Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the hot rod world in Australia like?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26trackt, Nov 5, 2008.

1. GlenC

GlenC

I can't see a problem with using a Holden V8 in a hotrod. They're a 'classic' cast iron, pushrod style OHV engine, plenty of go fast goodies, have been built to run on unleaded since 1988, and have a whole range of 4-5 speed manuals and 3-4 speed autos to put behind them. back it up with a commodore diff, LSD, discs etc in a whole raft of ratios and you have all the 'basics' for a reliable, affordable drivetrain.

Yes there's SBC's around, but most of them have been imported from the USA after being pulled out of scrapyards, and will need a rebuild to make them useable. Add the problem of finding the right gearbox to go behind them and you've got more trouble than it's worth as far as I'm concerned.

If you're building an Australian rod, what's wrong with an Australian motor?

Cheers, Glen.

2. Nothing wrong with it but it ain't traditional, all depends on your budget and personal preferance.

3. ybu22z

ybu22z

In Australia.. you can find yourself in the 'house of many doors' or plain ventilated.
    http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=661027
    Note... I don't believe that is the original news item, I recall the original made mention of the film-makers not having a 'permit' to do a film... :confused: then was changed to reference some office you need to notify.

4. I have read this whole thing and the most important question hasn't been asked. "Where is the closest Walmart" or "Is there a Walmart" .. Reading the originators post (and by the way Y'all is fine in print) I don't think you really want to do this. I went through this back in the '70's. I was so fed up with they way things were goin' here I couldn't stand it. But I got over it and am glad I didn't, besides I couldn't have afforded it anyway. But I was having the same thoughts as you are. It seems to me that you have a good job and for the most part things are fine. It seems to me that you are a proud Texan (I had an uncle that was one) and if you wound up down there you'd be sort of like the people that come to Florida from NY. We get so tired of hearing them complain about how this and that isn't here like it is in NY. (Well, get your ass back to NY if things are so good there). I think you should take several vacations there and find out if it's what you'd really want to do before you check into all of this immigration stuff. You are about the same age as my son and if he were telling me all of this stuff I'd tell him he's lost his mind .. What ever you decide .. Good Luck ..

5. 567trishop

567trishop
    from Australia

6. Your joking........right?

7. GlenC

GlenC

No, not joking. I can pick up a complete running but smashed VN-VP Commodore with 308, overdrive auto, LSD diff with disc brakes, all the electricals and everything else I meed for well under $1000. The engine runs on ULP without mods, passes all the emission tests, and gives me V8 power. If I run a full bonnet who'll know the difference anyway?

Maybe I just don't have a case of 'Aussie Cringe' either.

Cheers, Glen.

8. 'Aussie Cringe' Whats that?
    Why not just drive a commodore then?
    Dont get me wrong, I am not bashing you, I just feel the point of 'traditional' is missed by using commodore stuff and putting a body over it.

9. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Dunnydore motor? Thats the whole reason Im getting so turned off the Australian Hot Rod scene. Even know the traditional scene is growing its still small. That whole concept just does not fit on this forum. Hey, lets use a Prius motor too.......

PS: 100 Mph = 160.9 Kmh
    100 Kmh = 62.14 Mph

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  10. GlenC

GlenC

Yeah Doc, you're right, and it's probably about time we got this topic back on track. But the question was asked about available motors, and the simple fact is, if you walk into any wrecking yard in Australia and ask to look at V8 engines, 75% of what you're going to see will be Holdens, followed by about 20% 302-351 Ford, and the odd small block Chrysler to round out the batch. There simply won't be a hemi, nailhead, Buck or any other oddball brand engine available to you unless you import it yourself.

Actually, it would be fair to say it could cost you quite a lot of money to look 'low buck traditional' in Australia. :)

Cheers, Glen.

11. Choppa

Choppa

Hey Doc
    As you know, the scene is pretty big enough in Melbourne:), there's heaps of traditional cars here. Why don'tcha move on down and no... the weather argument doesn't cut it;), we have to suffer for our hobby:D!
    Chopper

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was born and bread in Melb, Joined the Army saw the world, got out settled in Melb (Scoresby) but didnt have the $$ to finish the A model I had. Sold it and moved here. Thinking Canberra is the next move. I enjoyed living there and its not to far from Melb that you couldnt just pop down on a weekend.

13. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That or sell up everything and move to the US.

14. I don't agree, you have 2 choices. You can hang out and scan the classifieds and be patient(amazing what comes to those who wait, for the right price) or you can sell out and buy some piece of shit holden for a doner car and compromise what you really want. that is if you want to build a traditional hot rod!

By all means if you want to build a low buck street rod go ahead but it is not nor will ever be traditional, just like using an independent holden front end under a fenderless car is not traditional. Horses for courses man,But this is a forum for traditional vehicles.

15. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Using a Holden front end under anything is NOT traditional. Same as an L300, forget it. Holden wasnt around early enough with the right stuff to consider for a trad ride.

16. I agree Doc, but if you cant see it is it really that offensive? Also it is not as if independent front suspension didn't exist, but, i imagine it was few and far between and out of reach to most guys back in the day.Plus it rarely looks any good!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2008
  17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Even if its out of sight its still not traditional. Maybe I just like old cars too much but I wouldn't bother looking at a car that looks trad with new running gear, its kinda like fake Hemi heads and Injectors on a SBC. Not what it really is.
    But, lets get back to the reason for this thread.
    What dose Australia have to offer......
    (A lot of Kiwi's!!)

Doc.

18. rustydeuce

rustydeuce

Jeez Doc, you talk (or type as the case is here) some shit at the best of times.

Australia unfortunately offers idiots like you too cobber!

And while we're at, could you please change your tasteless signature to at least show the correct spelling of the city you're demeaning.

19. The more Hot Rod immigrants the better - It's hard work to get out here - but well worth it.

The more the merrier. As for Docs signature - he's done his time and paid his dues - it's a free country - Let him write what the fuck he likes.

Last time I went to the Maritime Museum specifically to see the "Krait" to pay my respect & be humbled by it (if you don't know what it is - Google it) there were some Japanese Navy Officers there talking about the American War of Aggression (Second World War) my blood boiled to say the least.

Learn from History, don't ignore it - it happened - fact

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Krait, Z Force. All hero's and Im embarrassed to think there are Australians that would need to look that up! At least they knew there was a WWII, talk to any young Jap and they don't know what the hell your talking about.
    Damn, I see this has gone off track again!
    Doc.

21. GlenC

GlenC

Wandering even further O/T, my wife and I and our friends used to take the Krait out for weekend jaunts on the Hawksbury River before some goose decided to mothball her. At 130 ft long and 11 ft wide, she was one mean bitch of a boat in a cross swell let me tell you!

Interesting bit of trivia. On her initial trip into Asian waters, she was fitted with a diesel engine. The old propshaft failed partway up the Qld coast. She was 'temporarily' repaired by US army engineers and she went on her way. That 'temporary' repair was still holding out just fine in 1980.

For the US readers, the Krait was an old Indonesian fishing boat commandeered by Aussie special forces in WW2 and used to sneak commandos into enemy harbours where they sank Japanese freighters with limpet mines. She made 2 trips, the first one successful, the second one the Aussies were captured and beheaded by the Japs.

Cheers, Glen.

22. EHBoy

EHBoy

Human Fly
    Just remember, if you go to Qld, you have to talk in half speed, they are tired from bending banana's :)

hahaha i'm a melbourne boy but i'm living in brisbane at the moment due to work they realy are a different bread they have stupid words for things and do somethings way different to 'normal'.
    the weather up here is nice but i cant wait to go home to melbourne.

23. fat141

fat141

And while we're at, could you please change your tasteless signature to at least show the correct spelling of the city you're demeaning.[/QUOTE]

Best idea yet.Get rid of it .Bet our HAMBers in Japan love to read that. I know that you have fought many battles all over the world and you are very brave, but for Christ sake, get over it:rolleyes:

24. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

25. Maybe this might help with your decision.

You don't get sunsets like this on the east coast. :)

(Excuse the dust on my camera sensor)
    [​IMG]

26. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Being in the Army, I've served along side many Aussies. All that I met were extremely professional and dedicated. Would take/follow them into combat anyday.

I like the Wiggles too :)

27. fat141

fat141

Doc, I didn't mean my comment to be as harsh as it reads

28. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Let's see some "down under Lady's or not" ...........................

29. ehdubya

ehdubya

Lady's what? You don't want to hear them, they sound like cockatoos.

30. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I have an African Gray it couldn't be any worse!