Register now to get rid of these ads!

Definitive S-10 Frame Swap Vehicle List

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Abomination, Jun 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stragedy

stragedy

Let me know when you start the thread, I will have some pictures and info to contribute. I did a lot of research before I started.

2. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Hey Stragedy, you mean to tell me you have done a 49 to 54 Chevy shoebox and put it on an S-10 frame? If so then please do post some pictures. My 52 Chevy wagon has a lot of the floor that is bad and putting it on an S-10 sure would be nice.

Thanks for any info you can give me on that..........

3. Abomination

Abomination

You'd better believe it!

There's not a lot of talk about it, so we may as well do the same thread, only with the Ranger and Explorer! They definitely deserve some love. I figured I'd start the thread, and post a link to this in it, and vice-versa, to help folks get from one thread to the other.

Who knows, maybe the folks that are into the Ford chassis swaps will click and consider the S-10, and vice-versa. Either way, I'm positive the two camps would have different things to contribute. :)

Maybe we can all just get along after all. ;)

I'll keep you posted for sure!

~Jason

4. stragedy

stragedy

No, i sure don't. I am not sure what gave you the idea I had, read the post from Abomination that I was quoting, you'll see we're talking about me having a 51/52 F1 Ford on an Explorer chassis.

5. stragedy

stragedy

It'll be interesting. The Explorer (Gen 2) chassis is a good simple platform with lots of different options and I think is a bit narrower than as S10. They're also just as cheap.

6. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I got my ass fed to me when I suggested putting as S-10 clip on my '56 Merc Sedan Delivery project. I asked if anyoine put a Y-Block into an S-10 Chassis:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=263128

They talked me out of it,l So I have an extra front clip is someone needs one. Its in Michigan at the moment.

I'm still doing a '50 Chevy PU conversion shortly. Should be a walk in the park. Looks like I'll be doing more chassis cleaning and prep than fabbing.

7. Abomination

Abomination

Don't be shy, man - post us some pics!

~Jason

8. INF

INF
    from las vegas

im doing a s10 under my 58, not to bad. i had to change the rear end, its[​IMG] a little narrow.

9. Truckeez

Truckeez

Hi, I'm concocting a Diabolical 37 GMC Woody wagon on an S10 frame scheme in my head right now---now the rear frame kickup Dilema---To keep the floor low why not backhalf it with some rectangular tubing and custom spring perches and make the rear rails like you want it to begin with---and the wheelbase. twards the front the main thing I dislike about the s10 is the big fat front frame horns and the well inboard mounting flats for the idler arm and steering box---has anyone scoped out the possibility of mounting a rack and pinion setup on an S10?

10. Frank02L

Frank02L
    from Searcy, AR

See my post a week or so ago in this thread.

11. Wicked50

Wicked50

I have a 1950 Chevy 3100 and was wondering if anyone on the H.A.M.B has used the Advanced-Design Engeering kit. What kind of problems if any did you encounter? On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the easiest would you say it is to install?

12. Abomination

Abomination

Bump for the night time folks!

~Jason

13. mink

mink
    from CT

Cool love these technical threads they are becoming a rarity. :p
    my 32 4 door chevy has a wheel base of 109 so the s10 108 truck wheebase will fit fit . Don't go fenderless though

14. Abomination

Abomination

No doubt, man! ;)

~Jason

15. Abomination

Abomination

I've wondered that, too.

It's what, like $1100 for the kit? I've always been curious how much of a headache $1100 buys you out of (not that it's all THAT difficult).

~Jason

16. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

I'd check on this -- my '91 S-10 shorty PU also sat higher than "stock". I think it was just a different rear spring mount. I've got two Blazers now ('85 and '94) that don'ts sit any higher.

17. Wild Turkey

Wild Turkey

I'd check on this -- my '91 S-10 shorty PU also sat higher than "stock". I think it was just a different rear spring mount. I've got two Blazers now ('85 and '94) that don't sit any higher.

18. Abomination

Abomination

If you check and find lakotaCircleDancer's stuff to be in error, let us know - You'll be the first guy online to post it, and might save a lot of folks some trouble!

~Jason

19. Right arm ed

Right arm ed
    from new jersey

Can i use a 2006 s10 frame under my 1952 ford pick up with the v6 in it. Are the frames the same size as the older ones.

20. Abomination

Abomination

I'm pretty sure ALL the frames are the same... and a V8 can bolt in place if that V6 easily. ;)

~Jason

21. hot_rod_17

hot_rod_17

I'm in the process of putting a 51 Chevy 3100 on an s10 chassis. I have the cab set and the front clip mocked up trying to figure out my radiator situation. Those who have done it, know the steering box is causing problems. I read the above posts about the rack and pinion or just swapping the steering box. I've also seen a few that have the radiator on one helluva angle, with the bottom kicked way forward. I'm thinking of going with a 26x19 double pass racing radiator. I'm running a new rebuilt 400sbc and i know they like to run a little warm. I'd have to do a little inner fender fab, but i really don't want to go any smaller. Has anyone done anything different that I might be missing? Thanks.

22. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

it would be great if there is somekind of manual with lot of pics and drawings what you must do to get a chevrolet 3100 under s10 chassis

23. Abomination

Abomination

That's why this thread is here - if anyone has any pics like that, to post 'em! :D

Hell, if you find something elsewhere online, post it here.

~Jason

24. bigtumtum

bigtumtum

25. Abomination

Abomination

26. Abomination

Abomination

27. Abomination

Abomination

28. sublime kid

sublime kid

i see racerrick did a 49 chevy fleetline but has anyone else done that kind of swap on the early 50's chevys?? i have a 52 im needin to find a frame for but hell i cant get any help from some of the dickheads on here, my frame is rusted out and i need somethin to put under it. the floor is all rusted out so im gonna have to redo the floors anyway.

29. Nooj

Nooj

I love this thread- Been waiting for it.
    I built a V8 s10 ('84 model- ext cab), and was going to sell it, but I knew I couldn't get my investment back. My dad happened to have a '41 chevy 1/2 ton body(actually, 2 cabs and almost enough to build 2 trucks) and suggested I just swap the bodies.
    He's giving me the 41- and I'm giving the s10 body to a guy that's gonna help me build mounts and get the 41 lined up on the s10 frame. I know the frame's too long- but I'll either shorten it, or stretch the bed and running boards (unless I find a 3/4 ton bed/running boards, which is about the perfect length for the ext cab s10).

I'm sure some info on this thread will be helpful- and I'll try to document my build and share it, when I get started.

Nooj

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  30. 52lomofo

52lomofo

im going to use s10 uder my 52 mercury pickup

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.