Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing surface rust from machined surfaces

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemisteve, Jul 17, 2008.

1. What's a good way to remove rust from flat, true machined surfaces without damaging the surface itself? I've got a bunch of shop equipment that was stored in an ocean freight container and the humidity has rusted all the bare metal/machined surfaces. I hate to get aggressive and screw up the parts - any easy way to clean it off? I've heard rubbing compound works (yes, I did a thread search first :D) but, again, I don't want to mess with the tolerances of the machined parts. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Get some Gibbs brand penetrant. A couple of applications and patience will bring the surfaces back with NO materiel removal. It's amazing stuff. Go to Roadsters.com and learn all about it.

Frank

3. I don't know if it'd mess with the tolerances but you might try some 0000 steel wool and WD-40 if it's just light surface rust. A spray bottle with distiled whight vinager to softan it up first might be handy.

4. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

Brass wire brush. Its softer than the steel and harder than the rust.

5. 3-OOO steel wool mixed with the gibbs>>>>.

6. bronze steel wool too, boat stores have it.

7. oldspeed

oldspeed
    from Upstate NY

When we have moisture problems at the factory we wipe the surfaces down with Kerosene and a rag, seems to work on Bridgeport tables and does no harm. It won't remove pits but will clean things up.

8. Great info guys - I've talked to Dave Mann about that Gibbs stuff and it does sound amazing, looks like I'm placing an order . . .

Steve

9. Elmo Rodge

Elmo Rodge

I've also used air tool oil and scotch brite. It worked quite well. Wayno

10. noboD

noboD

And maybe some fine scotchbrite.

11. toddc

toddc

If its a bit too heavy for #000 steel wool, try scraping it with the long edge of a HSS parting tool bit. But be careful not to let the ends dig in.

12. Roadsters.com

Roadsters.com

I know that steel is the topic here, but just wanted to point out that as Steel Wool is rubbed across something, tiny steel particles are broken off, and they can become embedded in soft metals, leading to rust. That doesn't happen with Scotch-Brite.

Since I started using it in the Eighties, I've been of the opinion that Scotch-Brite made Steel Wool obsolete. We're really lucky it exists.

Dave
    (602) 233-8400
    http://www.roadsters.com/