Register now to get rid of these ads!

teflon tape vs. gasoline question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tred, May 12, 2008.

1. tred

tred

is teflon tape rated for contact with gasoline or will it fall apart over time?

i want to make a sight gauge for an aluminum gas tank and don't know what to seal the threaded fittings with.

is there some sort of brush-on sealant i should use instead of the tape?

thank you.
    tred

2. brewsir

brewsir

no...it deteriorates..just drop a piece in a little fuel and watch what happens to it..it turns to goo. They make a teflon tape for gas lines (natural gas in your home) that comes in a yellow roll instead of blue...I'm not sure how it holds up to gas but it's what I use.

3. I use a teflon paste that comes in a tube from the hardware store plumbing dept, works on everything and is easy to clean off excess. I recently had a leak on an original model "A" flared fuel line that runs from the tank to the firewall and just a light smear of the stuff on the flare. stopped the leak.
    Teflon tape sometimes is cut by the tightening of the threads and can be passed into the system. especially if used at the carburetor fittings.

4. V4

V4

Find some Teflon paste pipe dope at the hardware store. It usually has a little brush under the cap. Read the bottle, it should say its rated for gasoline as well as other stuff.

Model T1 likes this.

5. The small tubes are cheaper. Just make sure it says that it works with gas!

6. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

There is teflon tape rated for gasoline....it'll say right on the roll. The roll may be yellow like these.

Attached Files:

7. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

I like the paste in a wet application. It flows and seals better from my experience.

8. I have used paste with moderate sucess on aluminum to aluminum NPT fittings. I tried as an experiment using Anerobic sealant, kickass. No seapage anywhere.

9. toddc

toddc

Teflon tape is a bit of a misnomer. Most so called "teflon" tapes have little to no teflon content. Proper teflon is resistant to nearly any chemical that is in general circulation.

The "teflon" tape that is supplied with Chinese air tools, however, appears to be made from polyethylene shopping bags:eek:

tomkelly88, Andamo and pat59 like this.
  10. That stuff aint for gasoline!

It is for natural gas piping connections....

verde742 likes this.
  11. Loctite has a teflon bearing paste called PSP that is great on all threaded connections...(permatex and others make similar stuff)

permatex aviation gasket sealant will do the job well.

so will loctite medium threadlocker (blue)

teflon tape sucks....and moves away from threads when tightening fittings...pretty near useless stuff....

everyone is using teflon bearing paste nowadays...

gas pumper likes this.
  12. BigChief

BigChief

55willys and racingonerobb like this.
  13. bryan6902

bryan6902

Plastic shopping bags will work in a pinch, if you don't have any other options.

14. vettes2

vettes2
    from OKC, OK

Loctite # 565 Thread Sealant is what you need. "Suitable for exhaust systems, air conditioning fittings, fuel lines, water coolant systems and brake
    systems" This is industrial grade Pipe Sealant with Teflon. Item number 56521 comes in a 1.69 fluid oz tube. I have used this on my Three 2 barrel carb setups for 2 different builds over 15 years and never a leak. This is a thick white semi paste like stuff.

Model T1 likes this.
  15. oldsman71

oldsman71

never herd that befor

16. oldsman71

oldsman71

17. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Ya wanna throw down a $20 bet on that holmes???
    I've got a roll of it in my toolbox.....and it says FOR GASOLINE right the fuck on it.:D
    I used it for the 4 97's on my car.....

56shoebox likes this.
  18. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Hmmm i've never had a problem, mabey i'm just lucky

19. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

JB weld works awesome.

As long as you don't plan on taking it apart.

belair likes this.
  20. Toqwik

Toqwik

I read on the spectre glass fuel filters and fuel pressure regulator packages it says to seal all threads with teflon tape.

21. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

Hey guys, I'm a journeyman steamfitter. I would never use "teflon" tape on any natural gas, or gasoline lines. Like it was said in another response, little bits of the tape can dislodge from the fitting and end up in the tiny orrifices in natural gas valves, or carbs. I know people have used it in the past without problems, but it's not a good practice. If for some reason you can't use a correct paste and have to use teflon tape, start the tape two or three threads up from the end of the fitting, leaving less of a chance of contamination. Plus it looks cleaner when you wipe off the excess paste.

22. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Rector Seal. Available at most hardware stores.

23. beamishstout

beamishstout
    from vail, az

I've had luck with some stuff plumbers and hvac guys use. It's called rector seal. Easy to clean up and doesnt wrap around your fingers every time you try to wrap threads.

24. for tough to seal fittings use a little of both

25. Gas is a slang term for gasoline which is not a gas but a fluid.
    Gasses are such things as propane, butane, methane, carbon dioxide, hydrogen, helium, nitrogen, nitrous oxide, argon and oxygen. Gasoline has a higher molecular weight making it a fluid instead of a gas.
    In the end, it all depends on what the manufacturer meant when they wrote gas.

26. racerlall

racerlall
    from WA

permatex #2 thread sealant the non Harding its sorta green. I think permatex is pate of lock tight now ?

27. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Seven year old thread...Permatex/locktight/Henkel.....I have never seen instructions that say to use a specific Teflon tape for sealing when gasoline is involved..I have just started seeing on TV [them guys know everything, right?] to use a paste sealant along with the teflon, wtf? Supposed to be needed to keep threads from galling?

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Old thread to be sure, but it needs correct information. Proper thread sealant for gasoline is Gasoila thread sealant compound.
    http://www.gasoila.com/

29. Funny
    I was getting ready to respond and I see I did .....7 years ago lol

30. Well, someday when your vehicle stops running and you tear into it and find little pieces of Teflon tape plugging up a jet. The stuff can and will shear off if you are not real carful