Register now to get rid of these ads!

1929 License Plates- Harder to find?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dreddybear, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

A friend and I were talking today and he informed me that when it came time, finding a set of '29 Texas Plates for my A was going to be near impossible, and very expensive. Sure enough, after lookin around, he was right! The best guess I could venture was that in some of the more sparsely populated areas of the country (Texas), people just didn't register their cars. Maybe because of the depression? Am I on the right course here? I'm interested to know why that year plate is generally harder to find...

2. Uptown83

Uptown83

I dont agree with you. My dad collects NM plates and there was a lot less people in NM than TX at that time. A NM 29 plate isnt that hard to find and isnt that expensive. Ive also heard that a lot of the states are not that desirable to collectors because they are mostly similar and the same color. NM on the other hand changed a lot on size and color about every 2 years making it a more desirable plate. I think Texas plates back than were just a semi dark yellow. ( What I'm getting at is I don't think Texas plates are very sought after and should only cost you $30+/- bucks. )

3. Harris

Harris

I found one at a show in corpus last month - $1,100 for the set of faded plates!

Prices are nuts right now.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just checked eBay, none listed but there was a front plate that did sell recently fot about $12.00. Odd thing to me is that the plates were stamped FRONT and REAR, wonder if that was to stop running two cars with one set of plates.

5. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

That's how Texas plates are or were.
    I have found quite a few good usable/clear matching Texas plates here in CA.
    I'll let ya know, if I see some, Dreddybear.

6. I hear ya.
    I'm running MD 60 plates on the 60 and MD 62 plates on the 62.
    Hardest part was finding a matched set in good condition.
    Even though there were quite a few a lot of people didn't hold on to them and most of the cars in our area that old have been crushed.
    Took me 2 years to find a set of 62 plates, from a collector in VA, and a year to find the 60 plates.
    I was sniped twice on ebay, by plate collectors, willing to pay a lot more than I was.

7. I found a matched pair of restorable Texas 1938 plates at the Swap meet in Fort worth. Swap meets as opposed to ebay might be a better place to look.

8. old beet

old beet

Lucky, in Washington, we only need one!

9. RichardW

RichardW

I have heard from the restorers the same thing, that '29 Texas plates are expensive when you find them. I have heard why but can't remember. And the "Front" and "Rear" plates were to keep from registering only one car and using one plate one each. (Or more likely the truck)

10. svo

svo

I made a post back in december looking for a set of texas 29 plates.

I am still looking!! The very few sets that I did come across were in the 1k plus range.

I keep holding out and hoping to come across some at a decent price someday.

If I am paying 1k for plates, I will be welding those fockers on. hah

11. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Texas 1929 are the KING of all license plates

12. As far back as 1982 the Texas 1929 plates were hard to find.My friend Joe found a 1929 Texas dealer plate for his 29 truck.

13. Rathbone

Rathbone

I would think any pre-war plate would be hard to find considering the scrap metal drives they had during the '40's.

P.S. any Florida 1931 plates out there?

14. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

I'll give you $30 for every pair you can send me. And I'll pay shipping!

15. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Do some homework dude. If you find some for 30 bucks let me know, Ill give you 40 for 'em.

16. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

good 29 plates from michigan are hard to find also

17. buzzard

buzzard
    Alliance Member

Step back, Fordie. I already have dibs on the post above yours.

The cheapest I remember seeing a pair was $400, and that was 7-8 years ago. I've kept a lookout for '29 pairs ever since Beatnik got his roadster and haven't had any luck yet.

turboroadster likes this.
  18. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

I have a set of restored front and rear 1929 Texas plates Call Bru ce 281-744-3201

19. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Fordie. Heheh.

I saw a pair that auctioned recently for $430. Most seem to be in the 800-1000 range. Crazy! I may just have to build a '28 Model A:rolleyes:...but even though those plates are near half the price it seems '28s are several hundred dollars a pair...

20. Fenders

Fenders

1928 - 29 - 30 had FRONT and REAR

21. Fenders

Fenders

The 29 TX plates were orange numbers on black background. A great book for license plates is the one by James K. Fox, published by Interstate Directory Publishing.

22. 5window

5window

For $1000, you could set up a die and press and make your own:)

clem likes this.
  23. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

SHHHHHHH.....;)

clem likes this.
  24. 49anglia

49anglia

Sorry for being ignorant, but why do you want them? Just to collect or can you use them on your car?

Ive no idea how the US registration system works.

If i dont ask, ill never know:)

25. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Yeah I want to register them to my car....

26. In many states, including TX, if you can find plates that match the year of your car, you can register and use them legally.

27. 49anglia

49anglia

So that plate becomes your cars registration number?

Thats cool, so the car doesnt have one number all its life.

If you get a reg plate from say 1929, could someone already have the same number but from say 1932 and therefore you cant use your 1929 plate?

Over here the actual plate means nothing, its just the paperwork that counts.

28. 5window

5window

I somehow thought your plate number went with the registration? My friend tried to buy us used plates in London and found only plate registrations being offered in the paper,the cheapest was 80 pounds and some ideal numbers were in the 1000'S??

29. 49anglia

49anglia

Yeah, thats true, but you can buy the physical plates from old cars.

I can take the plates of my 49 and sell them to you, you wont be able to do anything with them though, i'd have to sell you the registration number.

That would mean taking the reg of my car (on paper) and my car would get another reg.

To take the nuber off a car the car needs to be legal and MOT'd, it then needs a new number.

Or do you have to do similar and im getting confused?

If the 1929 car was scrapped in 1956 but the owner still had the plates for whatever reason, can you use those plates and register that number to your car?

Is there a chance someone else might already have that number already?

Sorry, this is getting a bit in depth.