Register now to get rid of these ads!

Lets see some some Slick 60s F100s!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Aug 18, 2008.

1. meteorgasser

meteorgasser
    from Lodi, Ohio

2. meteorgasser

meteorgasser
    from Lodi, Ohio

3. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I think you have a leaky valve? or a heavy right foot... or a tire with a really bad smoking habit. What kinda motor you have pushin that bad boy?

4. 65fordguy

65fordguy

hey man, wish I could help ya... but im an automatic kinda guy... I swapped in a 5.0 HO and a c6 did away with the manual stuff and the left over hack job junk left over from the previous owner.. to keep the old school ford look I just ordered a Gennie shifter with the 23 inch swan shifter.... I like the c6 trannys but I think you have to go with the ford o matic? Dont know a whole lot about them other than what I read on wiki pedia.

5. jagfxr1949

jagfxr1949

OK, here's mine - may be sort of OT, but it hauls the on topic crap around and hay and dirt and anything else I can think of to toss in the back. '67 with 390 and AT - just a truck right now.

Attached Files:

6. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Just remembered that I had found a Uni body short bed at a salvage yard that was in semi rough shape. but looked verrry fixable. It had one incorrect door on it... as in one from a normal truck with the swoosh down body line... the unis had a swept line. It had a y block in it. that looked decent. I got some pics of it if any one is interested its in Central Arkansas. O yeah it took a bump to the front.. nothing to bad though. donor fender and grille.

7. meteorgasser

meteorgasser
    from Lodi, Ohio

8. bigv

bigv
    from Australia

Here is my 61 f100. first we fixed the suspension......

[​IMG]

9. bigv

bigv
    from Australia

Then we fixed the roof.....[​IMG]

10. bigv

bigv
    from Australia

Just need a front windshield and some minor finishing up and it'll be back on the road again.
    Some real nice trucks in this topic too BTW.
    Later, BigV.

11. downhomegirl

downhomegirl
    from Ogden

where are you in wyoming? you sound like a real opinionated asshole, it surprises me i don't know you, must be from the other side of the state

looked at your pictures trying to figure out if i did know you and you going to do anything with that 60 F-100?
    i'm looking for parts if you aren't.

oh heres my trucks grill, the truck is in pieces right now :( she'll be pretty someday

Attached Files:

12. downhomegirl

downhomegirl
    from Ogden

that ia a beautiful truck... nice and simple, clean, just purrdy :)

13. downhomegirl

downhomegirl
    from Ogden

perhaps i've not gotten around but thats the first i've seen of a truck like that with the top chopped, and damn does it look good.

14. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Now thats different! but I dont think I would fit... 6'6" tall. 250pd. I like my head room lol.

15. downhomegirl

downhomegirl
    from Ogden

for a girl i'm kind of on the big side 5'11'' but i think it'd fit me just perfect :)

and i kind of have a thing for crucks, or trars but thats like a cruck with out the tacky

16. and i kind of have a thing for crucks, or trars but thats like a cruck with out the tacky[/quote]

huh?

17. I kinda like it too. Thanks.

18. downhomegirl

downhomegirl
    from Ogden

huh?[/quote]
    the car/truck, a ranchero, or el Camino

19. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Heres some rides I found on the net... the black shop truck was on ebay...
    sorta similar to the type of truck Id like to build. The Blue truck.... I reallly like
    the work on it... and If I wanted to do a "show" truck Id do this. But Im building
    a Shop truck.... maybe I will marry the two.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

exterminator and BHoover like this.
  20. 6narow

6narow

Do you know if the clutch was recently changed out?
    If not, and you bought the truck, that's one thing you might want to look into pretty quick.
    why?
    I suspect its reaching its "TBO" and will probably need replacement sometime in the near future.

....until then...

Adjust it.
    The free travel in the clutch pedal should be at least the length of your thumb, maybe a shade longer.
    That should make it easier to shift.
    Pay attention to how deep you have to push the pedal in, when you shift.
    You should hardly notice the operation, it'll be that shallow.
    If you feel you still need to push it in quite a ways, then the clutch may indeed be getting near time to change out.
    If its still grinds or is somewhat difficult to shift after adjustment, then you're definately looking at a new disc/presure plate...and maybe a tranny rebuild (i.e., worn synchros).

Fortunately, most manual tranny's of that era are farily simple to rebuild.

...and when you put it together, add about a 1/2 bottle of STP to the fluid. It'll smooth it out some and stop the shifting from getting "balky" during the cold months.

Pour the other half of the bottle into the rear end.

Helps 'em both last longer.

6narow

21. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Nice to have people who actually know what there talking about around.. My truck would still be sitting lifeless in the garage with flat tires if it weren't for the knowledgeable people on this site and my other favorite.. ford truck enthusiast. com .

Lets keep this post alive...

Would there be an interest to start a social group for 61-66 f100s? I know there is one for f100s but its mainly 50s trucks there.

22. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Check out the grommets (sp) in the shift linkage on the engine side of the firewall. My grommets got hard and broke. This made it a pain in butt to shift smooth. I replaced the grommets, adjusted the linkage and everything was smooth as silk.

23. 6narow

6narow

Dan,

Wouldn't that put a lot of free play in the shifter? (w/ missing grommets)
    He should still be able to shift without it grinding, or are you saying that is what caused your tranny to grind?

6narow

24. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

Thanks for the detailed help...unfortunately i ended up passing on the truck....I am sure y'all helped somebody else out though....If I do end up finding one I know where to go for help!

Thanks again

25. 6narow

6narow

BZNSRAT,

I kinda figured you did.
    Keep that info on tap, though. I'm sure you're going to run across again, sometime down the line.

6narow

26. [​IMG]
    whack the LOUD pedal.....

[​IMG]
    every morning I get greeted to this....
    Its been an awesome dailydriver, and no it aint bagged....
    [​IMG]
    in the weeds eh!
    I have this '66 Merc Crewlcab, its a retired mill site fire crew truck with only 45,000 original miles, also a '65 Merc crewlcab, a '66 Merc extracab, '63 lwb uni, '65 Merc swb flareside 1/2ton with a dana 60!, '66 Merc swb styleside 1/2ton with a dana60!, '66 Ford swb styleside custom cab factory black and just made a deal on two more crewlcabs, ones a '66 Ford the other is a '66 Mercury, both are factory 4x4s, the one above is the only one on the road, all the rest are projects....

And yeah that Overhaulin truck is ugly, an 80s monochrome build! yuck! That pic should not be on this site at all!

65fordguy, you started this thread right? Well wheres your pic of your truck?

-Shiny

27. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

Heres one I took a picture of at a local car show in Redlands, CA last year. Lots of very nice work done on this one.

Attached Files:

28. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Lol... thanks shiny... my truck has been residing in a shop on stands with no wheels... I am o so close to getting it out and stretching its legs.... I lack 3 brake lines... get it done this week hopefully. It aint purty yet... one side is rattle can black... part blue... the other side is blue with a redish bedside. the bed floor is rusted out... cutting it out soon to put in a wood bed.... I just like wooded beds.

[​IMG] This is about as good as it gets for a picture of the truck.... taken the day I bought it.

[​IMG]
    picture of the donor bed

[​IMG]
    new disc brake front end... no it aint slammed to the ground. I love the look of the lowered truck... but after I rode in one... I knocked my head 3 times getting in. im 6'6.5 and 250 pds. Just like it stock height. I will put some nice hot rod wheels on it... what size and which wheel yet to be determined.

29. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Here is a picture of a wood bed in a 64 f100.

[​IMG]

not a fan of the color of the wood... I tend to go more towards the darker woods.
    But iove the look.

30. 6narow

6narow

65Fordguy,

You could always stain the wood a darker colour.
    If you rub it in (rather than painting it on), you'll get more "pop" from the grain.
    I think Oak is pretty hardy. Probably what those wood slats are made from.
    Also, some clear coats aren't exactly "clear". They will give the wood a dark, "golden yellow" colouring, like what you see in that last picture you posted.

...just passing on the idea.

BTW, brightened up the pic you posted of your front end. Easier to see the underpinnings now, althogh I think I may have over done it a little.

6narow

Attached Files: