Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects =Rebuilding the Plymouth Flathead=

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by =StreamlineDeco=, Dec 8, 2008.

1. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

What color did you select for the block? I am not sure from the photos - did you select a silver, and then clear coating over that? You are correct that spraying clear mellows the color quite a bit, especially over silver. Did that to the timing cover on a side oiler many moon ago

2. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

I've seen that motor! Say, is it coated with a paint called 'Hammerite'?? Very decent work!

3. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

The color on this is grey Hammer finish, yes? One of the nicest color selections I have seen for these motors. Keeps the mechanical look very nicely.

4. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Primered the cylinder head. Wouldya look at that..

February 16th, 1955 at 6 o'clock in the afternoon! To the teeth!

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  5. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Here's a more accurate hue of the color. A very subtle tan. I like!

[​IMG]

6. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

That is nice - will look good with black accessories.

This picture is before the clear coat, yes?

7. PatrickG

PatrickG

gotta love those flatties :D

[​IMG]

6inarow likes this.
  8. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Yes, that's before clear. And, yes, I was going to do silver but I like black accessories better :)

9. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

I saved your picture a long time ago. That's a swell looking flatty! Are the fenton's coated or painted?

10. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

First, I had thought about going with a tan/silver combo for color. But, for some reason I felt that it seemed to 'fresh'...too modern. I opted for a tan/black color combo and figured I'd have enough shiny accessories with the headers, valve covers and intake.

Here was the way the oil filter initially came out..
    [​IMG]

Better shot and tapping threads...
    [​IMG]

Now Black, before clear
    [​IMG]

11. great thread...your car looks damn good with the skirts too

12. PatrickG

PatrickG

the headers are ceramic coated, although they're not legit fentons :rolleyes: but a set of Tom Langdon's of stovebolt engine co. im happy with em though for sure.

13. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Thanks, oddrodgarage. I should atleast paint them to match the car :p

14. All good things in time...gettin' that flathead warmed over is a nice priority

15. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

I see. They look great! I think that's what I'll do and get the Langdon's headers, as well.

16. realgonekatt

realgonekatt

Where did ya score those skirts? Cats pajamas for sure....We have a very similar project goin....

17. PatrickG

PatrickG

yeah tom's a cool guy, knows his stuff, and always willing to help out with trouble shooting. only problem with the headers is the forward header exit is right next to the fuel pump, i had clearance issues, when it all ends up in the car i might have vapor lock problems, so I could go end up going electric.

but I bought the headers a long time ago and let him know the problems i had, so the design may have changed since then...

18. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

I had a the opportunity to get some work done on the side at my buddy's shop. He works for a British performance shop in Riverside, CA. APT Performance. They mostly specialize in MG's and sprite motors. Nice people and a nice shop! Not a big fan of the cars but I learned about the European motors a bit and some ideas on how they build power in such small engines.

Took the block over and we replaced the guides. Note: If you plan on replacing these guides. The Intake and Exhaust guides are the same-Yet, go in the opposite (i.e. Taper side up and taper side down).
    Once we knocked out the old guides, we had to figure out how to install the new ones. I didn't want to bang them in and risk damaging the block or the guides themselves so we made a mini jack on a lathe, with a bolt that went straight through from top to bottom, and jacked the guide up by just torque-ing the bolt.

Guides were pretty worn.
    [​IMG]

Jack made out of aluminum stock with hole drilled on top and another plate in the bottom, threaded to pull-up on guide
    [​IMG]

New guides installed
    [​IMG]

19. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Did you have a heat shield plate by your pump?

20. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Once the guides were installed, they had to be honed with this miniature hone..
    [​IMG]

Heres a little video :)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/94mrm-DTXTw&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/94mrm-DTXTw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

21. What a great looking car! You should bring it up to my place to check out :) Hope things are well!

Who's doing the engine work?

22. PatrickG

PatrickG

i have the original heat shield but it doesnt look like it will fit. will most likely try header wrap or the like on the actual tube, and hopefully the coating on the header will insulate enough. if not, electric fuel pumps are pretty cheap, and maybe even a step up in reliability,

23. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Next, I single handedly threw the block on a SERDI to cut the old seats. For those that don't know what a SERDI is, it's a super expensive toy that does all the hard work for you ;). In this case, it centers itself to a block on the seats. Using the proper cutters it cuts the old valve seats and gets them within specs to install new seats. All of that means a job done faster than older manual presses!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Thanks! I've been doing the rebuilding on my engine :)

25. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Hmmm..I would imagine the ceramic would work. maybe these mopar guys that've had that issue could enlighten us on that. I would see if you could modify the cover to fit and keep the original type pump. Atleast I would.

26. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

That's all for tonight folks! Tune in tomorrow when I encounter some minor mishaps-ahem, with seats..and some more lathe work! So long!

=Adrian=

27. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Wow really looking sharp man.Love the way you are putting it together!!
    Are all those machines that you are using yours?

28. Do you work at an engine shop?

29. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

I think he mentioned that he is doing this at a school.

I like this post, nice work so far!

30. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I noticed the new block you're using has a P26-******** VIN number. That would be mid-50s, I guess.
    P15 is the 46-48 Plymouths.