Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ancient East Coast Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by 00 MACK, Apr 26, 2008.

1. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Hey Anthony! I just called Art Riporti and have to go down to his place this week for a roof, Ill ask if he has any old pics around and tell him that the '57 Ford of his surfaced overseas on here a few months back.

2. On my"Tailfins and Drive Ins" video there is part about "Adventure" they talk to Steve and Marian Kamins who met there (she was a car hop).They may have photos.Anyone know them?On the video they show thier 49 Merc with dual square headlights.

3. The last time I saw Steve(I believe his last name is spelled Kamens) he was the East Coast(or New England)director of Customs.He used to run a hobby shop in Lynn(on Lynnfield Street if I recall correctly)back in the 70's complete with slot car track.I have one of his cards around somewhere;I'll see if I can dig it out and if the number is valid.I believe he is a member of the North Shore Old Car Club as well.

4. anton

anton

some more pictures

Attached Files:

5. jerseymike

jerseymike

does ray soff belong to the hamb or does anyone have pictures of his connecticut yankee? i met ray about 25 years ago when i was a teenager (i'm sure he wouldn't remember me) but i've never forgotten that car, i think it is the perfect shoebox. now all these years later i'm building a 50 i just chopped (not a convertible) and started grafting on 54 packard taillights like his. would love to see pictures again.

6. thesupersized

thesupersized

no, he is not on the hamb, he does not have a computer...ill look for more pictures of his car, i believe i have at least one magezine with his car in it...

7. twochops

twochops

Here's a couple photos that I took of Ray's Ford at an old Lead
    east.---------------TwoChops

Attached Files:

8. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

[​IMG]

its too bad he doesnt have a computer and scanner. hes got loads of pictures of custom cars from the 50s

9. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

I believe he contributes to Kustoms Illustrated

10. jerseymike

jerseymike

thanks for the pictures, i still think that car is perfect! i hope to get to lead east next year to see it again. thanks, mike

11. jerseymike

jerseymike

i just went on kustoms illustrated's website and found a feature of ray's car with some great pictures. thanks for the info. mike

12. llegere66

llegere66

Hi im len legere and i figured i post pictures of my cars

Attached Files:

2many projects likes this.
  13. RodP

RodP

Welcome Len
    It's good to see you on here. That is a very impressive first post.
    RodP

14. Welcome.Tell us and show us more!

15. hi len did you have a javilen show car

16. Guitar Guy

Guitar Guy

is that a 56 bel air in the very first picture??? or is it a 57, i though 57 had more chrome. does anyone know what year that is

17. thesupersized

thesupersized

awesome! best thread on the hamb...

18. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Its a 57.I believe the owner was Ed Hynchinski

19. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Been drooling over that lower right pic for a long time, Welcome and thanks for joining the HAMB

20. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

Ok here ya go.... This is for the OLD KUSTOM GUYS....

Here is a bit of history......
    The following photos were time approx 1957 to 1960
    The Car was built and owned by Richard Korkes "Korky's Kustoms" various locations Whippany, Parsippany, Wayne New Jersey..... Korky was a pretty well know Kustom Kar builder back in those days in this area..... As a kid I use to ride my bicycle to his shop in Parsippany just to look at some of the great Kustoms that the shop was turning out at that time.... In 1963 Korky move the shop to Wayne Nj where he employeed me to do light body work and help to launch his trademark interior door handles (Soon to be copied by Cal Custom)..... In 1964 Korky was befrended by George Barris and time approx Sept 1964 Korky packed it in and headed to california and worked for Barris until he opened his own shop Korky's Kustom Studios..... During Richards time with Barris went into the ORIGINAL Batmobile, The Bat Cycle, and various other celib cars.... He also did a lot of work for the film industry building the cars that were used in film car collisions.... Once Korky opened his own shop in Calif the probably best know car was the Corvette Used in "Corvette Summer"..... Korky also desigened and developed products for his Retail Company "Sundowner Louver" Yes! the louvers that were so popular that went on the back windows of many of the late 70' into the early 80's. Sundowner was aquired by Interpart ? Louver company. Korky over the years worked in many shops including Gene Winfield,

Korky was probably best know for his 1954 ford "The Parisienne"

Recently a Clone of the Parisienne was built by a local shop "Joe Sulpy" of Roxbury NJ. Joes car has very similar styling but was base on a Chrysler Doner...

Hope you all injoy the Good Old Stuff....

Rich
    Boonton, NJ

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please dont be confused by the dates on the photo..... These are photo of the ORIGINAL Photos hence the date taken........

Now lets take this string one step forward or backward as it may be.... Who has some old car show photos... Come on I know all you Cool Old guys got a shoe box full of old photo that your going to take to the grave.... Get them out and scan them or shoot digitals of those old photos from the North East area... NJ was a Kustom Area... Conn gave us a lot of HOT RODS.... There was a lot of cars coming out of Maryland..... Dig deep guys.... Look in the bottom of that sock drawer.. You got them now go find those old photos.........

PS..... By the way.... The car is still intact... I recently spoke with Gale Black and he now owns Korky's Parisienne........ I do have pictures of the car in its current condition.... See my next post

21. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

As Promosed here are some recent photos of the Parisienne... I sure wish this Car could make it back to North Jersey

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope all enjoys a real piece of North Jersey History

Rich King

22. VanHorton

VanHorton

haha gotta love new jersey.. that 54 is WILD :eek:

23. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Speakin of Corky,Id like to see some pics of Billy Smiths 50 Merc convert or Giblocks 53 Merc.Ahh what the hell,all of his cars for that matter!

24. Rags To Richs

Rags To Richs

Sorry Anthony... My scanner is broke and most of the pictures that I had from that time frame were Les Dunhams Cars..... My time working for Korky was short ..... He bailed out of NJ in 64 when he went to work for Barris.... We at that time had the shop in Wayne... Across 23 from the "3 Vets" Bar...........

Rich......

PS.... KORKY.... Not Corky

25. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Thanks for the spellin correction.I always get Korkys spellin confused with that famous T.V. celeb .

26. Awesome thread!!

I'd really like to see more (never seen) pics of the Blue Bird.
    The color pic's are GREAT!!!!

Welcome Len!!! Big fan of your cars!!

I'm working on this coupe, has a lot of east coast influence.
    [thread=220601]Click Here to read more about it[/thread]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
  27. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

fucken awesome! i was looking for a pic of the victoria with that color scheme! i only saw it once on a dvd i belive it was purple and silver right? also i think there was a short scene of the 49 ford racing. i wish i can have that dvd i think it broke :( also i think there was a pic of the 49 smashed

28. merc-o-madness

merc-o-madness

Last edited: Dec 15, 2008
  29. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Funny Len I was in Wayne Woods garage about a month ago lookin at pics of alot of your ol cars.

30. I know that car!
    I recognized the tail lights.....and what looks like the Bayside Expo Center.