Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abomination

Abomination

Thanks for posting those, Johnny - a lot of folks have been asking about them!

~Jason

2. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

for all the 3100 lovers...

0810cct_01_z+1950_chevy_truck+front_quarter_view.jpg

3. I am interested as well, as I have a '36 lowcab that I would like to build as a shop truck, full fendered of coarse. A bit of research showed the short S10 frame as a good match in wheelbase, my only concern being whether the front fenders would clear the upper control arms.

4. Abomination

Abomination

That IS a good question. It'll probably have me distracted all day at work. :)

~Jason

5. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I assume that most of you, like me will be adding a SBC to the S-10 chassis.
    What are you using for springs/spindles and where did you get the best deal?
    I want to lower the front 2".

Also ...where is the best deal on front end bushing kits for these guys?

6. C4 Metal Werks

C4 Metal Werks
    from California

I'm doing a 327/TH350 with 2" drop spindles. Check out www.s10forum.com for good info and vendors.

7. kruzr

kruzr

Guys,I'm doing a 37 Ford pickup on S-10 frame, I put Mustang rack and pinion steering....narrowed the frame at the front where the body will sit.
    Will post pics soon....lotsa work it turned out to be,but will be worth it. Hoping I can get it in "da weeds" uppers should clear fenders. Just going to cut one coil for now for ride height.

The 36 chev I'm not sure will clear but the 38 has alot more roundess on top of fender to clear the uppers. The big prodlem is the steering box... its huge.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  8. koolkemp

koolkemp

Does any one have any more info/pics on the 46-48 Ford on tudor on the first page?? I would love to see some s10 41-48 Ford car swaps....quote]

9. rhondayou

rhondayou

I found a store on Ebay called the S-10 warehouse. They are out of Florida and they specialize in stripping down wrecked S-10's. They provide an odometer reading and photo of the wrecked vehicle that each part has come out of.
    I purchase 2 uppper A-arms complete with ball joints, and bushings with only 10,000 miles on them for like $70.00 bucks. They were like brand new.
    I also purchased the complete steering linkage with a new steering box for like $75.00 bucks.
    I also purchased my fat front sway bar and rear sway bar with all the mounting hardware and bushings for like $30.00 bucks each. Nothing had more than 15,000 miles on them.

I went with 2' drop spindles on the front and 3 " drop blocks on the back. Prior to installing the drop blocks I had my rear leaf springs re-arched and bushed.

10. Abomination

Abomination

Hey - thanks for passing that on. At those prices, it's almost not worth stripping the parts yourself!

~Jason

11. Gator

Gator

May as well throw mine on here - I bought a nice, nearly rust free '40 Ford pickup body from Nebraska a couple months back. The original frame was long gone and it was sitting on a 108" S10 frame, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

I trimmed it about 1-3/4 near the front of the cab. I basically 'straightend' it to match the rear part of the frame. I boxed the area with 1/4 plate.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The cab was also trimmed about 1" forward of the doors and trimmed the inner fender area. The cab sits flat on the frame, although I did have to make two 1/2" relief cuts an the back of the cab. I'm estimating I'll have to shorten the bed 4" in front of the rear wheels, although I personally think it will help with the trucks proportions.

12. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

Anyone looking for an s-10 front clip? I have a 2003 with steering column that and FNG has stood me up on for two weeks. Cut clean behind the front mount. Also still have the other half of frame as he changed his mind abouth the front clip. P.M. me if any intrest.

Jon

13. Abomination

Abomination

That is f'n BEAUTIFUL!. ;)

~Jason

14. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

my frame is ready for the backets next time i want to get my cab. and front fenders and start with welding the brackets on the chassis..

Afb000.jpg

15. Abomination

Abomination

Your garage is a lot cleaner than mine. :)

~Jason

16. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Yeah only toobad my garage is in the netherlands and im living in germany.. so everytime i come home i trying to work as much as posibole on my project... for a long time i didnt see much change but now with this Thread you have give me so many new ideas thanx for that Jason!!! :D

17. kruzr

kruzr

Here's a pic of mine,going under 37 ford pickup.
    The front frame horns were cut off, will refab to match rad shell and rad.
    In the process of mounting rack n pinion....
    Cant seem to get all the pics to load......says upload failed

Attached Files:

• 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      112.9 KB
      Views:
  18. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

maybe you have to resize your pics and then try it again.

19. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

here is a update from my S10 chassis pictures..

First to refresh this what it looks like 1week ago chevycab.jpg

and now this pictures are taken last weekend

frame-1.jpg frame-2.jpg frame-3.jpg frame-5.jpg frame-7.jpg frame-9.jpg frame-11.jpg

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  20. Abomination

Abomination

Hey, it's what I'm here for! ;)

~Jason

21. Abomination

Abomination

Man, you've GOT to post more! This is great stuff!

Even if you post the pics one at a time, on per day, it's totally worth it. People ask about doing what you're doing with what you're doing it with all the time!

~Jason

22. Abomination

Abomination

Man, it looks like you're in Germany!

You've made considerable progress! :)

~Jason

23. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

Yeah next time i want to put the V8 in it and the cab mounts in place...

:D

24. kruzr

kruzr

Thanks tumtum it worked
    Jason,I resized them and they loaded. Wanted to wait till frame was all painted to show it but what ta hell its "under construction." Tried the body on the frame today,mocked up a fender and going to fit great. I'll have more pics later.

Glad you started this thread,alot of good info and pics to see,the guys are doing good job.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 7, 2008
  25. repoguy

repoguy

This is a great thread.

My next build will probably be 47-53 Chevy pickup on an S10 frame.

This is very helpful and informative stuff.

Thanks!

26. Ok, here is my addition to the s-10 frame swap. I am putting a 53 dodge pilothouse truck on a 108" 2wd s-10 chassis, it has been a very easy swap, probably a 2 out of 5. I used the original body mounts from the dodge frame, actually made a jig of all mounts on the dodge truck and was able to just move the jig over to the s-10 frame, set my height and start adapting the original mounts and running board brackets to it. I have lots of pics of the progress up to where i am now.... Still got a long ways to go. Bud :d

Attached Files:

JIMMYDESAINT likes this.
  27. koolkemp

koolkemp

Still hoping someone will post some 46-48 Ford passenger car info......

28. Abomination

Abomination

Thank YOU, Jerry. You rule. :)

~Jason

29. Abomination

Abomination

Thanks!

And hey, if anyone else has any more progress pics/tips, hook us up with 'em!

~Jason

30. Abomination

Abomination

That jig's outstanding!

You'll have to post some more pics of your progress - not many people doing the pilothouse trucks on S-10s...

~Jason

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.