Register now to get rid of these ads!

Floor pans replacement pics or threads?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Psychoholic, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Psychoholic

Psychoholic

I'm embarking on my first set of pan replacements - and I need any knowledge I can get on the subject - if anybody has some pics of them replacing the pans in their car or truck I'd love to see them!

There are pics in my profile (and another thread) on the current floorpan situation - and I've got the new pans from http://c2cfabrication.com/ (front and rear, and inner/outer rockers).

Thanks!

Chris

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

My buddy Jeremy did the floors in this '53 Ford.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Psychoholic

Psychoholic

I guess being floor pans you can lap weld instead of having to butt weld them?

4. ems customer service

ems customer service

dont forget to seal all the seams from the bottom otherwise dirt & water get in the seams and the rust process will start again and real fast. probally should weld the seams from the underside to eliminate pockets for water and dirt just fyi

5. Heres some on my 56 ford wagon

Attached Files:

6. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

So long as you have a kit that fits reasonably well, and you make sure your doors and other parts line up right, it is not a difficult or really involved process.

We installed a floor anf firewall in my 39 while ignoring the conventional wisdom of "bracing everything up" without much trouble.. I started bracing, but got tired of that shit real quick. The first time the bracing got in my way I started thinking that the doors didn't line up worth a damn to start with..... they fit pretty good now... :)

In any case there are a few pictures of our process in my photobucket link below. I don't pretend to have obtained "professioal results", I am an amerture and I know it, but I think it came out pretty good for an amerture effort!

7. good call on the bracing, when we cut the tunnel out the wagn, the rear floor dropped about 2 inches, used a jack to raise it back into place, the tacking was the easy part, finishing the weld seemed to take forever.

Brad

8. striper

striper

I put a floor in my 28 a few months back.

[​IMG]

I made accurate patterns and had the pieces made.

Then I drilled and plug welded them to my tube floor frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I etch primed the whole thing inside and out and went crazy with the seam sealer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pete

9. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

Damnit! Seee the problem with these forums? Whenever I think I am doing ok with my project I see something like what Striper has done and my stuff suddenly looks like shit!! :)

Now I have to start over.... :eek:

Damn Forums.... :)

10. striper

striper

I didn't make the floor sections. I just made very accurate templates from core flute board (which the panel guy really loved) and installed them. All the kudos goes to Brian the panel fabricator.

But thanks anyway :eek:

Pete

11. striper

striper

Core flute is very easy to cut and draw lines on BTW

12. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

:) I guess I should have just said nice job... It looks really killer. As do the rest of the cars in the thread!

Very nice..

13. skidsteer

skidsteer

Hot Rod magazine sent me an outstanding DVD on this subject, about a year ago,free of charge, to get me to subscribe. I forwarded it to another Hamber, and no longer have it, but if you can find a copy, it is very detailed, and an excellent source of info.

14. Common problem with older cars,,,here are a few shots of my repairs on the 54 Ranch Wagon,,

I always sandblast the area and cut out all the rust,,I overlap some seams and butt weild some ,,what ever it takes.

This is just a sample of whatwas done to the wagon,,,there are a bunch more photos on my fotki site listred below,,HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I won't try and post anymore photos but after all the patch panels were installed I sandblasted the floor and brushed on a coat of red oxide oil base primer.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  15. Psychoholic

Psychoholic

When you guys refer to bracing on the inside to keep the doors lined up - the car is staying on the frame when I do the pans, would that make a huge difference if it is a non-load bearing piece that is getting cut out?

Thanks for all the input (feel free to keep it coming!) - the pics tell a huge story of how it is done and answers alot of questions.

I'll try and hunt down that Hot Rod dvd, maybe if I can find it I can post it up somewhere.

16. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

Also make sure to mark all of you underbracing. It sucks to cut through it. A spot weld cutter will come in handy too.

17. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

always get those A & B posts straight

some of Jim's work on a 47 Caddy ragtop all hand made panels

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. I have a few on my photobucket page. But most of the other ones already posted put mine to shame. Todd

19. Glen

Glen

my amateur attempt

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  20. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

IMO having the doors available to QUICKLY install from time to time in the process is invaluable.

By installing the doors and checking fit and function when things are just tacked up can save you lots of time and trouble. IMO this is MORE important than bracing....

If everything fits then everything is cool.... if things don't fit then life can suck.... especially after several hours of fitting and finish welding in some new floors....

Don't forget about the tops of the doors, they have to fit also...

"If the doors fit, it is the shit!"