Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cost of Shipping (a minor rant)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by G V Gordon, Oct 10, 2008.

1. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I have been buying and selling parts for a lot of years. It helps pay for my toys and I feel like it helps move other folks projects along as well.

A trend I see lately is that someone will say I'll take it and then when they get the final figure I never hear from them again.

Now, it takes some time to box the stuff up and go to the shipper to get an acurate shipping total, and everyones time is valuable for sure.

I understand that money is getting tight and sometimes the sticker shock of shipping could just make it unrealistic to close the deal, but at least be up front and say man that's more than I can afford and let the seller know. That way the next guy in line can have a chance.

I have to say that this is mostly from other sites, the deals on the HAMB usually go through without a hitch, but it's just something to think about before you pull the trigger on a deal. Freight is HIGH and a lot of the stuff we ship is heavy.

A little common courtesy goes a long way. Something to think about.

GV

2. NightMarcher

NightMarcher

Try living in Hawaii. Everything I buy I need to pay SO MUCH for the shipping it's crazy.

3. Just estimate the stuff and save yourself a little headache. That's what I do. If there's a huge difference I refund the money back.

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I hear ya Gordo...my yearly ups bill went from $20k to $25K this year...and I don't even want to mention the usps bill to alaska.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Yeah... what he said.

When I was shipping through the ebay site years ago, I got tired of wasting my time going back and forth trying to find a quote, etc. I just finally got to a point where I charged a flat rate for the shipping and if it was a drastic difference - typically it never was - I'd give a refund or offer the buyer a credit or something.

This was brought back to the forefront awhile back when I sold the steering setup out of a '56 buick I parted out. Spent at least 3 hours between the post office and lines trying to get the right amounts, but this thing went to Germany, so shipping was going to be a pain in the ass no matter what. Everything went off without a hitch, and I made a good chunk of change as well.

6. Wesley

Wesley

get your own UPS or FedEx shipper number. That way you can be very accurate on freight prices up front. I will warn you that none of the shippers I use have their fuel surcharges accurately represented online so always add a little for that.

For a little perspective I shipped a set of BBC iron heads to a buyer in Maine, the frieght on UPS was a little over $100, I was more than a little concerned that it would kill the deal, the buyer told me "hell I cant drive to Texas and back for $100".
    While the cost of freight has gone WAY up in the last couple of years, it is still a lot cheaper than trying to deliver it yourself.

7. Shipping can be a deal killer. I have got to the point that if it wont fit in a post office flat rate box i dont even bother. Ups is too high. It is 40 miles to the nearest fed X and grayhound is 70 miles from me. Not worth the hassle to box and get quote,s . We have had the same problems never hear back.:p OldWolf