Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help me C-4 to strait six I need advise

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by No_Respect, Dec 1, 2008.

1. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

I have recently purchased a C-4 for my Comet when i was installing the trans I ran into a big snag! I placed the torq converter in and turned it till it fell into its groves kept spinning with pressure being applied to see if it would go back furter but it did not. I procceeded to place in the car got it all bollted and when i was tightening it up the bell housing cracked! (i since replaced with another i had) i had to pull it back out and called a friend he said the torq converter was not all the way! Could this be the case?? He said that the torq converter should be able to slide forward and back?? mine does not. I measured the the torq converter and it sits 7/8 of an inch to the edge of the bell housing is that not in all the way?? This is the torq converter that came in the trans. Please Help me out!!!!

2. Cshabang

Cshabang

that should be enough I believe (the 7/8), but I haven't pulled a C4 in a few years now. Did you happen to check the snout on the converter to make sure it was the proper diameter, When i install a tranny, I always leave the nuts off the converter bolts until I have the bell and the crossmember in place. This way I can make sure its free while installing and when with everything tight...It should have 3 clicks when you install it as well. Do you have an old converter to match it up with, is the flex plate the stock one...The more I write, the more that pops into my head when I swapped my 65 c4 to a 70's c4...its all very aggravating. Keep us posted on your finding.. the more info you can get, the more I may be able to find out...

3. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Cshbang The trans and torqconverter bell housing and flex plate all came off a totaled 65 mustang with a 200 six in it all the parts are stock. my car was three on the tree so I have no original parts.

4. Cshabang

Cshabang

it should all go together then,unless I'm missing something. I assume you're running a 170 in your car, or did that swap at some point? Make sure the hole in the end of the crank is large enough maybe?...When I talk to my ol man, I'lls ee if he remembers anything on those other than to swap it out for a small block..haha They're killer little engines those 170s and 200s.

5. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

ya its stayin an inliner I think I just over torqed it but i still had a small hairline gap between the engine and the Bell

6. Cshabang

Cshabang

then you were binding...maybe you weren't straight on with the motor, be sure the dowels and the mating holes are clean...

7. Bull

Bull

I had the same problem with my converter in my c4 not seating all the way. The fix was to remove the transmission shaft that slides into the converter. The shaft was slightly crooked and not seated properly which then wouldn't allow the converter to seat all the way. You should be able to grab ahold of the shaft with a large channel locks and give it a tug. Then try re-seating it. Worth a shot.

8. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

that could be the case I did not have the crosmember on!?!

9. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Bull I do have big hammers!:D

10. another word of advice if the converter has been in and out of the trans replace the from pump seal or your going to be pulling it back out. it will leak like a boat with a hole in it! i always replace them or they leak!

11. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

Did you remove the pilot bearing from back of crank? Has to come out or "Crack"

12. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

thanks for the advise shouldnt cost much to replace a seal.:)

13. Bull

Bull

Forgot about that too. They're a BITCH to get out too! Or at least the one on my 5.0 was.

14. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Sometimes you can damage the trans pump when you put all of that in a bind and cracked the bell housing .So is it will not go into gear check that .My 2 cents