Register now to get rid of these ads!

Panel Truck guys! I need your help!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodRick49, Dec 2, 2008.

1. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

Hey guys,

Pop and I are looking to change the rear out of the '51 One-ton we have, and hes a complete stocker.

Any idea what type of rear end on that? I've searched for a day or so and I've come up dry. I can't get to the actual number on it because it's away for the winter time.

Any one know? It's a 1951 Chevy One Ton Panel Truck with a 216. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

2. I have a early ford 9inch in my 48 1/2 ton panel, and I have also put a 76 Trans Am 10 bolt in a 46 Chevy Panel...R&Bs used to make a spring lowering kit also but they are out of business now. I use gm 3/4 ton springs and made pearches. I took out the big heavy leaf. It rides a little stiff but I haul with it from time to time.....Hope this helps.

3. I've got a 55 chevy passenger car rear end in my 48 1/2 ton
    [​IMG]

4. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

Damn, I wasn't clear enough.

What is the stock rear in these trucks? Sorry guys, but this will all be good to know anyways. Thanks.

5. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

3/4- and 1-ton Chevy and GMC trucks from sometime in the 40's and up into the 70's usually have an Eaton rear axle. Sometime in the late 60's or early 70's some of them came with a Dana instead of the Eaton.

Your '51 1-ton would have 5.14 gears and huck brakes instead of Bendix.

So your next question is probably what other gears are available for this rear. The 3/4-ton of the same era came standard with 4.57 gears, though the 5.14 gears were an option. In the later years a 4.11 gear set was also available though they are not easy to find.

One place to find info on these things is the forum at www.Stovebolt.com. But there isn't really a whole lot more to know...

Oh, and I have three of them, one of which is sitting in front of my shop available if anyone needs one. 5.14 gears and all!

Attached Files:

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

You can always do what I did! :D

Attached Files:

7. Sellers Equipped

Sellers Equipped
    BANNED
    from San Jose

If its a 6 lug rear end, mid 80's Jeep Grand Cherokee, then you do not have to swap out the rims. ~S

8. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

All 3/4- and 1-ton '47 to '54 Chevys and GMCs are 8-lug.

Some earlier and some later (80's-90's) 3/4-ton have 6-lug rears.

These Eaton rears are one of the reasons you do not see many of these trucks bigger than 1/2-ton on the road. They are hard to update and most guys find them easier to replace.

Actually the one I pictured up above came out of my '55 1st GMC 1-ton because I replaced it with a GM 14-bolt with 3.42 gears and modern brakes. I'm hoping to find a rock-crawler guy who needs those gears.

9. Is it an 8-lug rear? Most of the 1-ton panels I had came with them, ultra heavy duty often with mountain goat gears like a 5.14 or 5.38.

I did one years ago, swapped in a newer (1978 or so) rear into a 1965 Chevy, which might be the way to go for you.

Bob