Register now to get rid of these ads!

International "barn yard find" Do you have a Salt Flat/ Dirt Push Truck or opinion?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Customikes, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

Got an International Travelall/ Travelette 1200c that sat in my neighbors yard for the last ten or so years after the carb base cracked.

I know its not exactly period correct (I officially apologize:)) but it will make a great Salt Flat Style, "Bad Word", Shop/ Push Truck.

Yes, the price was unbeatable!!!

We're getting her going again right now and are trying to figure out where to go with her.

Semigloss black at some point and a likely hard cut on the top, lowered, white walls, Moon Eye hubcaps, Semi truck chrome, narrowed front bumper with a push board in the middle....

What would you do? Looking for ideas, examples and opinions :eek:

(OMG, he did not ask for an opinion did he?:D).

If you have some great push truck picture, I ask you to plz share them for ideas for the rest of us.

Thanks before hand.

[​IMG]

See more here www.Customikes.com/international
    Mike

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd wash it, put new tires on it and a good wood plank push bar on the front and call it done. Why the hell does everyone who finds an old rig sitting around think it has to be flat friken black?

3. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I agree with mr48. Just warsh it & plank it.. you dont want to be on the salt in a flat black anything, and chops on trucks made after 54 usually dont look right (opinion). looks good how it sits

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  4. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

Easy one Mr48chev.

Its simply because I happen to like "flat friken black"...:D

It also helps my decision that someone painted it with a brush and its peeling/ bubbling really bad...

Mike

www.Customikes.com

5. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

OK that's a good point. Maybe with a flat friken white roof? :D

Yes we will wash it and drive it first when we get done with the tanks, pumps, hoses, brakes etc etc etc...

I'll post pix as we go.

Thanks,

Mike

www.Customikes.com

6. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

You asked for opinions. Your plans sound ghey to me.

Be sure to add 50 Iron Crosses and spider webs and skullz to your rat rod.

7. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

We're all entitled to our opinions. Yes I asked for yours. Appreciate your comments.

Unfortunately, I do not happen to like either of those suggestions. Neither would ever go on the truck.

"Rat Rod" was a loose and probably not a great choice of term but now I got to live with it. I like my stuff safe and functional.

Still would like some good pix of a few cool older salt flat style trucks if anyone got them.

Thanks,

Mike

www.Customikes.com

8. g-lover51

g-lover51
    from Dallas Ga

Thats just too damn funny, true, but funny none the less

9. Scrap the mirrors, 2" drop in front, make it as smooth riding as you can without one single rattle.

Starting to pick up that flat black is going to be somewhat dated in a couple of years.

10. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I agree with the others....I've seen ALOT of old vintage pics of the flats....and I've never seen one black push truck....I have however seen MANY cream and tan colored push trucks (maybe cause all the pics are in black and white?) I would find a good cream colored or off tan coloer to paint it, drop it a few gentle inches and slick the mirrors...bolt on a good hardwood plank and drive the everliving shit outta it....

that truck wont look good in black unless its gloss and its as straight as an arrow

11. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Aside from the mirrors, my head would turn really hard if I saw it going down the street as is. If you "personaize" it much, I would probably say "what a waste". The coolness is that it is that old and noone before you "personalized" it. Tweak it and that will be gone.

12. rdachsdog

rdachsdog
    from michigan

I've also got one of these, a 61 half-ton short bed, ex Air Force truck. Planning to install the Cummins and auto trans and rear from my 90 3/4 ton Dodge, maybe mounting the IH body on the Dodge chassis or clipping the front. Will probably repaint with all military markings put back on.

13. Good advice.

14. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Flat black will make that truck look awful. Go with a light to medium color. If you want to be cheap go single stage, and yes shiney. It'll last longer and be easier to take care of. I don't know if I'd lose the mirrors, you may want to pull a trailer at some point.

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

If it were mine, I'd make a FUNCTIONAL salt truck!
    Lighter-color body, as others have said. Or dark Hunter Green (only because I always like that color on a truck).
    Black steel wheels and blackwalls, without hubcaps. I'm really digging the rear wheels, from what I can see.
    For God's Sake, don't chop it!
    The roof should be a contrasting color... just the roof, not the pillars.
    I'd put some Trucker Mirrors on it, in place of those huge door killers. The rectangular ones that mount above and below the vent window.
    And they I'd finish it with a vintage aluminum bed cap, painted to match the rest of the truck. Some place to stash your tools and gear, and even sleep.
    Vintage utility is cool.
    Oh, and maybe vintage spot lights on each side--sometimes you need a little extra light.
    -Brad

16. How come everyone and their mother's bridge club finds these deals laying around EXCEPT me? :mad: I'm dying for something like that... (jealous rant over)

Anyway, I agree with the "wash and wear" philosphy espoused by others but... it's your truck and if flat black is what you want then do that. Enjoy the blistering sun on the salt flats with all that black solar sucking paint to act as a gigantic heat sink. :rolleyes::eek:

Seriously, cool find and I'm still a bit green with envy. Have fun with it.

17. paint the steelies black, trim rings and chrome nuts with your new tyres fitted then re-asses the situation

18. scarylarry

scarylarry

I'd ask for opinions, get fifty of them telling me the obvious best thing to make it look vintage and cool, then fuck it up by doing exactly the opposite.

19. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

When are people just gonna do what they like? I love reading H.A.M.B. threads and shit but at the end of the day I'm not building my rigs to gain the approval of anyone. If you want it flat black paint it flat black when your sick of that go to home depot and get a case of Krylon purple or whatever.
    just my 2 cents.

20. retromotors

retromotors

Had a '68 Travelall (2 WD wagon style) and I really liked it. Mine had the 345 "school bus" engine, I'd assume yours is the same 'cause it's a 1200 series.

A couple notes/observations ... and yes, an opinion or two:

The 345 is a horse! Exactly the engine to push/pull anything you want.

It likes gas .... lots and lots and LOTS of gas!
    Mine was dead stock ... maybe some tuning or newer intake components could get you some mileage, but mine sucked!
    School bus motor = school bus mileage.

My truck and several other ones I've seen were rotted out in the firewall area. Seems the big open vents ahead of the windshield like to collect leaves and debris, then the inevitable happens. If yours has escaped this fate so far, you might want to consider adding some sort of screens to the vents.

DO NOT (like I did!) assume that when your truck suddenly quits running and will only backfire like a mortar barrage when being cranked that it has jumped cam timing!
    I pulled the whole freakin' thing apart only to find an immense gear drive setup. Believe me, this shit ain't going nowhere .... EVER!
    Just pull out the Champion plugs, file them where they belong and replace them with anything else ... you'll be good to go.

Now the opinion section:

Satin or flat black .... Nah.
    I actually like satin black on some stuff, but generally older bodies with more curves to sorta accent the sheen. IMHO your truck is gonna look like a big square black turd. (Or maybe I shoulda put that more delicately?)

On a more functional basis, as has been pointed out in an earlier post:
    salt flats = sun
    sun + black vehicle = misery
    Trust me on this, I live in the deep south - hot, humid and sunny. You really don't want a dark color.

The chop .... Nah.
    Chopped tops are the new flat black!:rolleyes:

Anyway, all given in good fun. I like your truck, good luck with whatever you do with it.

21. A delicate black turd ?

22. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

That thing already has a strong identity and it's not a chopped flat black push truck.

Celebrate the ole girl for what she is, a battle tank. Maybe clean it up with better looking mirrors and small details. But anything else comes across as 16 year-old kidish. You know, the kid trying to deck out his hand me down 4 door 85 nissan as some kind of performance car.

That truck's so cool you don't need to try any harder. Clean it up, fix it up, run it proudly. If the new paint job isn't glossy, you're taking a step backward. JMHO

Good luck!

23. rick finch

rick finch

Is it going to be a true "salt-flat" push truck, or just another poser?:confused:

24. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

Hey all. A lot of great advice :cool:, some jab's :D. I appreciate it.

I know, In the end its only me that I need to satisfy but a lot of you guys got a keen eye and have seen other stuff than I have.

The truck will evolve as it goes. Priority is to get it running and driving safe and reliable.

I'm going to rape my dually for clean seats, stereo etc for quick comfort and good tunes etc cause I already have it and it does not cost me anything...

I really like the black tire/wheel w/ chrome trim and lugs. The rear rims are nice and deep. That's much better than the Moon disc's and cheaper to boot.. thanks for that one.

Got to get rid off the front beadlock rims...:eek: Got any deep six lugs for sale?

Now that you mention it, cream or light tan with a white top could look good to.

I remember seeing a push truck in an older Hot Rod Mag. with similar colors. It was on the ground looking good.

Now I got the faded image lingering in my brain (my memory ain't getting any better:rolleyes:). The suggestion made me remember it. Thanks. I have to think about that one but paint is way down the road.

I've seen some trucks with the plank across the whole front. I'm not a wood worker so what type of hard wood/ thickness would be strong enough to actually push with and not snap? (I'm going to actually "use" this truck)

Figured if I put a larger flat chome bumper with a wear board on it it would be stronger and more usable without hurting the truck..

Anyone got any pix of some push trucks for ideas?

Thanks for all of your input. Appreciate it.

Mike

www.Customikes.com/International

25. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

26. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I tend to agree with the others. Old trucks look really good in their work clothes.

Doing too much just looks like the old farmer with his hair slicked down and in an uncomfortable suit, just trying to get through church so he can change back into his overalls.

Keep the old boy in his overalls.

27. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

white turds are generally even MORE delicate than the black ones :D

28. Ok i'll play
    monkee mobile pick up ......... Remove the roof add pheaton soft top with chopped windshield
    blower and zoomie mega phone pipes

SEMI TRUCKS HAVE COOL LARGE /TALL BUMPERS WITH HOOKS AND LITES

edsel horse collar grille
    add daytona /super bird style wing combo light bar -towing boom..
    Keep it 4 wheel drive and bag it
    i did not say i would play nice..

29. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I think the pushbar sounds poserish.

A real pushbar is tall, wide, and ungainly. Because real world pushing involves uneven surfaces and heights. You're not just protecting the truck, you're protecting the tail end of what you're pushing.

Dirt push trucks outnumber salt pushers 1000 to one. They typically use wrecker frontends, or heavy rough cut wood beams. Pine 2x12s need a support backer. Lotta guys running poly-lam beams too.

On rough riding trucks, hugely heavy front bumpers can cause havoc with ride quality unless counterbalanced with something heavy out back.

good luck

30. Terraizer

Terraizer

Cool Travelette, looks to be a 1968 should have 8 lug wheels instead of the earlier wide 6 lug. It could have a 266, 304, or 345 V8 or even a big six BG-265, i have had a few 1200 4x4's with 304's, 345's and 392's and with a good tune up got in the 14-15MPG range loaded or empty consitantly. Most parts are easily found at a local parts store for it other then Brake drums, if it need a brake drum get ready to pay a arm and leg for one thats if you can find one. They are good old trucks and the ones i have had over the years never let me down unlike the late model Diesels i have had.