Register now to get rid of these ads!

Competition Coupes post some pics please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 61cad, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Just finished dowloading pictures from Jalopyrama. The Competition Coupe has everything I could want in a car. Vintage body, bad ass mill, and everything else is dragster.

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and mrtc4w like this.
  2. the lump originally in 61 at indy....
    [​IMG]

lothiandon1940, mrtc4w and AHotRod like this.
  3. What publication is that from? I know a guy who won his class at the Indy Nationals in 61 and was wondering if he was mentioned.

4. its fall possibly winter of 61 issue of Hot Rod..gimme the name and i can find the original issue and look maybe??

5. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

Cool ride Hiton!

6. I've been wild about comp coupes and the occasional sedan since 1961. Here's a few from my photo collection.

Attached Files:

WDobos and mrtc4w like this.
  7. More...sorry for the occasional duplicate.

First shot is the original Flamin Frank Taco Toaster. He actually built 3 different Fiats. 2 were red and one silver.

Note the rear of the full bodied #703. This body is the second series "C" design produced from '49 to '55.

Top right photo is Eddie Potter's Sudden Death AA/C. I'm told he also built the body on Pete Millar's car.

#69 is the twin Hemi car built by noted supercharger guru Don Hampton.

The 2 black & whites are of the same Fiat owned by John Watson and driven by Don Roberts. They were taken at Connecticut Dragway. In the first photo they are running the 1320 Engineering Special driven by Marty Schwartz. In the photo on the right they were paired with the Bernier & Bacon fueler driven by Roger Bacon.

Eddie Potter's SUDDEN DEATH just about says it all!!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2009
  8. The fiberglass coupe body we built at Rod 'n Race for the Flamin' Frank tribute car built by the late master, Pat Foster, for the Pedregon Brothers.

Tony getting last minute instructions from Pat at Indy in 2007.

The Pete Millar Drag CarToons car from the 70's and this project moved me to build my own Fiat comp coupe named Pinocchio.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  9. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Here is my all time favorite. The picture was taken at the 50th Portland Roadster Show. The car is "2 Flat Coupe" and I was told for sale last year for $40k.

Attached Files:

10. Rusty Junk Ranch

Rusty Junk Ranch

Here's one I have waiting in the wings!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. That Hollis Bros Sedan is the SHIT!!!!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. Anyone else?

13. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

WDobos likes this.
  14. VA HAMB

VA HAMB

[​IMG]
    Here is Dick Swecker's from Staunton , VA He won at Indy in '60. This is where this photo was taken.

WDobos and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Roothawg

Roothawg

Wouldn't that have been considered an altered? Comp Coupe had extended front ends like what Rich has posted. Correct me if I am off here....

16. If you're referring to the Crosley, YES. With the engine/driver setup as shown, it would have been an altered.
    Altered class rules called for 25% maximum engine set back and driver in front of the rear end.
    Comp Coupe and Modified Roadster class could have the engine anywhere and the driver on or behind the rear.

17. Found a couple more...and more is better. These were at the York US 30 Reunion this year.

18. Now for the photos....damn puter
    I included a typical Modified Roadster which would have had the same chassis rules just rhe roadster body. NHRA combined the two classes in the mid 60's.

19. "the lump" and our other fiat bodied digger "the drifter" formally the rattler....pairing off this summer....
    [​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. the car originally when slim carter built and owned it....1965 issue of HOT ROD...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
    wicked willys and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. edgewater raceway park...cincinnati....
    [​IMG]

22. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

a couple more

Attached Files:

23. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

That one is being re-created (slowly) with the complete original engine and hardware as shown in that photo.

CC

24. bossmanshags

bossmanshags

This is the Loukas & Preising fuel coupe. These shots are from the 2008 Gopher State Timing Association Show in Saint Paul, MN. They fired it up too! It's a beautiful car, and I'm glad they had it at the show!

Attached Files:

• cc1.jpg
      cc1.jpg
      File size:
      76.5 KB
      Views:
    • cc2.jpg
      cc2.jpg
      File size:
      67.4 KB
      Views:
  25. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Al Bergler..

cc

Attached Files:

26. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

..couple more.

cc

Attached Files:

27. cool thread..Always like the "Rattler"..didn't realize the 'drifter" was the same car...

1939fiat

28. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

Here's one Rich, the Competition Coupes/Sedans and Modified Roadsters were combined in 1963 (Winternationals)

cc

Attached Files:

• A MR.jpg
      A MR.jpg
      File size:
      50.4 KB
      Views:
  29. One more time. We think we have the problem fixed...time will tell.
    These were taken at the 2008 York US30 show,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  30. These are contemporary comp cars from west coast nostalgia events from '03 to '08. I believe the Strange Brew might be one of Guffey's ultra narrow fiberglass Fiat's. The Batto sedan may actually be an Altered, but it's so cool I had to include it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
    WDobos likes this.