 police interceptor. the cage they first had built for it was feeble at best when they knocke dout one of the bars on accident. they took it to a different guy to rebuild it and he proceeded to break the bars out with a sledge hammer. he ended up reusing the 3" tubing and when all was said and done it took 40 pounds of welding stick to hold the stuff togther.

it was a goood thing they had that done as my pop went ahead and rolled this car sometime later seven times on the guard rail. they always strapped him in like this was going to be the out come of every race so he walked away from this little accident...

26. Nice pic and story. Think it was a '58 Thunderbird, though.
    [​IMG]

27. Dog427435

Dog427435

28. Dog427435

Dog427435

29. Dog427435

Dog427435

30. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

i would have loved to see the big arca/usac cars on the dirt. must have been a helluva show!when was the last time arca ran on the dirt? or do they still?