Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 - 51 Mercury body mounts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Does anyone have a factory installation diagram for the body mounts on a 49-51 merc? Im working on a 51 in particular and bought a kit from Mercuryland. I am curious what the factory recommended. All the parts are not included in the kit, like the cut up tire material and shims/washers. Ill be ready soon to put the merc back on the frame and need a bit of help. Any and all info related to the body mounts would be appreciated. ETHER

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  2. ratster

ratster

nice body lift

3. sawzall

sawzall

good lord.. I hope tokyo doesn't see these photos or he'll be cutting up all the tubing he's
    "storing" for me..

4. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

ill send you some pics of a diagram i drew up for someone a while ago. i couldnt find a kit i had to use 2 41-48 kits and had some left over square pads from a shoebox kit.

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

hey ether send me yr email i have a diagram that i drew up awhile back that i could send you

6. If you have the room to store it, its a good piece to have around the shop. Like a helping hand!!!

Matt, PM sent. Ill be looking forward to email. Thanks

ETHER

7. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

I don't know if this will help but i figured i'd try anyway, i took a picture of a page in one of our books, Chilton's Motor Age Body and Frame Manual. Sorry for the poor quality
    [​IMG]

8. Matt, Is it cheapeer to use two of the earlier merc kits and is there anything else that can be used?

9. Well, the kit I bought just isnt going to work. All the mounts that bolt the body to the frame are 1/2 inch in the kit, some worked but I do have a few on the car that are 3/4 inch thick and a bit thicker. Also the mounts that the floor sit on are all 5/8 inch in the kit and I need thicker ones for these also. Im told the 49-50 merc bushings are different from the 51. Ive looked around and best I can come up with is I got some mounts from a 63-64 galaxie body mount kit and some freeze plug swell nuts that have really good rubber in them, I think the 2 1/4 ones will work best for the mounts. You can use all different sizes and trim them down with a sander to the right thickness (they were around 3/4 thick). I guess Ill have a half a mercury mount kit laying around for a future build!!!!!! Hope this helps some and thanks again 30tudor and slddnmatt for the diagram of the mounts and hardware to fasten a merc body to its frame,,,,,helped a bunch. ETHER

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  10. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Does anybody have pictures of their '49-51 Mercury body mounts and bolts/washers/shims installed?

I have the rubber body pads from Jamco. I'm looking at the Bolt Groups in the Chassis manual for my '51, and I'm wondering if I need all of the extra rubber washers, shims of varying shape and thickness, or if I can simplify things.

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  11. urcar

urcar
    from USA

yes, does any one has more pics, bcoz i need it ...

thanks

12. Here are the only pics of what I used. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

13. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

cool thanks chad, that saved me some time trying to find those damn pics! Joe the body mounts are all different sizes so pay attention to that. the two mounts at the firewall of the merc differ from merc to merc. some have steel spacers some do not, so just shim accordingly.

14. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Here is the diagram from the Lincoln Mercury Overhaul Manual. I don't know if it will help any but it can't hurt. You might have to open them in a new window to get the full size illustrations. There were also some rubber spacers that just have a spring clip to hold the in place to support the floor better.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2012
  15. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Ether, Slddnmatt, Rotorwrench,
    You guys are awesome. Thanks for all the info. It looks like I can commonize / simplify some of the bolts. The bolt group info in my '51 Mercury Body Parts Catalog lists everything, but it seems a little misleading. They don't call out shoulder bolts, but if you read the nut fastening onto it, you realize you'd need a shoulder bolt to do it.

16. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

some are shoulder bolts and some are normal. you can use normal bolts on all of them, but i would use some nyloc nuts so you can tighten them to where you want them. those crude drawings were of the first merc i pulled a body on.. i didnt know where anything went.. i was supprised how they were all different sizes too. at first i thought they were just squished from age but after i started messing with them, i knew the different thicknesses were for a reason..

17. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I have the Body Mount Pad Kit from in the picture, and the steel shims, washers, cupped steel washers from the car. The only items I don't have are the square rubber blocks 1/4" thick, or the rubber washers that fit in the cupped steel washers. Do you make these or buy these from somewhere? I was considering getting rubber from McMaster and making them, unless you guys have a better source.

Attached Files:

18. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

now which kit is that?

19. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  20. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Also, don't forget to install the rubber spacer that goes on top of the "X" crossmember and also the rubber spacers that give support to the front and rear floor pans. One spacer just sits in a little round recess on the top of each frame member. In the second photo you can see the two round spacers on the front X members. The one on the left is rubber. The one on the right is covered with masking tape. You can also see the little recess in the right rear x member where the rear rubber spacers go for the front (right and left) and the rear (right and left) floor pan. I think there are also two that go under the trunk floor pan. You can make all these spacers out of Delrin plastic if you have a lathe. Below are a series of photos (photos of pictures I took in 1997) that may help. Since the car is a convert. all the rest of the body mounts were made of steel, not rubber, so the body could not move. Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  21. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'm adding these pictures for reference for others who may come across this thread. These are from the day I took the body off that show where all of the body mount pads are placed. In my reply #10, I was interested in the bolts / shims / washers that hold the body to the frame. The only pieces I am missing are the 1/4" thick rubber blocks from Ether's list of parts.

Attached Files:

22. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Great tech article. I'm subscribed. Should add this info to ProStockJohn's parts thread? I think it is value-added.

23. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Yesterday I added a link to this thread on the 49-51 Mercury Parts thread. Pretty helpful info.

24. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Yes, I saw it after I posted on this thread. Good deal, thanks.

25. michaelvz51

michaelvz51
    from So Cal
    1. HAMB Merc Club

Hello guys,
    I wanted to Thank You for this information-I have an aftermarket 2x3 square tube chassis under my car and I will need the body mounts to mount it right. Your information here is invalueable and timely as I am beginning the work now.

26. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I found a guy on e-pay that makes neoprene washers 1/4" thick for a very reasonable price. It appears he can make the washer whatever OD and ID you want. The info in post #12 calls out for 1/4" thick square blocks, but I got round ones.

His contact info: Rubbermann7
    http://myworld.ebay.com/rubbermann7/?_trksid=p4340.l2559)

I ordered up some, to these specs: I think you'll need 12, but I ordered extra.
    Neoprene washers, 1/4" thick, 1.75" OD, 7/16" ID, with a Shore A durometer between 60 - 80.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  27. Brad Hall

Brad Hall

Hello, I’m having issues installing my bushings on a 1951 mercury 4 door. I purchased the body bushings, I kept all my old ones except the front 2 series where the body bolt to the frame (around the kick panel areas) I remember the 2 1/4 metal spacers but don’t remember if they went on the first spot or second. I’ve cut each bushing down to what this forum said except the front 2 sets I have no idea what the thickness is suppose to be or if I even have to use the metal spacers.