Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. oops, the car Walt Brown drive that day.

2. racer5c

racer5c

Did that Hilligas display get moved from the Eastern Museum of Motor Racing at Latimore Valley?

3. RSCA HISTORY

RSCA HISTORY

Yes, Also there is the Hinnershitz car. All Displays are on Loan till April

4. RSCA HISTORY

RSCA HISTORY

Kenny Weld's last sprint Car

[​IMG]

5. racer5c

racer5c

Damn the headers are on backwards

6. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Yes Jim, but, I still do race sprints when a ride is offered. Too expensive to field my own car without sponsor help. So now I play wuth muscle cars and rods. When I fire one up on the weekend, I don't eggspect to bring it home in a box!
    Thanks for the post on those pics, I was too young to know who they all are, a second uncle of mine took these pics.

7. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'Roy, 'Thanks to RSCA HISTORY for the pic of Kenny Weld's last sprint car. But, a lot of us are never going to forget Kenny in the Weikert's Livestock #29, when he and Jan in Bogar's #99 revolutionized sprint car racing back in the early 70's with their front, side and top wings; their humper (drag) tires and the space frame design with the deep frame rails with the ultra long torsion arms. 'Totally obseleting all other designs in their day. Kenny was a real 'thinker.' Even today, the Weld-Tech heads that he originally conceived while in prison are still state-of-the-art.

8. racer5c

racer5c

I have a copy of the blue prints from THE modified he ran at Syracuse, he was definatley a genius. It's a shame that his life ended up the way it did.

9. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Actually, a whole lot of people think they destroyed sprint car racing with their front, side and top wings.............

10. RSCA HISTORY

RSCA HISTORY

Actually then a whole lot of people should blame the promoters who established the rules which allowed those cars to run. Not the inovators. Perfect example is the Batmobile Kenny made for syracuse, all within the rules of Dirt, but not in the eyes of most fans

11. Even though I ran one on my sprinter briefly, I never could accept wings on any kind of race car. :(

12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Me too - 'cept maybe (O/T) Top Fuelers.
    And don't even get me started on Funny Car wings.

13. Amen, Mac! I'll go to a CRA show anytime, but wouldn't accept a free ticket to an outlaw show. I know they are safer for the drivers, but to an old schooler, they just don't look right.

14. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

I ran a wing one time and won with it but that was it I never would again, they was as ugly as a well I don't know it just wasn't the same, it was like a bunch of Monkey's were steering, it just took the driver out of it. I know I'am going to catch hell for this but that's the way I feel

"Doc" Parsons

15. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

shit this is kinda like a glass vs steel deal now :).... I just happen to like em both but i was really caught off guard last may at the terra haute race .. Id never seen a non winged car go that fast... kinda made me like em a bunch (Scared the hell outta me too) :).... Everyone has a preference and thats why we have all the divisons we have.. I cant take nascrap anymore and i really believe they screwed them selves this time but we shall see. its a France family cult.... I love the winged sprints on pavement but id drive right by a WoO show if the supers were running 2 hours farther down the road... Back to topic ... really its all good............
    Dave

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I have less a problem with the wings than with all this stupid ass "body work" that has become popular. I mean, why not just put a ducktail coupe body on, and call it good!

Attached Files:

• sc.jpg
      sc.jpg
      File size:
      98.3 KB
      Views:
  17. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Stevies car is ugly and has been for quite some time but with the proper paint its just another winged sprint car and in my opinion not a bad looking piece... I watched those guys almost back over tony stewarts denali at eldora one night .. Funny shit . That and the drunk guy yelling TONY TONY TONY ha ha free entertainment ! He walked by me and i just said hey Tony and he said hey back... pretty easy ... :)
    Dave

18. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ya know this could get way outta hand and i dont want to fuck up Josh's thread but look at the supers.. one has regular headers and the next one has em dumping at the front of the car ???? Im not stupid .. I like the look but it does nothing to enhance performance.. But you have to like the supers and the look or looks ! They are selling races on the competition and thats way good and the cars.. The do have the look and they are very pretty.. I likes em..
    Dave

19. jmcintosh

jmcintosh

Amen brother they just look like modifieds with all that crap on.

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

What ever I think won't change anything, so I'll make this my last "comment" on the subject...........

Attached Files:

21. racer5c

racer5c

Brian 26 do you happen to know Richard Powell? has I think 1973 USAC midget rookie of the year, he was from Oklahoma

22. No, I don't know much about him. But i'm sure someone I know has. I have heard that name before, but I'm not sure what town he came through. OkC or Tulsa I think. In '73 this part of the world was still hoping Howerton would get a ride at the Speedway. In '74 we thought it was only a matter of time.

23. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I couldn't agree more.

24. AugieAscot

AugieAscot

Hello all, I've been lurking for awhile. Lots of talent, experience and great stories here. I drove down the road to Willow Springs this past Sunday. Here's a couple of pictures I took.
    The first one is Gene Winfield standing next to Walt James' sprint car. Gene painted the car (but he didn't do the numbers).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looking south at turn 1.
    [​IMG]
    Walt James

25. Offy

Offy

I have three letters for roadsters.... FTF; and three letters for sprint cars...FTW. Nuff said.

26. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

:)..... Great pics again guys.... Anyone gonna be at toledo the 20th for the indoor midget races? I will be there. Looks like im not gonna make ft wayne this year though :(.
    Dave

27. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

28. RSCA HISTORY

RSCA HISTORY

[​IMG]