Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Too quick on the trigger.
    The photos I just posted were taken by me today, 1-8-09. I was kinda confused on the 2008 pics myself. These were after we got things set today. I have a LOT more but don't want to get out of the thread subject.
    HG

2. Ebert

Ebert

Gotcha...I finally figured that out after I saw that you said...1-8-09. WOW. What a cool bunch of cars...great job to Josh and the other Cincy kats with the cool stuff!!!!

Looking forward to seeing more!!!

Thanks, Gene!

3. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I remember some great side by side racing at Selinsgrove between a hippy looking Jan Operman and a clean cut looking Kenny Weld. Beased on their looks who would have thought Kenny would be the one drawn down by drugs.:confused:

4. PK

PK
    from Ohio

Great shot of Gordon Woolley at the old Tampa fairgrounds track taken during the IMCA Winternationals. I believe Honore re-configured the Black Deuce from an Offy to a Chevy for the '64 season. Is this a '65 publicity pic? Anybody know?
    PK

5. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

racer5c
    Roy-
    This thread is getting better all the time! I do love Sprint Cars back in the day, but theres one thing i like better; the Dirt Champ Cars! Do you have any pics of yourself in Champ Cars? Sure would love to see them. Did Danny ever run the Big Cars?
    I just happened to remember a night back then; not sure of the year tho.
    The USAC midgets ran a big race on the 1 1/8 mile dirt at Nazareth, PA. What a great show! That track was something else; dogleg just past the front stands, and a VERY long backstretch!
    Ill never forget watching Danny before the Main; mounting four tires while Jimmy

6. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

racer5c
    Roy-
    This thread is getting better all the time! I do love Sprint Cars back in the day, but theres one thing i like better; the Dirt Champ Cars! Do you have any pics of yourself in Champ Cars? Sure would love to see them. Did Danny ever run the Big Cars?
    I just happened to remember a night back then; not sure of the year tho.
    The USAC midgets ran a big race on the 1 1/8 mile dirt at Nazareth, PA. What a great show! That track was something else; dogleg just past the front stands, and a VERY long backstretch!
    Ill never forget watching Danny before the Main; mounting four tires while Jimmy took a nap on the trailer fender!
    Then Danny went out and dominated the race!! I think it was a 100 miler, or 89 laps on that size track.
    That young man seemed to have energy to burn!!

7. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Sorry for the mistake; comes with age i guess.

8. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'Spike, 'Again, thanks for bringing up Danny & Jimmy Caruthers. No one has ever made a bigger splash on the national scene than Danny Caruthers did in 1971. He started that year by breaking Jimmy Davies almost 10-year old one lap track record at Ascot Park out in California and like you mentioned wowed everyone at Nazareth that day. Before I double check, I know they ran twin 45's that day. Danny was equally impressive at famous Terre Haute and Williams Grove that year, too.

9. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Gene, thanks for the photos. Makes up some for the fact that I can't travel.

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Midgeteers!

Attached Files:

• m1.jpg
      m1.jpg
      File size:
      92.2 KB
      Views:
    • m3.jpg
      m3.jpg
      File size:
      75 KB
      Views:
    • m4.jpg
      m4.jpg
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
    • m5.jpg
      m5.jpg
      File size:
      57.9 KB
      Views:
    • m9.jpg
      m9.jpg
      File size:
      56.8 KB
      Views:
    • m8.jpg
      m8.jpg
      File size:
      90.8 KB
      Views:
    • m2.jpg
      m2.jpg
      File size:
      112.6 KB
      Views:
  11. racer5c

racer5c

I have a couple pictures of Danny in a sprint car, I think he only ran one sprint car race before he was killed, and I think it was in Wally Meskowski's car, he was dating Wally's daughter Joy when he died. He never ran a Champ Car, I have some pics of me in Champ Cars but they are to new for the post I can e mail em to you if you want. If you have seen the book Dirt Road to a Silver Crown I am on the cover of that in A.J. Watsons car.

12. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

.........'Roy! You're another guy that owes us a book! I have the Silver Crown book and DIDN'T know that was you on the cover. Please don't be so humble that you won't mention some of your accomplishments. Just like macmiller, anytime you wanna chime in with any tid-bits......feel free! Naturally, I have "Summer of Triumph" and didn't know that about Joy Meskowski. But the book told us about Suzie Grim! --------------- 'And Rootie, 'along with the four-cam Ford, another one of my favorites are 60's midgets......especially when some of them are from the Houston Astrodome!........note: 'Can't tell if Parnelli's in the Nowicki Offy or one of Howard Linne's???

13. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

14. Racer12

Racer12

Hey Roy,

You wouldn't happen to have any idea where this car might be? If I am correct didn't Danny Williams Sr. sell that car to you? I could be wrong. But Danny expressed some interest in getting that car back. After Derrek took a wild ride at gas City this year I think they might be done racin'. There is a link to a pic of the crash below. But I know my uncle still wants to be involved, I think with a vintage car would be a good way to do it.

Thanks,

Bob Shutt

http://www.fscpictorial.com/g/f051/f051-10.html

15. racer5c

racer5c

Bob, I sold it to Danny, if I knew where it was I WOULD BUY IT BACK!!!!!

16. racer5c

racer5c

Gary Bettenhausen and my dad

Attached Files:

17. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

[​IMG]

Maurice Viette with Bobby Albert high and Jerry Wall looking low.

Thats is Parnelli in Linne's car in 1963 when USAC ran the four races in ARDC territory, Islip, Old Bridge, Wall Stadium, there was one more I can't recall.

I really enjoy the thread.
    thx all

18. racer5c

racer5c

Little Fauss these pics ore for you

Attached Files:

19. racer5c

racer5c

In honor of Josh's car show this weekend, wish I knew where this car was, this picture doesn't do the gold leaf numbers justice

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  20. racer5c

racer5c

A couple of my dads cars, Bill Vukovich in the #2 car not sure who is in the #10

Attached Files:

21. racer5c

racer5c

Don Horvath Vallejo CA. the only person to be killed driving one of my dads cars, he was qualifying and someone opened the gate to enter and exit the track he hit it seconds after this picture was taken

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  22. racer5c

racer5c

not sure who is in the 5 car in this picture

Attached Files:

23. racer5c

racer5c

left to right Danny Caruthers, Doug Caruthers, Duane Carter, Johnnie Parsons Johnny Parsons and Pancho Carter in the car

Attached Files:

24. racer5c

racer5c

Jimmy Caruthers, Bill Cosby, Danny Caruthers

Attached Files:

25. racer5c

racer5c

Sorry for the poor quality of this, but I couldn't get the pictures out of my album without damaging them Springfield Illinois Mile 1971 USAC ran Midgets, Sprint Cars, Stock Cars and Championship Dirt Cars, Danny Caruthers Midget Qualifying lap was the fastes of the weekend not just for the Midgets but the fastest time for all 4 divisions, he never lifted qualifying. I was able to do that at Springfield in my midget in practice when the track was heavy but never in qualifying

Attached Files:

26. racer5c

racer5c

My dad hot lapping his sprint car, I have this face mask hanging here in my den. Sorry if I posted to much today don't mean to hijack the thread

Attached Files:

27. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

Roy, those pictures are awsome. Thanks for posting!

28. spinzzy

spinzzy
    from indy

Roy everytime I look at this ticket stub from 1948 and old model I think Roy would think this is cool. I thought the car and the ticket went with the pic. you posted

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      121.8 KB
      Views:
  29. racinfool

racinfool
    from Indy

Roy , Thanks for sharing those family photos. I only seen Jimmy race a couple time but he was no doubt one of the greats. Jimmys book was very inspirational also. -Tom Bliss