Register now to get rid of these ads!

model kits..WHERE ARE THEY NOW

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 60srailjob, Jan 10, 2009.

1. I was just looking at a box the other day marked 'models' inside I found about 6 models I built when I was 12. Im 47 now .WOW a 35 year time warp it was cool! I had totally forgot about them.

2. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

[​IMG]
    And the Ghoul freakin rocked!! My older brother had one of his models blown up on the show.

No Doubt Man......that went on for the entire run of the programing. Guys would send models into the tv station for him to blow up on air ! ! ! he crossed the line when he stuck M-80 in dead frogs mouth ! they shut him down

3. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

So THAT'S were all that cool stuff went to!....mine is all buried in the archives of my basement!

4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

ain't this cool 99.9% of us on here are adults,most 40 or abouve years old and what do we all have in common,TOYS...............er collectables.....uh a love for all thing automotive.dang, i forgot about my gas powerd .049 bug/dune buggy/rail job.................................................:D

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Ha! I had a couple dozen that I made, at about 13 years old, and I lined them all up then blew them up with fire crackers. My Dad said I was nuts to destroy stuff that I had worked on so hard. It was just "stuff to me".

6. Luckily all couple hundred models don't take up as much room as the hundreds of feet of slot car track and accessories i have stored too..
    Original futura and all the charger promo's..
    Must resist going to dig some out right now..
    Never ,never never gonna grow up

i have sat down with friends kids doing there first models teaching them how to lower them, kit bash wheels and tires, and altering front axles so the wheels look to be turned , adding window tint so the interior would not show ... The friends wouldnt let me play the next time as they wanted the kids to follow the directions sheeeese..

Heck i buy almost unfinished models found at garage sales and .found the big deuce roadster this spast spring ...
    When i was real young we'd go thru the area dumps looking for model boxes, spare parts , decals even sprues from discarded models

mom always wondered where the cock roaches came from
    i think i know.. Now .??

7. Sadly, in the trash.

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Regret selling some of the finished models years ago, unfinished kits are stashed in the basement. Unfinished models led to unfinished real cars. Question I always wanted answered was, Why did they make 1/24 and 1/25 scale models? I was a big AMT fan and often thought some part from a Revell kit might work, none ever did.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  9. WILLY O

WILLY O

Some real nice collections on this thread.

10. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

I still have most of the kits i built over the years. Most of the unbuilt have been sold off in big lots to pay for stuff on the real 1:1 scale toys. The 500+ kits, 500+ vintage hotwheels and 100 or so 50's Tonka trucks have bought a lot of stuff for the real cars. I still have about 50 old unbuilt kits that were "special" that I kept. I still will buy old unbuilt kits when I find them cheap at swap meets. Once you have "testors" in your veins, it's hard to get it out....

11. Daddyfink

Daddyfink

I only have a few of my childhood models but I have been trying to replace them and I think I might have overdone it!

[​IMG]

This is only a fraction of what I have now and I am still buying them!! HELP!!

12. I like cars that RRRRRUN- Here's mine- Mikey Serious Cox junkie-

Attached Files:

13. dadseh

dadseh

Very nostalgic post happenin here I must say.
    It got me thinking... where did they all go ??

The time line says I built all my models from the late 50's with a mate..we were mad about models right up until I got one that had a key in it .. hehehe.
    It was my first car , ex Police 292 interceptor 56 Ford Tudor post ...the models got left behind after that .

But what happened to the hundreds I built??.
    I reckon I kept customising them after they was built. Customs became street drag cars, which became Gassers and the stock 60s cars became altered wheel base , etc. I reckon I rebuilt a hunnert of them together with my friend. we swapped parts as you would today. I got real creative and did altered wheel base, chop tops , etc.. My plastic welding has held me in good stead.
    I visited my Mom (84) last year in Canada and she still has in here China cabinet one of the first I every built..Stock model 'T' with custom paint. I studied it for a while and it brought back memories.

Dont ever throw away memories, they cost nothing but are priceless.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  14. HotRod33

HotRod33

I built a few as a kid but sadly they didn't get saved... I have one unbuilt kit that that my dad had it is by Paul Lindberg...he had a line of models called the lindberg line manufactured in Skokie Illinos and this kit is called "Bobtail T'' and it is based on a 1914 model T...The scale says it is 1 1/2 inch = 1 foot. It says it is a 1914 T bucket body, stock top simulated two tone naugahyde upholstory seats, ford 292 block, 6 stromberg 97 carbs, bonnett type air cleaners, finned aluminum valve covers, dual point distributor with spark plug wires, custom firewall with fuel block and clear fuel lines modified 1914 T radiator, custom dash, 1948 ford 15" rear wheels with reversed Buick rims, 1936 lasalle trasmission with adapter plate, 1932 ford shocks, Model a frame and back spring mount....it has a battery powered electric motor in it and it has an operating clutch , operating steering, and rubber slicks......it appears to be a very cool old kit....does anyone know anything about these type models and when they where made..????

15. I blew up most of mine with firecrackers, started collecting again once I was well past that phase, I've got about 50 - 1/24-1/25's in the garage, I've built 4 or 5... I can't justify building a model car when the big one isn't finished yet. Got a couple larger scale too, I was buying large parts "junkyards" off ebay when I first found it, so I have a bunch of crap.

Still looking for a few 70's MPC kits... 72 or 3 Grand Prix (molded in brown), 72 Chevy Impala, '73 & '74 Caprice, 74 Camaro... Prices are insane now.

16. [​IMG]

... and to think I used to consider you my friend! :D

I stumbled upon this thread this morning ... and before I came across 49ratfink's post, I was gonna post:

I can't remember what I did with all the old models that I had built as a child (ages 7-14) ... but here's a couple snapshots of some of them (circa early 1970's):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... kinda wish I still had those four Lil' John models :(

I'd say 49ratfink owes me a beer (or six) ... but I'd be happier if he'd just get his 1:1 scale '49 Chevy back on the road again!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
  17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You should still be able to get all but the miniature 34 from the 'Lill John' models, the T was re-released not too long ago.
    As for the rest of them, $150 some of those built ups are desirable models and today could individually approach that sale price. Not many but some!
    But I bet you didnt want to know that huh?

PS, check out the Sunday Models thread.

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

Someone call for Froggy?

[​IMG]

19. Hugh's_Hornet

Hugh's_Hornet

I've still got a few of mine stored in a box in the attic at my late mom's house.

Remember when a Revell or AMT 1/24 kit was $2? AND it included extra parts to build the car as stock, modified, or custom? IIRC I got 50 cents/week allowance, so I could get one every couple of months (had to save some change for glue and paint). I also had quite a few airplanes, ships, and even some motorcycles, but cars were the most fun.

I tried to get my son interested in building models when he was about 10, but it just didn't "take". Hmm, I'll bet that partially completed Viper is still in his closet somewhere...

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes they did mate, that Bantam Fuel Coupe was the inspiration for what Im building on the Sunday Models thread!
    That and the Long John are probably my favorite two models of all time. Mate, you are a legend for having sent them!
    Doc.

21. -DMC-

-DMC-
    from Ohio

Anyone have pics of the 2 big trikes from the 70`s? One was a dragon and the other a reaper...Also any pics of all the Zingers?

I snagged a few old dragsters over the summer at flea market. The Trantula rail, T Bucket rail, and the Graffitti rail, Blue max funny car, and few other funnies. Theyre already assemebled, but cool and decent shape...

22. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You found the AG rail?? Oh man that is one of my all time wants too!! You guys are lucky over there, this stuff is like hens teeth here to find!
    DMC, your one lucky fella!
    The AG rail is the 'Ramchargers' rail kit with a different body and decals, even that is hard to find these days.
    Doc.

23. wvenfield

wvenfield

I have these:

[​IMG]

24. mikes51

mikes51

Wow, that headhunter has some cool seats! I lost track of my rodding roots when I joined the corporate rat race in the 70's. Looks like I missed out on some cool stuff.

My '70's (I think) bike model that I am rebuilding with some geometry mods.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. Mine disappeared while I was in college, along with my baseball card collection (with Ty Cobb, Stan Musial and Micky Mantle's rookie cards and more). I still have a 66 Goat in my closet, since I have a 66 Goat I've been meaning to put it together.

26. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Reading this thread provoked an interesting thought. Imagine us all sitting around a big table in the middle of a large room at the nursing home. All us old hot rodders sitting there building models for "therapy", wouldn't that be great? If our memories hold out that long, maybe it won't be too bad huh? Maybe the docs can prescribe a "special" glue for us to use on the models that will provoke visions, concepts, and other stuff induced by glue. (ramble, ramble) And, how about some "special" paint too?:rolleyes:

I love the old models and if any of you guys want to part with your "extras" please PM me. Thanks, Aman.

27. nitram22

nitram22
    from California

28. ^^^^^^^^
    I built the BEER WAGON ... and that Gene Snow F/C ... great memories ... thanks for posting!

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

here's some kits that I was watching on ebay. sounds like the seller was the original builder. I don't collect, but like to look!!

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I bought the LA Street Chopper (pictured above) when it came out new in the 70's (?), and raked it out and panted it metalflake blue. I bought another one with the shrink wrap still on it several years ago at a swap meet.. when I opened it there were 2 chrome trees and it was missing one of the red trees so I never built it.:(