Register now to get rid of these ads!

FED chassis tech(school me)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iagsxr, Dec 30, 2008.

1. iagsxr

iagsxr

Looking through the FED threads on here I've got some questions hope someone can answer for me.

Engine location in relationship to wheelbase. I have a theory of how I'd determine proper engine location mathematically with the car on scales. Wonder how the real builders do it.

Engine height from the ground.

Explain "dump". Know what it refers to, not sure I understand the effect on chassis.

Chassis rigidity. Looks like the old cars(Dragmasters,etc) were hella rigid. Is proper flex in the chassis a trial and error thing or what?

Wheelbase in general. Looks to me like tire technology has made shorter cars more stable than they were back in the day.

Or point me to anyplace this information exists... thanks

2. rooman

rooman

Most of the parameters of a front motor chassis are dependent on how much motor the car has. It is a very complex issue but I will try to put some basics down and post sometime over the next few days.

Roo

3. Where to put the engine. Ahead of your feet. It is just that simple. If using a stock length trans then in most cases you will have more than enough room.
    I cant speak for othes but my FEd is very rigid. The long cars use chasssis flex as a spring. If the car is short enough the chassis reaction can plant the tires. (A look at the video from the link on my website will show the instant squat and reaction the chasis gives. I always felt after about 110 say this effect is not there so an extra long flexible chassis becomes necesary. That is just an opinion I have deveoped from watching and helping on cars over the years. I wouldnt want to have to defend it but it is my currrent thinking. Tires are a big inmprovement for sure but a much better understanding of steering and such I think contributes greatly to a cars handling.
    MY lastcar which i still have is 96 inch wheelbase . I am building an altered rght now with 100 inch. Mostly because of the slightly different seating position in an altered vrs a rail (Above the diff as opposed to behind it) Probaly the best cars for fun and safety are in the 120 to 150 inch range. The have the right look , are small enough to transport easily and long enough to keep one out of trouble. It depnds what you are building a gas dragster for fun or a fuel dragster for winning. Obviously the new long cars even the FEds were dveloped for a reason. One should not dismiss the reasons out f hand and buck the trend because they obviuosly work but if one wants to have some fun and stay safe (very big on my list of important things) a revist to the shorter cars with a eye on improvments would not be wasted. I personally love my little ride. Whenever I walk by it it brings a smile. Maybe that is the bottom line. That is my 2 sents anyway
    Don