Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rodder's Digest Magazine question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shadetreerodder, Jan 21, 2008.

1. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

Does anyone know what is going on with Rodder's Digest? I never received my December 2007 issue. I also can't get an email or phone reply from the publisher. Anybody else having a problem? Thanks!

2. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

I called them, as they don't seem to have a "Customer Service" website link. I subscribe to American Rodder also. Both are by-monthly mags. When I got through, and started to say I was missing some issues, she broke in with.......we didn't publish a November AR, nor a Dec RD, so we just extended every subscription. Some notification would be nice! I got a Jan AR in Dec 26.....we'll see about RD.

3. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I have been having problems with them since I moved, if it keeps up I am going to let my subscription lapse and spend the money on something else. They are expensive compared to the others.

4. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

I'll probably decide not to send in a renewal check and just ignore them, too.

5. ...been having problems with them both also, thinkin bout lettin em both go and just pick em up when they do a good issue. They ain't as good as they use to be.

6. seldom scene

seldom scene

So that explains it, I didn't think the mailman kept them. I recently renewed my subscription to both of the, she didn't say anything to me about missing issues.

7. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

Hey guys I finally got fed up enough to send an email to Garry McWhirter and he said they were resizing American Rodder and had a production change to Rodder Digest. Said Feb 08 issue was printed a couple of days ago and should arrive soon. I bought a copy of resized American Rodder yesterday.

8. 41woodie

41woodie

I hate it when magazines that I enjoy start this nonsense. Too much of a reminder of the old days when R&C got screwed around. Usually means the beginning of the end and unfortunately even when the company is fairly healthy the word gets around that there is a problem and people start dropping subscriptions. I'm not a publisher but it seems like a really stupid decision that I've never seen work out well.

9. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

Well, like I told you all Jan 21, I got the Jan issue on Dec 26, I got the Sep issue of American Rodder on Jul 5..........the didn't publish a Nov issue..........and I haven't seen a Mar issue yet. One issue in 8 months isn't too good. Too bad I renewed about a year ago. Rodder's digest is about the same. My subscription to Street Rod Builder is coming due in a few months........I think I'll return the same kind of service.

10. The worst thing is to think back on Rodders Digest's roots....SAD.

11. Black Primer

Black Primer

I kinda figured I'd get my RD this month, nothing yet. One mag. since last October just don't make it.

12. phat rat

phat rat

Very true. I gave up on the new one 2 years ago at least. It's not even a shadow of it's former self in my opinion

13. Harris

Harris

No comment on their subscriptions, but I ordered some of their clothing when they went on sale. Everything went smoothly, until my jacket arrived - and I found it not to be the one I ordered, but a $25 dollar cheaper one. I called and they said oops, our bad we'll send the correct one to you as soon as we get the other one back.

WTF?? I'm supposed to pay to ship back their mistake? This is what kept me from subscribing. If their service is this crappy on a one time order, how would I be treated on a quarterly basis?

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

What is up with all the magazines...it seems there is a universal trouble.

15. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

Funny how they don't seem to have a customer service section on their website........I did post a question on their Street Rod Builder website asking about American Rodder and Rodder's Digest on March 20, but they haven't responded to me yet.

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

17. atomickustom

atomickustom

Since some of you seem to have subscribed for a while, I'll float this question out there: a couple years ago American Rodder (I think) had an article about a '49-52 Olds fastback that was sectioned and chopped. There was a big profile shot of the car after the chop and before paint. Any of you have that issue? I'd really like to either buy the issue, or get a scan of that photo.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

RODDERS DIGEST died when it got sold to the biker guys. they brought back the name but it really was never the same. then gerry burger left. should have just cancelled the whole thing and gave everybody thier money back.

19. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

i've had an issue with everything from buckaroo publishing for awhile now - subscribe to american rodder, rodders digest and street rod builder every year at nats east - AR and RD always come 2-3 weeks after they go on the newsstand, and SRB never comes at all - i complained about SRb at last years nats east and they gave me a free year, that still has never come! i'm done with these guys - john dianna, is this any way to run a company?

20. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

Berger is still around.........he does the editorial in SRB

21. thewildturkey46

thewildturkey46
    from Rice, MN

I just renewed AR and RD first of this month..............I have AR Jan 08 and RD dated Feb 08 SRB is dated apr 08...............they said the subs were due to run out May and June, so they are still taking money!! Guess I will see what happens. Money is sent, too late now to switch.

22. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

Well, still nothing...........no reply to my e-mail to Street Rod Builder on March 20, only one issue of American Rodder in 9 months, only one issue of Rodder's Digest in 7 months, and I haven't received an issue of Street Rod Builder in over a month.........ain't lookin' too good!

23. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

This is why I like the HAMB

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Except YOU will HAVE to buy at least one issue later on this summer......I'll let you know which one.:D

25. woodguy@woodieworks.net

[email protected]

we will be watching.. the famous car of RD..

26. FWIW, I haven't seen either on the stands in a while. I should check in Borders more often, though - the people stocking them at the grocery store I usually buy mags at, do a shitty job, and have for a while. I keep going to Wal-mart to buy R&C.

Which, Wal-mart is a whole other can of worms, but at least they discount the magazines by like 10%, and I can usually find what I want there.

American Rodder I always liked, and when they went to the larger format it was nice, but it got harder and harder to find - I think people didn't want to stock it just because it didn't fit on the shelf right, and being bigger was more likely to get damaged before they could even put it out.

RD I used to buy once in a while, but there was only about one store around here that carried it. I think the last one I got was the first new one, telling how they brought the title back, and I said to myself, didn't even know they stopped publishing it in the first place!

In addition to eBay killing swap meets, I think the internet has really cut into the magazine business, though. I mean how many magazines do you need each month when I can come on a site like this for free and get tech articles, see people's cars, and BS with people? Classifieds, too.

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

The photos for the feature are being shot on May 2nd. I'm so excited I can't hardly stand it. I'm so hoping for a nice, warm, cloudless late afternnon. I'll keep the HAMB masses informed as I know when it will be out.:D

28. The "original" running of 'Rodders-Digest' & Tex Smiths 'Hotrod Mechanix' were real Rodding Mags that are gone and I'll miss.

Cooter

29. woodguy@woodieworks.net

[email protected]

Denise.. I am Betting Cover of RD for sure...Big time...your car is awesome

I been blessed with two covers from RD and many features ( I love the RD crew and the mag )..and one was the last before RD folded and bought up by the buck..

[​IMG]
    two of the wood things..on one cover

[​IMG]
    maybe the first flat finshed car ever to make it on a mag cover some 14 years ago.. RD was way ahead of its time

wood..

30. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

[ This is why I like the HAMB[/quote]

Well I hate to mention this but I think the HAMB and sites like this are part of the magazines problems! I really like the HAMB and other sites like this,that are giving the mags a run for thier money. They can,t compete with what is in essence an 'online' magazine, and a 2 way running encyclopedia on hot rodding. With out costs of subscription, and or advertising we get information instantly, actually its the effect of the computer age. The PC is like the invention of the wheel in communications. Look at how many mags have been sold and resold as the industry is shaking out. Frieberger decided it was time to take his retirement and editors are changing all over the place, The mags have great pix and cover the scene but if you dont cover the do-it- yerself scene you wont make it. [look at the home grown articles in the HAMB] Buckaroo, had knockout photography, made the others sit up and take notice but i think they have slipped latelyI In reality dont need a mag. just my 2 cents