Register now to get rid of these ads!

Damned if You Do, Damned If You Dont...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRodToomer, Apr 28, 2008.

1. fat141

fat141

Anybody not happy with mine can buy it from me for 40 grand and make it however they like

2. PoPo

PoPo

those people are going to hate my Gen III 5.3L in my 49 then. If you dont like it, then eat shit. I was planning on going to a specific car show this year, but have since changed my mind due to the fact that I'd have to leave my hood shut because I put a "NEW" style motor in it.

Instead of hurrying up and fnishing before the show I decided to take my time, finish other things and then get the truck running RIGHT. Good luck and I really like your ride man. Keep it whatever way you can as long as YOU can drive it.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The first thing that I ask them is what did YOU drive to the show today? When they answer... a Toyota P/U, I just turn and walk away. You'll find that most of them either have a pile of parts in the shed or nothing at all but a picture that they down loaded off the HAMB.

As you grow older you'll soon realize that the people that talk down to you about your ride are not the people you really want to talk to. Don't waste your time with them. There are too many good people in the world to worry about what the ass holes think.

4. Sergeant_at_Arms

Sergeant_at_Arms
    from Tampa, FL

Listen I know I'll get some flack for saying this but, f*ck it. Build it the way you want and can also afford. Thats whats great about hotrodding, if everyone had the same outlook and style, I dont think i would be involved in it and judging by some builds I've seen, some people shouldnt. Just dont even try to pass a traditional rod if you cant keep it in the "scope". Just build yourself a "hot rod" or custom. I do agree with them that there is a limit that most "gold chainers" exceed in great excess. Do you really think the traditional guys would be so anti-disk, yadda yadda if you had a 63 Avanti, 49 Hotshot, or a 65 Stingray? I think not.

5. ya cant see disks be hind wheels and under fenders and the same goes for a late sbc under a closed hood

6. nexxussian

nexxussian

1 Build it the way you want it.

2 Do what you can with what you have.

3 Provide the haters with some rope to piss up.

I am on a budget as well, I have lots of things on the projects I'm working on that I would like to change. As a fer instance my A has the stock seats still, just put 3800 ish miles on her, in 2 weeks, for the price of a nice set of aftermarket cushy seats, we could have paid for the gas for the trip, almost twice (even at todays prices), so lets see, trip or seats, hmm, duh!

By all means if they want to fund the mod they are describing, other than that, too bad, for them.

Oh +1 on the people that bitch the most don't seem to have a rod or custom anyway.

7. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

in my experience the people who talk (and bitch about) other people's cars the most are the ones who don't have, and can't do, shit! do you REALY give a shit about the opinions of people like that??? i sure don't.

8. well KID
    SEEMS EVERY BODY IS OLDER THAN YOU...
    so what is happening your still listening to your elders but aren't really liking what they say ...all part of growing up..
    i mean this in the way a grampa can only say to a grandson ..:)
    THATS LIFE DEAL WITH IT ..

AND AS FAR AS CARS ,GIRLS ,THE WAY YOU DRESS..
    BEING CRITICAL IS EASY ...
    ACCEPTING IT IS NOT.

O BY THE WAY I AM OVER 50 AND STILL NOT MAKING ANY BODY HAPPY BUT ME...I AM THE ONE THAT I HAS TO BE IN MY HEAD/SHOES 24/7

9. dont let the haters spoil your fun or enthusiasm for saving the old cars.

10. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

What you mean I have to yank the 300 six, disc brakes, and the AC out of my 54F100 custom I'm building.

Oh shit they never customized F100 trucks in the day.

Ya mean I'm going to have to sell my 54 and buy a 49 merc to be traditional, that a hellva thing to do to a 59 year old man.

Enjoy what have and let the wannabes be just that, wannabes, And the goldchaines when the fad is gone they go too.
    True gearheads just keep going on.

jim h

11. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

I build my cars the way I like them. My nomad has center bolt s.b., disc brakes, 605 box, 350 trans. Build your car the way you like and the hell with traditional assholes. Your car looks great have fun!!!

12. bigdreamsnobux

bigdreamsnobux

Most people forget that the real benefit of checking out someone else's ride is to see what they did, how they did it, and like art, stare at it if it appeals to them.

Any of the people I know of who built a car to appeal to other people, never really enjoyed the hobby in the end. That is where over inflated prices for this stuff came from, guys/gals who wanted to brag of having 'it' than not having 'it', rather than just participate and enjoy.

Good for you, you at least have a car, are working on it, and in the end you will have the most valuable thing one can have from the hobby, the satisfaction of having toiled and created your car yourself, in any state, just the way you want it.

Ya don't need anything 'period perfect' to get that feeling!!!

13. You are lucky. I am 67 years old and I just got my dream car back in Feb. Oh yeah, back when I was your age I had a 55 Chevy. Hell there was nothing special about that back then. All of us old dudes have gotten rid of cars we'd kill for now. It has taken me all of my life to get where you are now so be grateful and piss on all of your peers that think you should have a turbo charged Civic or a WRX STI Subaru. And where do you live? Montana? Hell you don't even need A/C. Fix your ride up, pay as you go and in the end you'll be so damned proud of it you can't stand it. My son is 42 and has a bad assed 56 Chevy. He has been into this hot rod stuff since he was 16 years old and he's pissed every day because he didn't grow up in the '50's. He thinks I was lucky just as I think you are lucky .. Hang in there and be an old hot rodder at 18 ....

14. Saw a sign years ago at one of the early Syracuse Nationals that summed it all up. "It took me 10 years to build this car, but it only takes 10 minutes for some idiot to tear it apart."

15. atomickustom

atomickustom

We are all missing the point:
    The question here is not whether or not his car is okay or acceptable, the question here is where does ANYONE get the BALLS to tell ANYONE what is "wrong" with their car??

Unless I pay someone to look at my car, I don't expect them to tell me what they think of it, and I SURE AS H*LL don't care what they think is wrong with it!!!

Yes, it is more polite to nod and smile or give them some smart answer about not having the money to do it, but the only truly appropriate response is "F**k You, I did not ask for your opinion!" (If you still want to be polite, then try something like "Oh, I'm sorry, you must be confused - I did not ask you what parts you don't like on my car." But I still like the first option better.

There is no correct response to an opinion that is offered to a stranger without being asked for it! (Other than "Shove your opinion really far up your trans tunnel!")

16. All I can say is listen to everybody on here,they are all right about the issue at hand and fuck the ass holes that talk down about your car,if they want to see it in a different way tell 'em to give you the $$$ to build in a different way.

17. retarded

retarded
    BANNED

this isn't antiques roadshow.

18. Nothing wrong with safe and dependable !!! Most of the "Hardcore" tradational guys also have a new car to drive everyday and have the cash to make the old one as trad as possible. Keep doing what your doing and most important, HAVE FUN !!!

19. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

im glad to see im not alone in my thinking.
    im gonna make sure this thing gets done right, the way i see it now, the new parts are just increasing its longjevity as my cruiser.

20. 41woodie

41woodie

Get a tatoo and put bias tires on it, that should quiet them for a couple of months.

21. novadude

novadude

This is spot-on.

Some "traditional" guys are just as bad as the Chevelle and Vette guys that will spend hours ripping people apart about what is, or isn't "correct". I admire the dedication it takes to restore a 100% original Corvette, or to create a 100% period-perfect traditional rod. I just don't have the deep pockets or the desire to do this with my car. I like the safety of radials, disc brakes, and other non-traditional items (just as long as they do not wreck the look and nostalgic "feel" of the car - AKA billet crap and 20" wheels.) ;)

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

22. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

your damn right man, i should of said something about that line too.
    this car, is getting piece together like one twisted, tetnis-shot filled jig-saw puzzle, anything that doesnt need to be replace, will not be. im trying to make it look good and perform, when it came time to replace the ignition switch, i could of kept the aftermarket deal in place where the cig lighter was, but no, i went on the bay and found a original one still in the DELCO box, ran me $65.
    now yeah its not much, but i also need little dash pieces, and i need window cranks, and i need sockets and housings for the tail and headlights, yadda yadda yadda, not saying its not cool to have the new parts, i have an original back up light unit still in its green and black chevrolet box. but thats not the point, none of the original parts, as cool as they are, help both sides, money VS. fun.
    im gonna have both.

23. ^^That's the beauty of Hot Rods, you can do what ever you want to them!^^

They are the only way to show your individual creativity, style and taste and the only person you have to satisfy with your car is YOU!!

24. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

i believe in that. with my truck, i got no problems because of the look and parts of it, but the fact i had a powerful 454 and stock EVERYTHING else, i got a lot of shit for it. i loved to be able at a light to slam the pedal and make that front tire lift and slam like a bat outta hell. this time around, im gonna love to be able to drive to vegas, (always wanted to see) and then back to michigan and one: not bust my self up trying to keep it on the road and Two: relax and enjoy the ride while im doing it. later on will come the wheel lifting, gas prices according....:rolleyes:

25. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

people still dont get it i guess.
    i just sold the rims and tires that were on it for $300 plus a newer set of tires. my buddy had stock S-10 rims and tires and hated them, and he loved mine so he bought them and gave me the S-10s rims and tires to put on for now till he breaks them down and ill take the tires to put on my steelies. as im doing it a guy pulls over, in front of my own house, to tell me that they look like shit on there and when i tell them they are temporary, i hear him say, "fucking kids..." and he takes off. the concept is not to hard to understand. shit, on top of that, $300 and with the tires lets say $500+ and i get that payment for a set i didnt care if they got jacked.

26. Really piss them off, put some Olds Rocket valve covers on it.

But what the hell, it's a '58 Chevy, who can even see that stuff unless you show them? It's not like IFS on a fenderless Model A, which doesn't look right no matter how nice it's done.

You can see that same shit on this board sometimes, find the post titled something like "Why I didn't trade my roadster" or something like that. His car has IFS and isn't "traditional" enough, but it runs and drives and he has fun with it. Which I thought was traditionally the point of having a hot rod in the first place.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I think there's a few billion people on this planet. That's a whole lot of people to please, so I say, start with yourself.

28. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

heres a lil updated on the things mentioned. got the clutch fan, power steering pump and tilt coloum mounted, i kinda like how everything is comming together.
    NEW WHEELS LOOK TIGHT DONT THEY!
    HaHa.
    [​IMG]
    Then there is the engine.
    [​IMG]
    and the wheel & tilt
    [​IMG]
    My two bastadrs sure take my time, but i cant think of another way to piss the people off who wish they had what i do. (What i cant figure out still is why they want my pieces of shit)
    [​IMG]

29. Keep saving for wheels, keep the hood shut, and have a blast. Most 18 year olds drive shit box Hondas with coffee can mufflers. Thumbs up.

30. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

i have 15" camaro rallys for it, they need to be painted and the tires on the S10 rims are going on them. i only like one honda, the 1986 Toyota Corolla GTS (AE86), other then that, they are target practice.
    i was raised on domestic old iron. i had a perfectly good 95' grand prix and i offed it for the monte. people dont like the rimson the monte either, 4" wide fronts and 10" wide rears are not cool on cars reserved for DONKS i guess.