Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old Crow gets a new experimental 4 banger !!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bobby Green, Aug 1, 2008.

1. belair

belair

I love reverse induction engines. That is so cool. Are you going to run a traditional mechanical or an electronic carb-tapper?

2. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

WOW, I can't wait to see and hear that in person, it is amazing! Good for you guys, see you soon! :D

3. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

You probably are already aware of them.... but if you switch to Grose Jets instead of needle & seat on the Strombergs, you can stop worrying about the floats sticking. You can also run a little more fuel pressure. I'm running them and I really like them.

The banger sounds good! I would think it would have to run better with the 4 separate intake ports. Nice work.

4. studedudeus

studedudeus

Read a long time ago that that was the hot ticket with the bangers. Never seen one though. Just love that. Wish I could see it at B-ville, but no dice this year. Have a great time, and good luck.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I just had an ear-gasm! Sounds awesome Bobby.

6. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Cool beans Bobby and crew. Don't break it. I wanna see it haul as on the salt. See ya in Bonneville.

7. awesome , best of luck man!

8. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

awesome awesome awesome!! That is the coolest bit of thinking I've seen in quite a while!

9. Evel

Evel
    1. 60s Show Rods

Where dose the Tommy Hilfigure Logo go? :D

that sounds so fucking Rad... Hows Live Wire? dose she miss me?

10. Yep, that makes sense. Any thoughts on the exhaust having less flow?

That's what I figured, and I was gonna ask how you were planning on tapping at speed like others have.

Thanks,
    Kurt

11. Lucky Burton

Lucky Burton

It sounds so much better than the video. Can't wait to get to the salt.... Piero your car said it was much happier in our shop....Lucky

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If that works it may make a big differance in my Dodge Bros. plan. It looks like two up two down should be the plan. I'll be watching.

13. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Sounds Awsome!Like an aero engine from the first world war.GREAT SOUND!

14. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

If you dry sump the carbs you won't have that problem.

NO JOKE!

Ask anyone that ever ran a Super Vee!

You just have to remember sump pump on first

If I remember we used a choke pump from a Jag but it was so long ago.......:cool:

15. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

That is just way way cool.The best to your efforts. Makes a guy wonder about a stovebolt, hmmm..........

16. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Thats what I was thinking!!!

17. Casey

Casey
    Member Emeritus

very cool ! good luck out on the salt with it

18. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Bobby and crew, that is really cool!! Logan did a nice job of building that intake!! There is an old flat bottom boat that has a blown nailhead in it, he did the same thing. I heard it looks really crazy.
    Good luck on the salt
    Jimmy White

19. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

Hemi Jimmy, I'd love to see what that nailhead looks like. Try and get a pic if you can.

Thanks for the info. I picked up a few yesterday. They are already working.

P. It's tattooed on my ass.

Rich, I'll let you know how it goes. I'd like to see the new dodge motor.

20. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

I really like the way it sounds. How much hp do you think it putting out??
    I will be looking for it at Bonneville this year. Good Luck

-Eric Carter

21. flynstone

flynstone

when you add more intake dont you have to add more exaust for it to work better??? looks and sounds great im sure its faster but some how you need more exaust .........................maybe thats the secret internals............dont get me wrong i love it ,,im just curious...............love those bangers................

22. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you notice for the last 50 or 60 years it has been the norm to have exhaust ports smaller than the intakes. I forget the "Ideal" ratio but it's a big turnaround from 1932 when cars came with 2 intake ports and 4 exhaust. Not to sure about how well the block will like the heat being where it wasn't planned for. That's why it's Hot Rodding. Learn by doing.

23. Bobby Green

Bobby Green

I think that this setup could be a poor choice for a hot rod or a roundy round car, as the block could possibly crack from the long periods of heat, but for a 1 min. run down the lakes. It will be just fine. However, I do have dual pyrometers to keep me informed.

24. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

OK here's the deal........ you CAN have less exhaust area than intake !!!

HOW?? You ask???

Cause the F'n piston is PUSHING the stuff out !!! Rocket Science 101 :)

In early engines this was less of a issue cause they had cams with Zero revs and Zero overlap and they could try any hairbrain thing they wanted too

The most important thing to remember is:

This IS racing! If works people do it over and over Whitness The lack of Mopar powered sprint cars vs Chevy's!

What Bobby has here was and is no secret developed last week

So unless he has come up with something really special and new that no one ever thought of in the last 50 years since this was rejected his efforts are basically a waste of time......... that's racing. No matter how COOL,SWEET,or whatever it is how you do when the flag drops.

I wish him well but my wishes are not going to make him go faster.

That's racing. At least as I told him the other day I don't think this will hurt him. And in Bobby's case that's honestly most important.

25. 49anglia

49anglia

Ive got some info somewhere about reversing the ports on UK ford 4 bangers, the 1172 sidevalve.

Seems like it was reasonably popular in the 50's.

Ill go see what i can find.

26. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Well there you go. Might as well leave the thing home.

27. 49anglia

49anglia

Ok, i only have a little info.

Port reversal was banned in the 1172 racing series but its still mentioned in the tuning book.

Its PDF so ill type exactly what the book says.

Remember its an old english book, so it all sounds a little prim:)

Theres a diagram, but its just a drawing of a manifold set up, nothing great.

'it will be evident that if this modification is, if fact, carried out, four seperate inlet ports will be obtained with all the advantages thereof. For example, with the 4 exhaust ports used as inlets, a variety of induction systems is possible, including a seperate carburetter for each cylinder, or with ports paired in the ricardo manner of 1-4 and 2-3, which avoids overlapping of strokes, but which requires rather long induction pipes.

With this induction system the exhaust side unfortunately suffers. In fact it is just about hopeless in itself as an aid to power. Not only ar ehte exhaust ports siamesed but the stokes overlap, giving the valves a very hard time because they get little respite from heat. However, the use of an aluminium cylinder head and liberal finned extensions on the 2 ports helps matters. The two pipes should be merged about 3 ft from the block and it is as well to keep the diameter down to about an inch or a little more to encourage high velocity outflow.

The existing camshaft would hardly do justice to this drastic port alteration, although it might be practicable to reverse the shaft rotation by using a pair of gears in place of the chain drive. With the possibility of such improved breathing, a special camshaft is really essential to obtain the full effect.'

Thats all he says, not much new info, but confirmation people were doing this in europe back in the day too.

28. Wildfire

Wildfire

I've read about this on the HAMB before. First time to see one actually done.

Good luck to you and may the gods of speed smile on your banger...

29. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

thats bad ass. hope it works.

30. zellerware

zellerware
    from dad's shop

Bobby- looks great! sounds better! You do remarkable work!

I met ya last year at Bonneville.. Looking forward to seeing her run this year at speed week.. cya then...