Register now to get rid of these ads!

airspeed indicator anyone?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dsiddons, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Just saw a add in rod and custom from classic intruments for WWII style aircraft guages. How about a real airspeed indicator with a pitot tube? Anyone running one of these? Should be pretty easy to fab up. Think I will try it..

2. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

3. CheaterRome

CheaterRome
    from URANUS

Yeah Mike Lange from the Cheaters runs one. Tucked it under the framehorn on the front of his 32 ..Bitchin.

[​IMG]

Works well especially in the higher digits.

Jerome

4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

So, this has very little to do with how fast you are going relative to the ground. And not that everything on a hot rod has to be 100% useful, but I can't see any usefulness with the hassle of installing one outside of being able to point and say, "Check it out, bro... airplane gauge in my car."

5. True Kev but the number is neat!

6. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

If ya got a head wind or tailwind it would be pretty worthless. I was looking thru a old carcraft mag and saw a aircraft inspired saltflat coupe that had a pitot tube on the outside left and thought that was pretty cool. Noticed 8 day clocks and altimeters and airspeed indicators on ebay are pretty cheap. Be a cheap instument package..

7. Trucked Up

Trucked Up

Where's the carb heat..............:D

8. 3Mike6

3Mike6

Hmmn, and guys complain about neon lights under rice burners.

9. I think it's funny that Classic Instruments and others are making a big deal about these gauges that "Moal Designed".
    Funny because VDO had the Cockpit series of gauges back in the 70's and the looked pretty much the same. We sold a few through our speed shop back then but most people agreed they were for poseurs - Ooh look, I have airplane gauges :p

10. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

How about a mechanical float type aircraft fuel g[​IMG]auge?

11. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Not the best pics .. ck out the circle in white ( pilot tube )

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  12. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

Ummm what are we looking at in the white circles???? Wait are those Sasquach EGGS!

13. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

pitot tube smart ass.

14. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

No dick weed ..pilot tube

15. #### Dude thats the fuel gauge from my AIRECOUPE >>>>.

16. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Ya think it would work in a model a?

17. Uhhh. or PITOT tube

18. Pitot.

Sideways in 2nd gear will alter the reading as well.

S'ok though, he can double check his MPG on the tachometer.

19. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

Kevin,

I'll argue that...

On the salt, wheel spin can make a mechanical gauge lie, and head or tail wind can fool you about how fast you are really capable of. I think an air speed indicator, especially when used both ways, would tell you how big a hole you are really punching through the air.

In fact, I think you can see one mounted on the column of a streamliner in that cockpit video someone posted last week.

I have had one on the shelf for months, waiting for my dash to get finished, with an aircraft tach. I have been planning the aviation twist with a few other details for some time, but decided the airspeed indicator would be fine on the street with a little trial and error. I have since come to rely on a gps unit for business travel, so I am sure it will be on the windshield much of the time, but it will just make the trial part easier.

20. Just get a GPS that has a MPH readout if you want accurate and not a mechanical. A lot of the salt flat and land speed racers use them. Especially useful for license qualifying runs where you need to run certain speed ranges. On a street car you can just use your tach and learn what rpms correspond to the speed you are going.

21. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

um anyone who thinks aircraft gauges are for posers, go look at harley earle. He loved the things and he was no poser. I did see an airspeed indicator that was modified with an air core speedo movement. I think the numbers were repainted to make it accurate. Aircraft stuff has been used in rods as long as there have been rods. Most people put it in because it's different and not everyone has it. Airplane stuff and rods just seem to go together.

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

To me, there is a fine line between contrived and bitchin... And I think that line varies from person to person. I'm cool with that.

23. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Don't forget they'll read knots instead of mph normally - about 15% difference.

...although many of the early ones will have both scales.

24. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Head or tail wind. That's my whole point. If there is a head or tail wind you have no idea how fast you are really going. You're just measuring your speed against an air mass that may or may not be moving. Hmmm... air speed. :)

And I'm just talking about use on the street here. No way I would try to argue anyone's use of anything on a Bonneville racer. Different animal completely.

25. Mopar34

Mopar34

Does it really matter? In 90 % of the cases, where people who put them in their cars it's going to be for decoration. Only 10 % will get any functionality out of them. If you like it, put it in after all, it's your car to do with as you please. If you think it looks stupid, then leave it out. JMO.

Now if I can figure out how to mount a set of retractable pontoons under the 34 along with a propellor shaft so I can use the car for water taxi service I'll be happy. Having fun with old cars.:D:D

26. Not necessarily.
    They come both ways.

Far as I know the Cessna 150 - high wing trainer - has an airspeed indicator scaled in mph.
    Later 150's than the C model (1964 era) I flew may have a knot-meter, but the later 152's have their airspeed indicator scaled in knots.

Not as confusing as it seems, but you do end up memorizing the different V-speeds.

Use 15% for easy figuring.
    100 knots = 115 mph.

Now I just gotta figure out where to mount the WW2 era cabin temperature gauge my pal bought for 50 cents and gave to me.

I tell ya, we got killer garage sales out here....

27. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

It's hard to find a guage that doesn't start at 60 knots anyway. Just thought it would be kinda cool. I know bugs make there way in the pitot tube and nest and that makes the airspeed read like a altimeter sometimes. Learned that the hard way as a kid learning to fly.

28. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

The "Tom Tom" gps I have is 100% accurate for ground speed, but it doesn't have the "look"!

29. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you can make the gyros work easy if you get some old ones, then you have the added coolness of listening to them spin up when you start the car. all you need is the vaccume regulator out of any aircraft with a vaccume system. On an aircraft they have a dedicated pump, but you aren't going to be doing any IMC driving,at least i hope not, if you have a vaccume tank for a power brake booster,tap off of it. I have a regulator if someone has an aircraft set up, it's new old stock,was in some junk but was never used. If anyone wants it they can have it for shipping.

30. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Airspeed indicator is coooooooool, if you ask me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.