Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Dude.... why not be the first to make it i think everybody is willing to give you advise if your run in some trouble..

but first things first what is the wheelbase of your car?? :D

do you already have a S10?

2. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Because i building my S10 Frame swap and want to use the s10 gastank im thinking of this modification what this person has done people if you like it or maybe have a better idea please Reply...

benzinetank.jpg

gmc51-a.jpg

3. V8 Super Beetle

V8 Super Beetle
    BANNED

Here's my S-10 frame swap. I know this isn't a traditional hotrod in the eyes of some, if not many, but here it is.

73 VW super beetle body on top of a shortened 94 extended cab S10 chassis. This is my first project where I've done any fabrication, on a budget with limited tools so be easy on me. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. V8 Super Beetle

V8 Super Beetle
    BANNED

This is my V8 conversion.

5. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

tell me how does that drive???

if people have Comments toobad i think its creativ work...

and for any who does give comment please first look at wikipedia!!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotrod :D

6. V8 Super Beetle

V8 Super Beetle
    BANNED

I wish I knew! The last pic is the latest of my car. I'm just about to finish up body and frame work and get it ready for paint which I'm going to try and spray it myself. So there's a lot of firsts for me working on this project.

I'll be dropping in a 355 SBC w/ about 425 hp backed by a TH350. This has been an on going project for almost a year now and I hope to have it finished before the end of 09.

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

What does the manual box cost from Flaming river?

8. Abomination

Abomination

There's a newer thread about V-dubs as altereds. You should totally post there, too! :)

~Jason

9. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

if you read on the website from http://www.ad-engineering.com/

you can find out they think its better too use a early 60's Ford Mustang Radiator then you would have enough clearance... but what if you mount the radiator a little bit higher ..? The 47-54 chevy pickup firewall is about four inches further back than the S10 firewall so i think you can put the motor a little bit more back you would get enough space ...

10. thirty7slammed

thirty7slammed
    BANNED
    from earth

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

12. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Hello hot_rod_17,

did you already find a solution on your problem with the steering box ???

13. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

does anybody know a good and cheap adress where i can find new Body Cab Mount Chevy S10 i realy need new rubbers..

here is a example from what i'm searching.. Body-Mount-Bushings.jpg

i only need 4rubbers for my cab brackets...

14. Black Primer

Black Primer

This thread is rapidly deteriorating...since when is a 73 beetle a traditional hot rod. I guess if I put a Yugo on an s10 chassis it would be considered a hot rod too???

15. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Yeah i can understand your point but it would be funny to watch that... :D:D

16. Abomination

Abomination

Seemed right on-topic to me, since this thread is mostly about the use of the S-10 chassis for stuff other than the original intent (under an S-10). It's mostly about the chassis and how to mount things to it, as well as lengthening it and mounting different drivetrains to it.

The undercar work that had done to it is no less relevant than a guy with a '40 Ford - just because that particular post happened to have a V-dub, it's no reason to exclude him, or to consider the thread as "rapidly" deteriorating...

V-dubs have always been on the fringe of the HAMB. A Yugo will never be. And although the Yugo wouldn't be considered a hot rod, if there were any relevant tips and/or tricks about the chassis you could share that you picked up along the way, we'd love to see/hear them.

It is from sometimes the most unlikely places, from out-of-the-box thinkers, that serendipity and genius spring. Alienate folks like that, and make them feel their information has no worth, and the solutions to some problems may never come to light.

~Jason

17. I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet, but here's one trick I've learned about S-10's. It a quick, easy, and cheap wheelbase cheat.

When I was putting this little S-10 together(I'm sure I'll catch hell for putting a pic of an S-10 on the hamb), I wanted to use this little Luv stepside bed, but the S-10 wheelbase was 4" too long, so by sheer luck I found that old mopar C body leafsprings will bolt right in, and since mopar leaf springs are not symmetrical, they shortened the wheelbase exactly 4". Didn't even have to plug in the welder.

[​IMG]

18. Abomination

Abomination

Dude, THAT is the kind of kick-ass info we're after! Absolutely outstanding!!!!!!

Thank you very much for posting that!

~Jason

19. comp

comp
    from So. IN.

20. Abomination

Abomination

I posted HotRodHabit's post over here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300748

Here's an important quote of note from that thread:

21. Abomination

Abomination

More news from HotRodHabit, in the aforementioned thread:

~Jason

22. I am doing an S-10 swap I havn't read about in this thread yet, I'm about stick my chopped 1935 Ford 5 window coupe on an 02' S-10 Extreme chassis, 35 had a stock wheel base of 113" and the s10 is very close...
    and comes factory with dropped spindels, (optioned)two piston calipers up front, disc brake posi rear, dearched rear springs,big sway bars, quick steer box, and this will all be hiding under my fat fenders and running boards...I've been told by someone who has done it that the ford will sit on the chassis with very little modifaction except to the rear floor area of the 35 will have to have reliefs 3"x8" cuts for the s-10 frame rails to come inside...
    I'm not tryin to build a traditional hotrod this time, I am doin this to have a daily driver I can go everywhere in, cross country ect...I want it to ride nice, have power accossories and be able to get parts at any parts store anywhere...I have a "spirited" 383 sbc and an artt carr 700 r4 trans for a powerplant...It will be rolling on a set of 17 x 9.5 and 17 x 8 american racing torque thrust II's
    I am aquireing the chassis this week as the car awaits it donor chassis in my shop bay now.
    View attachment 513378

23. Here's the car...pix didn't load I guess?

blasting and stuff 005.jpg

blasting and stuff 006.jpg

24. Abomination

Abomination

Sounds like you got a good chassis! Hell yeah!

Thanks for keeping another one from rusting away in a field, man. They way I see it, the S-10 Chassis swap is about half a notch away from someone doing a Nova clip - not that big of a deal, and very much in the same vein. :D

~Jason

25. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

26. the one in the coupe I'm sittin on is a bench bottom split back ford probably falcon or ranchero,
    the buckets in front of the coupe are 67 Jaguar XKE roadster seats...they need a good home, you interested?

27. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Im currently doing this swap on my 46' Chevy P-up. Good brakes, good suspension, easy to find parts and tons of aftermarket componets! Seems like a no brainer over the stock chev frame. I have channeled the body 5in. (when I was planning on using the stock frame) so the mounts will have to be 8 in. off the s-dime frame. Talked of taking the channel out of the cab but realized I would have to tunnel the floor if I had done so, Im gonna keep a flat floor so it will work out fine. May have to go with a vega steering box, havent got to mock up the cab or fenders yet. I went with a standard cab short bed which is about 4 in. shorter wheelbase than stock, so Im gonna shorten up the bed and running boards to compensate. I beleive this will make the overall look of the truck more proportionate, and I wont have to get a driveshaft made, or shorten up brake lines! I have no pix yet but will try to keep everyone posted.:cool:

28. Abomination

Abomination

Hey, post 'em on up when you get 'em! We LOVE in-progress pics!

~Jason

29. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

hey jason before i forget i have contacted jim from s10v8 swap and he has send the mounting kit... now is my question do you think people are intrested in the mounting kit (2WD 4cyl to V8 Mount Kit) drawings..???

mountkit48.jpg

30. Abomination

Abomination

Dude, I KNOW they would be interested. :D

~Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.