Register now to get rid of these ads!

seat belts in your hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J Man, Nov 11, 2008.

?

Do you have seat belts in your old car?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2009.
  1. Yes

230 vote(s)
    65.2%
  2. No

40 vote(s)
    11.3%
  3. Some of them

23 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. I will but have not yet

55 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. They were there when I bought the car

5 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

OK, I have never done a poll before so hopefully I will set it up right. Basically what I want to know is, do you have seat belts in your old car? Also please do not turn this into a safety rant on why to have seat belts. Thanks

2. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

3. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

4. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

None in the Willys pickup.
    None in the '58 Studey Commander H/T.

I don't plan on adding any to those vehicles. If I ever build a gasser shoebox, i'm going with an aviation style seat belt (ala J-3 Cub) with leather and a nice quick release.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Didnt need 'em stock, dont need 'em now,

Besides, extra weight, it'd slow me down!

6. Bull

Bull

Absolutely, yes! I firmly believe they saved my life, though only lap belts. When I rebuild the car (or buy/build another) it will get 3-point belts.
    [​IMG]

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Of course.
    I'm actually on my second set in 88,000 miles. The sun rots material and I felt they needed to be replaced not only cuz new ones would look nicer but because I thought after so many sun miles they should be replaced for safety sake.

8. LongT

LongT

Yes, I have and use lap belts in my T bucket. Even if they don't help in a crash they help to keep me behind the wheel.

Bill

9. yeah why not...ya dont always gotta use them....I never did in my tall t something about all the wood and not steel around me......then again why make the EMTs search for your body?

10. I do not have seatbelts in my '55 chevy except for my grandson in the back. It is however, a serious consideration.
    I plan on putting them in my '28 coupe as well.

Last month, I noticed a senior as myself buckling up in his '27 roadster with no roll bar, and remember thinking if I flipped it, I would rather take my chances on being thrown clear than strapped to that little seat belt.

All in all....seat belts DO save lives...

11. Tumbler

Tumbler
    from Tucson, AZ

Yeah, when I build one it will have seat belts. I haven't had any more than lap belts in my muscle cars before. I had plans to put shoulder belts in them but never had them long enough to put them in. I don't want to be eating steering wheel if I get in a minor fender bender.

12. Weasel

Weasel

Yep absolutely, and as Bill Cosby said, Ambulance men love 'em - they're too lazy to go look for the bodies.:D

13. I have 3" simpson lap belts in my '29 roadster. I THINK in Texas, seat belts are mandetory in all street legal cars.

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

seatbelts: good.

flying through the windshield: bad

15. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

my chevy has no belts, butwith thegearing it has it'll only go about 50. and i usually go slower than that. when i build a hotrod i'll definately put belts in

16. halfcockedcustoms

halfcockedcustoms

I don't even have motor in my car yet,,,but already got seatbelts,,,cheap investment in my book,,,

17. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

AMEN to that situation. I used to have a really nicely built '71 Triumph TR6. I'd just jump in it and go while my passenger fidgited with the seatbelt. When they asked why I never buckled up in that car, i'd reach up, grab the windshield frame, and wiggle it back and forth about a half inch. They'd promptly unbuckle their seat belt.

If that car ever turned over while buckled in, it would look like we were ran through a sausage grinder.

18. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Not sure if it's a Texas thing or a county thing, but in Williamson county, they don't require them if the vehicle never came with them.

19. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

They didn't come in my car but I want to add some so that when my some gets the car they will all ready be in there.

20. I can't move untill I put my seat belt on.................................I get a baaaaaaad feeling without it.

21. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

I put the Juliano's 3 point belts for bench seats in my '65 chevy c10 truck.

-W

22. Bull said it best! We would have lost a great young Hamber if he hadn't had them. So if you don't think you'll be missed, skip the belts. I delayed my first trip in my Deuce pickup to get my seat/shoulder belts installed. It wasn't easy but I wouldn't get in a car without them.

23. thats a federal thing....cant make things required that were not avaible when the car was made......went thru a case in oregon over this many years ago

24. Lstude

Lstude

Yes, I have seat belts.

[​IMG]

25. MCDANIEL1234

MCDANIEL1234

yes, my son is more important and would not want to lose him over the price of belts

26. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Good point Meatball. I guess if they forced model A's to have seat belts... they'd force them to put in airbags, and whatever other new technology that comes out.

27. chris55

chris55

yes in the 47 and t-bird, not yet in the 55 (but it stiil doesn't move, so I'm in no real danger...hahaha)

28. turdmagnet

turdmagnet

Positively yes - first thing I purchased and installed - no brainer there. Had a friend of the family go thru the windshield of a tow truck with no belts back in the 70's, worn them ever since - law or no law.

29. gkgeiger

gkgeiger

I'll be putting 3 point retractables in my 36.

30. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Yes..5 point 3" Simpsons in the HellRaiser, Lap belts in the Olds, and stock over the shoulder lap types in the other daily drivers.

HellRaiser