Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats your cup size?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirt, Jan 1, 2009.

1. dirt

dirt

i am using a 39 front end and i am not splitting the wishbone. i have seen the radius ball cup kits for 28-31 ford but i cant find anything for 39. are they the same size or do i need to hunt down used 39 cups and ball?

2. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I have a 37 cup that I am not using. I am probably not using the bones either. I can measure the ball size and let you know later this afternoon.
    Pete

3. dirt

dirt

thanks for the reply but i already have the 39 ball on my wishbone i just need to know if the 28-31 ball is the same size. the kits ive seen dont have the dimensions.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Ball size is same '32-40, pretty sure A is smaller, '41 up bigger.
    Cup is part of crossmember, a stamped depression. Cup cover is available in repro from Tardell, at least, rubber cover that goes on ball is available from every early Ford parts place on the planet. Model A was metal-to-metal, hence kits to replace worn out cup and adjust for worn ball. V-8's usually just need new rubber.
    If using '39 frame, all you need is rubber and if missing, the cover. If you are scratch building, 2 covers=one complete cup, and you can temporarily bolt it in place, welding the half that goes on frame when you adjust caster at full car weight.

5. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

Man, this is so not what I was expecting when I opened this post!

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Well, a couple of the rubber covers will be good safety items...

7. dirt

dirt

thanks again bruce. that was my plan. i just wanted to make sure i got the right cup size.

8. dirt

dirt

just so everyone knows vern tardell does not repo or sell the cups anymore. i did manage to get two from him. one of the guys who works there, rolo, found 2 laying around.