Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 110welding?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mink, Jun 17, 2008.

1. kustombypook

kustombypook

On a frame, yes!

2. mink

mink
    from CT

[​IMG]
    do my welds looks any better? still practicing. This is my first time welding continuously.
    trying to get those dimes. I am hereing those contiuous welding sounds that we want to here according to tech sites. As i welded i rocked the welder in the motion of c's as i pulled the gun across. what motions should i use

I plan on removing the angle iron and tacking in 2x5 3/16 walled sq. tubing and having someone touching it all up

3. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Mink, I got your VM and left one back for you. I can be around this weekend if need be (Sat/Sunday, I'll be away at Englishtown on Friday) to take a look in person and offer any advice; I live probably less than 10-15 minutes from you in East Berlin on the Middletown line.

If you can get your hands on some 3/16 plate maybe we can get it fixed up for you this weekend or next week sometime. There is a welding & steel place in New Britain across from the old Papa's Dodge that should have some plate in stock, they can even shear it to size and save us some labor. A straight shot down RT 9 for you.

Regardless, give me a shout back and we'll make arrangements for a looksie. Depending on your welder and what I see we might have to drag your frame over to my house. My stuff is old (Miller 35 MIG and Miller EconoTwin TIG units) but work well. Might be a good chance for you to learn and practice some MIG welding on a 220v machine........

Al in CT

4. mink

mink
    from CT

Thanks Al . quite sure i have the right steel but should i go to logan steel and pick up that square tubing?

just butwelded this metal on only one side and tested it in a vise. the metal will keep bending with out the weld braking .
    [​IMG]

5. 38plymouth

38plymouth

Good advice, wish I could get a point across that easily :)

6. Killer

Killer

look, i was giving the ship builder a hard time, its fun to get them certified dudes all riled up! He knows what hes talking about.. I'm just glad I've never had to hang upside down in my skivvies welding a nuke... Thats all I'm sayin. :p

seriously man, flux core wire welding is the easiest there is. Pull the trigger and drag a straight line.

You've got someone 10 minutes away willing to help you out and maybe show you a few tricks. Keep practicing till he gets there. But don't show us anymore of your welding until after you guys fix the frame.

J

7. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

>>>but should i go to logan steel and pick up that square tubing?>>>

PM or email me ([email protected]) your address and when you'll be around Sat. or Sunday and I'll take a run over; then we can decide what you'll need for materials 'n stuff.

Al in CT

8. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Mink

I dont mean to be too critical but you really need to get someone who is a professional to do your frame welding... Its for your own safety

You are going to kill yourself or someone else with your frame extended like this:eek:

Gary

[​IMG]

9. whats the back side look like?

10. zombo27

zombo27
    from E-town Ky.

I am beginning to realize there are alot of folks on here that don't know dick about welding. Fortunate for me they live far away. UNfortunate for the friends, family and neighbours of said hackers.

11. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

This thread oughta be deleted before someone else reads it and retains any information from it. Just like you can't unsee things that you wish you could, there is shit information that you can't unread that you wish you could.

For the love of God, delete this thread, please.

12. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

ok, here we go why dont you back it up tell me whats the wrong info . Im going to the coner store and im going to photo copy write out of my welding engineering book anything you say is wrong and post the write info . This thread doesnt need to be deleated just people need to no that 110 welders are tonka toys. If your new to welding its worse And that flux core is great and made for heavy steel never boady panels.

13. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

<TABLE class=tborder id=post2900336 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100&#37;" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #999999 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #999999 1px solid; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none" width=150>

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_2900336 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #999999 1px solid"><!-- icon and title -->
    <HR style="COLOR: #999999" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Welding Beams for Sky Scrapers Flux core sucks huh
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

14. core is great for heavy. i do it all night every night but its 1.6mm wire from a three phase miller, not .023 from a 110. id sey he did ok up until the frame busness and he should take al up on his offer.

15. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Let me point you to the JB Weld aisle.

16. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

Actually, if you'd quit burying your nose in the dictionary and reread my post you will see that I didn't point any fingers. I don't think I have to.

Please, do it for the children- delete this thread. Don't just close it because that would leave the information out there floating in the ether, and someone might still read it. Get out the wooden stake and drive it home. Delete.

17. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

lol when you put it like that . Im not getting involved in welding threads anymore I get Pissed off . I just read so meny crap welding threads , people giving wrong info and when somone posts the right info a welder most the time 20 people tell him hes wrong and it mostly about flux core . most of the time i just ignore it and move on . Ill be the first to say there are some crazy talented people on the hamb when it comes to welding .

18. mink

mink
    from CT

I dont need any more criticism Hasonjinkle. I know that angle irons going and im working on my welds
    Just bought some 3/16 flat stock and am practicing on my butt welds, and lap joints. and I have contacted Al
    please dont close the thread, I'm going to continue building my project but safely and that by the advice i find on here

19. forty1

forty1

Mink,
    Besides not being able to weld, or spell, or listen to qualified individuals on this thread ( site ). Life IS in the details...
    I'd recommend you step away from the welder, and sign up for , Welding & Engineering classes.
    jim

20. Lock this down.

21. Very few welders that I know weld in their bare feet. A bare foot, can under circumstances, provide as good a ground as the clamp.

22. liljgoneman

liljgoneman
    BANNED

commando fender?.....:)

23. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Any chance he was just barefoot for the pics? :rolleyes:

Damn this thread has gone to hell in a handbasket.

Mink, lotta good advice here, and it looks like you made the educational contacts required to build skill..... but at this point you could lay dimes worthy of a funnycar cage and somebody would jump in and question everything ya did. Prolly time to move on. Good luck dude.

24. tinmann

tinmann

Well if the one photo of the "angle iron frame extension" and the other of the "chicken shit patch job" are indicative of what you've learned since you began welding at the ripe ol' age of 15..... you need to start hanging around with actual welder/fabricators. This learning on your own thing isn't working.......

.......YIKES!!!!!

25. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

Hey Mink.

Stick with it.

My first suggestion is this- go ahead and get a gas set up for that Mig welder. It is an incredibly diverse tool, and the uses only multiply with the ability to run a clean bead. getting it on the gas will lead to better, cleaner welds in the hands of a novice (in my opinion) simply because there are many, many more examples of good and bad beads in print.t- which is good, because You're gonna need to start looking for examples here and there.

Secondly, Until You are confident in Your work, never be afraid to ask for the help on structural items, such as motor mounts, frame work, and suspension. I would suggest-You have a good friend in Al, by the way- that if You need something welded together, use the mig to tack the components in place, then take the part to "The guy" so You can learn the processes to finish them out Yourself. this way, You ca get something accomplished, and know it's 100 percent at the same time.

thirdly, even with Flux Core, You cannot get the metal too clean. I think a large portion of What You are battling is good 'ol fashioned contamination. a basic rule is, if it's not shiny, it ain't gonna weld por kaka. I think it was Tyler z who had "think of it as a Zen thing...The Welder is Yen and the grinder is Yang" for a tagline for a while. no truer words have ever been spoken.

and remember this. all of these guys who are dishing out the shit ...once upon a time, they were crappy welders, too. only difference is experience, either taught, or leaned on thier own.:D

26. If there was any chance he was welding in his bare feet, it was a valid welding tip that pertained to the post. Your reply offered nothing but your criticism and assumption that I was jumping on the guy. It is obvious that he is learning about welding and can use contructive advice. Do you have any?

27. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Yeah, my constructive advice is to move past this thread. Some guys here think so little of you that apparently they're genuinely concerned about you welding barefoot. Perhaps this is the point where somebody should chime in about the risk of swimming in welder's leathers.

28. Shakey Jakey

Shakey Jakey

I agree with the first part, too cold. For sheet metal on a 110 welder turn up the amps to about 3/4 throttle then adjust the wire speed till you get that nice fryin eggs sound. Oh yeah, flux sux, you just cant consistantly wire weld properly with out the gas hooked up. Some may not agree but some great welding can be done with a 110, just gotta know how to do it right.

29. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

HAHA.... Nads that was just cruel, but funny.. go take a bath in a car wash.

Anyone looking to get serious with this welding stuff should not only take a class or two, and pay attention and learn how to weld right and practice lots on the schools scraps and have a professor criticize your welds and tell you how to get better and learn all the gases there are and metals and rod types and different kinds of welding, But ALSO take a fabrication class or two, it will help you alot, especially when applying it to frame building and stuff.. seriously. It's worth the time and fun too. Then you'll meet some friends to help you build your stuff.. Yeah.. can you tell.. thats what i did.. except for the friends part. I dont play well with others. j/k
    I went out and bought the miller dvi II, great welder.. the 110 century welder i was using before would burn 1/8 on flux all day long, not a hair thicker. Now I use it for a cup holder since i got the miller.
    Good Luck
    -Anthony

30. Shakey Jakey

Shakey Jakey

Wire speed makes a HUGE difference.