Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chicagoland drivehsaft shops, WTF!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PeteMattersen, Dec 10, 2008.

1. I'm not one too bitch and moan too much, but after about 8 visits and 3 shops later i have a shaft being made. I went to Midwest driveshaft in Aurora and the guy was a total jackass and did not return my phone calls for a month.
    I aborted that mission and headed to Rockford driveshaft a week after talking to them about what measurements they wanted. I showed up there this morning with my measurements and the man working there wanted nothing to do with building me a driveshaft. He told me that my measurements were incorrect and i didn't have a clue. He backed up his knowledge by telling me "I build fuckin' monster truck shafts man!" Needless to say i didn't give a bleedin' foook about that. I just wanted a shaft made. So after two shops and gettin jerked around for a month i finally went to suburban driveline in Villa park. The owner was nothing but nice, and genuinely was interested in helping me out. To top off the whole deal it was the cheapest estimate i've got so far. This was a simple shaft for my shoebox, 700r4 trans to stock shoebox rear. I have heard good things about everyone of these shops, but im hear to say if your in chicagoland and need a driveshaft made head to Suburban driveline in Villa park!

2. fleetside66

fleetside66

Geez, I went to a place about 15 minutes from my house (recommended by another Hamber) & they built the damn thing the same day! No lie..I got there about 10:30 in the morning, gave them my length measurement (per some Hamb threads on how to measure). I got home, ate lunch, & the phone rings. The guy who was actually building it told me he needed some particular measurements on the rear yoke because there are different yokes for 9" Ford rears. He patiently guided me through the measuring process (I'm a mechanical numbskull) & the conversation ended. I get a phone call at 4:00 telling me the driveshaft is done. And it fit! I was very impressed because things usually don't go like this for me (so I feel your pain with your fiasco).

3. About every person i talked to wanted a different measurement. I am more than aware on all of my measurements and dimensions. It seemed like no one wanted to take my money. Im ready to open a driveshaft shop, i could capitalize.

4. Saw your post and was going to suggest Suburban Drive Shaft. Great people and they've always done a good job for me.

In addition to shortening a couple dirve shafts for me, they did a complete rebuild on my 8" when one of the carrier bearings was getting noisy. That rear was never as quiet as it is now.

5. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

Haven't used them yet but was recommended to use Bott's Welding in Woodstock, IL right by the fairgrounds 815-338-0594. The guy that recommended them hadn't had one done in a while but always took in a mock-up he made from a junkyard or existing shaft (though he said probably not at all necessary, they would make him an all new driveshaft for $85. This was what I was told.

6. I just had a driveshaft shortened and balenced by a shop in lyons and am vary pleased. I dropped it off in the morning and had it back in the afternoon. I'll dig up the address and shop name if any one is interested.

7. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Midwest Driveline in Alsip, 115th and Central is great. Done our race car and numerous hot rod jobs for me. Great people,they use the good Dana u- joints.

8. I've indirectly used Suburban a few times, no problems there.

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

Surge Clutch & Driveline have been in business since the early 50s and they do great work fast. They modified my 59's and 65's shafts and resurfaced my wife's 51's flywheel. They're nice, and usually have an old car sitting in back... and they're next door to a vintage, untouched 50s motel, the Starlight

Surge Clutch & Driveline Co
    16145 Thornton-Blue Island Rd
    South Holland, IL 60473

(708) 331-1352

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Suburban does all of our driveshafts at the shop. I've got one of theirs in my Chevelle too.

11. 57 shaker

57 shaker
    from phx.az

Man what jerks,we have a couple driveline shops in phx.and you tell them your measurements and all and bam! it's done with no B.S. well atleast now you know where to go for tour driveshaft needs;)

12. Well i picked it up from suburban to get home and discover that they made it to fit at ride height and not at aired out height like i requested.............soooooo i will be taking it Back and having them shorten it to the measurement i gave them. Fuckin air suspension.

13. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

Pete, how much $ was it?

14. bluestang67

bluestang67

Hellfish glad you remembered them been around since i can remember . Great place they did business with a few companys i worked for .

15. It was $175, i talked to them and they told me to just bring it in and he'd shorten it down to what it needs to be. No biggy, but i am damn tired of battling this damn driveshaft.