Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1931 plymouth coupe pictures

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldBlueOval, Oct 26, 2008.

1. OldBlueOval

OldBlueOval
    from Upstate NY

heres the pictures of my 1931 plymouth pa . I want too make a traditional style hot rod no fenders or hood not sure what to do with the suspension.What do you think, any ideas are appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

one thing I like to see on old mopars is to retain the parrallell leaf front suspension. same with Chevys of that era. too many people put ford suspension under them for my tastes.

3. i have owned a 36' plym. since 1976 and the parrallel leafs refered to as "rigid reverse elliot" is really some "pre fred flintstone shit!" maybe 30mph is fine but freeway speeds no fucking way is great. again i'm old!:D:D

4. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

kool coupe!!!!!!!!!!!

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Keep the Plymouth motor. They are cool and can be converted to overhead cheaply if you want to

Attached Files:

6. AA/Fuel34fordpu

AA/Fuel34fordpu

Nice very nice.........

7. I would leave the hood and fenders on if you keep the parrallel front springs.

8. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

It looks like a good start to a rod.

9. I have a Model "A" rumble seat coupe that I would trade you for. I've been holding out waiting to build it because I would rather have a Plymouth, Dodge or DeSoto.

That's a cool car. I would keep the flat-6 for sure. Run without fenders and hood sides. Keep the leaf springs. Lower it and drive it.

Keep us posted

BloodyKnuckles

BTW...I am serious!

10. edgeabilly

edgeabilly

Great car can't wait to see it finished!

11. Irish Dan

Irish Dan

GREAT find! Good Luck with whatever you decide to do! Oh yeah, and keep us posted on your progress!

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I would run the fenders lose the hood and sides. Cool project.

13. lstwsh

lstwsh
    from Dayton,Oh

I believe you have a 1930 Plymouth not a 1931 Plymouth PA.The main difference is the grill shell.I was looking for a 1931 PA coupe before i bought my 1934 PFXX coupe.I have pictures of one built in the very early seventies with a straight axle nose high with 327 and 4 speed.If i live long enough i want to duplicate that 31 PA i have pictures of.

14. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I think your right Reminds me of my early 30

15. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

How far upstate NY are you. Always looking for fellow early MOPAR folks here in Central NY (outside Syracuse)

16. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

Very nice car . good luck on your build . You have something there ! My son has a 40 dodge flathead /floor stick trans that runs and is going to be up for sale .

17. I love that back window...My 31 durant is a close cusin to your car and i ditched the Durant frame built my own and went with the posie 1/4 springs in the front...
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

18. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Flip the frame and build an underslung hot rod.... it deserves a Hemi.

19. It might be sort of an in between 30 Model U / 31 PA. The oval window looks like a PA, but the firewall and grill look like Model U.

Is there a little plaque on the firewall that says "Body by Briggs"?

20. valkokir

valkokir
    from DeKalb, IL

cool looking car, good to see pics of it finally! my opinion from before still stands on the suspension. Take the fenders off the right side of the car and put the left hood side back on and see which you like better. Before you make any decisions, put it up on stands, pull all four springs out and start lowering it down and see how it looks. That's what I would have liked to have done if I had started with a car that was together at least a little bit. If you leave the fenders on, 1" lower will look slick. Take off the fenders and you'll probably have to go 4" or more to get it looking right again. my 2cents.

21. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I'm one of those guys with a ford suspension on a mopar hot rod. If I had it to do over again, would spend a lot more time considering a torsion bar frontend with a beam axle. More like a sprint car than a 76 volare.

Cool car, lotta potential. Think I have a pair of those doors in my basement.

22. Mopar Mama

Mopar Mama
    from Boise, ID

Me, opposite. No fenders, yes hood and sides. Lower and go. Tri-power intake on stock flathead, get rid of the roof...I can't wait to finish my other two Mopars to get an older one like this. Very nice! It's nice to see something other than a Ford. :cool:

23. Leadfoot Apparel

Leadfoot Apparel

wow what a great project car! looks like it has real potential!

24. warn-out muscle

warn-out muscle
    from Illinois

looking for useable parts for 31 dodge cpe- fenders & brackets/ boards etc... need lots of parts

25. 0ldracer

0ldracer

Here's one......Gene Altizer's A/Gasser from 1961

Attached Files:

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

It's funny that I said that, because my '31 Chevy has no fenders and will be running full hood and sides. I just thought that it would be nice for him to not run the expected HOT ROD look and go for a late 50's look. Pretty much any way you go as long as the quality is there, it should come out awesome.

Although, I think that I hate the rear window but I can't be sure yet. It may be one of those things that you may have to 86 if you chopping it.

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

See how refreshing that look is, plus it covers the parallel leafs up front which to me can sometimes overbear the overall look of a car.....unless we are talking about 30's era Miller racing cars.

28. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

I would flip the frams so that it is already "z'd" and then set it up like a model a that way you get the reliability of transverse with the concept of the plymouth frame!

29. warn-out muscle

warn-out muscle
    from Illinois

Hope this works. Picked this up this spring. Has Body# and SN id tags still on it. Have title, and from what I find it is a 30-U Ply built 11/1930. Hope this is of some help. Yea I have a 31 Dodge DC8 also. My wife calls them parts- these are still "cars".

30. warn-out muscle

warn-out muscle
    from Illinois

will try this again- didn't look like pics posted- sorry new guy duh I hit close instead of uplaod. Need lots of parts for both of these yet-

Attached Files: