Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods October Banger Meet on the Model T Centennial!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodfil, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

The S-10 4x4 is the best trans for the stock A chasis swap with the Torque tube addapter. The S-10 gearing is fine. 1st might be a little low, but with a full syncroed trans you don't realy mind. Starting in second is almost like the stock A 1st. Steve Serr told me last week that it should be soon (he is having the casting paterns made) Once I get some casting, it won't take long to put some kits together. He told me that he would like to have a couple of kits to take with him to the next Turlock swap.

2. In volume 6 #4 of the S O S S magazine there is a sketch on page 34 of a method of pressurizing the center main drawn by a fellow named Larson. He makes, or made, full oil filter kits for "A"'s.

3. Michael_e

Michael_e

More speedster parts. Previous total 297.68. I met a Shawn via Craigs list who was giving away some early 50's ford pickup rear fenders and a hood. The price was definitely right for my budget. He lives in Loveland and i'm in Parker, Co. So it was a 85 mile drive, cost for gas, call it $30. Shawn's a cool guy, has a really neat early 50's ford truck and does some nice pinstripping. See pics... I think the rear fenders have a nice speedster type of nose in them and the hood will end up as rear body work after some slicing/pie cutting and re welding. Going to try and cut out the hood side louvers, turn them around and put them back in place. The remaining pieces of the rear fenders might end up as lower rear body work. Will post more pics after cutting is done. Also, 10 more cutting disks at $32.11 brings up a new total of $359.79.

Attached Files:

4. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Michael e, check out these rear ends.:D The 32 speedster's rear looks like what you'd get with your fenders. Maybe?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. VanHorton

VanHorton

cool michael, you definatly have to keep us posted on that! im anxious to see what your are gonna do and how its gonna turn out..

6. fordsteel

fordsteel
    from Elkland PA

Got my banger mocked up with some speed goodies wile i search for a counterbalanced crank well I see someone has the market cornered.

[​IMG]

7. Nice speedster tail ideas! I'm thinking about using a '47-'52 Chevy pickup hood cut in half-

This one looks like a Hudson hood:
    [​IMG]

8. Michael_e

Michael_e

Hey guys, thanks for the pics and ideas. Spent the rest of the afternoon wacking those fenders and hood apart. front part of the fenders became a speedster nose. It needs to go on a serious diet, just too fat. The rest of the fenders became lower rear body work. The hood got shortened, 2 pie cuts and the louvers removed. They will be reversed and put back in later. Each time i look at the rear of the car, i like it a little more. I need to make some sort of fill piece between the doors and the rear bodywork. I want to make the hood (now rear/trunk cover) hinged and locate the gas tank & tool box there. Let me know what ya think.

Attached Files:

9. easyrider47

easyrider47

I'm sure some of you have taken leaves out of your front spring to drop it a little. I have a 29 roadster, pretty light. And for now, it's fenderless too. I reversed the eyes on the main leaf and I want to try taking a couple of leaves out too. I was thinking of the second longest leaf, and which other should I pull to get best results? The reason I chose the second leaf was after I had reversed the eyes, it either has to be shortened or left out anyway. What do you do with two missing, just put spacers at the bottom of the spring pack to take up the space? Maybe a couple short pieces of an old leaf? I want to drop it later with a dropped axle, but for now, I want to get it together and put my new motor in it...time for droppping it right next winter after I get the fenders done and back on.

10. ebtm3

ebtm3

My experience with removing leaves from springs is that you can take one,two, or three short ones from the top to improve the ride with a light car, but if you take any long ones from the bottom, the spring becomes too soft, and the car will bottom.

Herb Kephart

11. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I've always been told that when you remove the long ones it softens the ride and removing the short ones changes the ride height.

12. Michael_e

Michael_e

Here's a couple more pics of the speedster project. First one shows how i used the rear half of each of the pickup fenders i got for free. I layed them on their sides with the flange side up. I've still got a bunch of trimming to do. The bottom of the pickup hood and the fender flanges line up reasonably close. Have to go up a few posts to the hood.
    The other two pics are of the front portions of those same rear fenders> today i trimmed out about 3 inches of each piect and then tacked them back together. Looks better, but still needs more work. There is a small molding line along the side which provides a little relief to the sides. I'm going to try and keep that in place, but more metal needs to come off.

Attached Files:

13. T__N__A

T__N__A

Hi, I just noticed the cowl you have and though you might like to check out my speedster project. Its a 31-31 chassis, B motor, chevy cowl, and a fordson gas tank, V8 steering box. It's a blast to drive!! I have about $2000 in the car and built it in a weekend.

Since the pic was taken I have added an Al windfield manifold and a Holley 94, the head was mill approx. .125" and built a custom header for it. trimmed the seat back and threw a blanket over them, there pretty ugly but comfy as hell!! oh yeah and it got a rattle can black paint job.

14. T__N__A

T__N__A

opps heres the pic.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      32.6 KB
      Views:
  15. Michael_e

Michael_e

Hey T.N.A. - I recognize that cowl for sure. Couple of questions; fordson gas tank - you mean fordson as in the tractor?? and v8 steering - what year and model did you use? Do you have any other pics?? Thanks, Mike

16. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Is that the Fordson tractor tank that is divided for two different types of fuel?

17. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

[​IMG]

This is the one I speak of.

18. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

Regarding the Miller manifold from Monrovia from a few weeks ago, I spoke with Jim Miller (Eddies grandson) over the weekend. He said "Nope" to Monrovia. He offered up that Miller is a fairly common name. That's about the way I had it figured. Hope this helps. Wayno

19. Scott Miller

Scott Miller
    from Tampa, Fla

Thanks for the detective work Wayno. I'd bet he has some interesting stories about his grandpa!

20. T__N__A

T__N__A

Here is another pic from the back. Yeah, it’s a fordson tractor tank but is not the tank that is divided, it only has a single opening. I’m not sure of the exact year of the steering column and box, It out of a flathead v8 and has the locking column. Maybe a 37 or so?

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      34.5 KB
      Views:
  21. Did you use that tank?

22. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bill,
    No, that isn't my build. I saw it a while ago in another build thread and have kept it in mind to ask more about it if I ran across anyone that knew more about them.
    I thought it was neat. They were set up for gas and kerosene. The tractor had to be started on gas, then the operator would switch it over once it was warmed up and running. That is all I know. It would be handy to carry a little Av-gas or other fuel ;) in one tank and gas in the other.

23. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

here are a few pix of my motor .... steve

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

25. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

26. kevins29truck

kevins29truck
    from ohio

in response to the cooks machine cyclone posts, i see cooks machine is still in business, so are they still making A and B flatheads, or is that a thing of the past

27. Ice man

Ice man

My AMC 4 banger has a rubber inserted dampner from the factory, and of course it came apart shortly after installing it in my 29 PkUp. I got a new one and its fine again. Iceman