Register now to get rid of these ads!

wear your eye protection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bloodyjack, Mar 27, 2008.

1. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

So i was useing my angle grinder and got a spark in my eye. There was a molten lump of steel melted into my eyeball for 3 days. I tried useing a rare earth magnet to pull it out but it was stuck there. So I went to ER the doctor pulled it out but the worse part was after removing the small blob of steel he got a doctors version of a dremel tool and machined out the rust ring that had formed in my eyball.
    I went right out and purchased some eye protectors

2. crackernutz

crackernutz
    from tx

pics or it never happened

3. Rolf

Rolf

Been there, done that…

Seeing that dremel toll approaching your eye ball is NOT a good feeling.

Yes, wear protection every time you do it.

4. KY Boy

KY Boy

it only takes once. You were lucky. Some guys first accident leaves them with a glass eye...I have a good friend that lost an eye to a grinder. Glad it worked out for you.

5. kopis

kopis

6. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

your sick.................LOL

7. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Ok there ya go. You can see I chewed my finger on a flap disk too. I wear my welding gloves as well while grinding now. Oh and the redness is from Arc eye I am such a moron.

[​IMG]

8. 2-TONED

2-TONED

been there!
    THE WORST PART OF THIS PROCESS is all you can do is lay there & ""watch"" the doctor work on your eye! :eek: ooooooh man!

now you have scare tissue on your eye. NO laser surgery for you in the future! or me! or anyone else.

9. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

ive had my share of things in my eyes but i can usually get them out (not really recommended but it works for me) but there was this one time i had a piece of scotch brite in my eye i couldn't get out. the ER doctor never heard so much whining in his life!!! that had to be the biggest needle i have ever seen and thats what he used to dig it out with. bad enough my eyeball felt like the size of a softball with all the deadening stuff they put on it, then he used the drill bit thingy to ream it out real good. the bad part of it was i had eye protection on when i did it. it me in the forehead and bounced around my face shield and safety glasses and stopped in my eye.

10. 2-TONED

2-TONED

they held your eye open & you got to watch a BIG needle coming at your eye! :D you can hear the doc picking away. IT SUCKS MAN! I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. banditomerc

banditomerc

HARD LESSON LEARNED !!!!! here is a heads up to all you backyard welders(most of us),the intense light when using your welder will penetrate your eyelids and subsequently damage your eyes,don't do it `cause you saw "CHIP" on t.v. do it! use common sense when out in the shop and wear necessary eye protection.:eek:

12. kopis

kopis

Damn, well at least we can all learn from our experiences and remember to wear the proper gear while working.

13. kustombypook

kustombypook

I always wear protection when welding and working with my grinder

Attached Files:

14. Big Tony

Big Tony

Lay there and watch my ASS !!!!!! Better knock my ass out cold or I would be knocking someone the hell out..... Damn, that shit would hurt

15. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

I hate having people go any wear near my eye. One trip to the emergency room was enough for me. The annoying thing is I actually wear glasses to see, but I didn't have any side protection.

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

Not fun. I had glass pulled out of mine once.

17. REDDOG

REDDOG

i have always protected my eyes, but i should of also used ear plugs, im deff in both ears, i dont let my son even walk out in the shop with out both on, also, nice music there with the hot doddin romeo's

18. Halfton65

Halfton65

I work in construction equipment rental. Every once in a while you get a wash rack guy that doesn't want to wear safety glasses because they get all dirty and muddy.

Think about it...

19. 60Olds

60Olds

Yes always wear your eye protection. It only takes 1 time. 3 years ago this June I had a drill bit break and ruptured my eye globe then it buried it'self in the ritina Cost over $10,000 and doesn't work near as well as it did. But considering the Dr. didn't think I would even keep the eye I think I was very Lucky. Safety glasses don't mean your always going to be safe but more times than not they will save your ass.
    Don't let it be you always wear eye protection.

20. I've had 6 surgeries to repair problems with my eyes . I freak if there is dust in the air . Also don't forget EAR protection . Anything at 100 decibels does damage . Anything at 80 sustained does too . When was the last time you did anything quiet to metal ? This is cumulative and DOES NOT repair itself . Don't ask me how I know this .

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

What?

22. i work in a steel mill, they force us to wear safety equipment. after a while you get used to and fell naked without it. i always use glasses, face shields, gloves etc. when necessary. they will even give them to for home use!!

23. Finktim

Finktim

I have been in the "eye business" for almost 30 years now, so I have seen my fair share of eye injuries, both minor and complete destruction. A couple of bucks to protect your vision for the rest of your life goes a long way. Same goes for the respirator and ear protection. Not too long ago, my neighbor came staggering over to my house after doing a brake job. He had a spring break, which not only launched scrapnel into his eye but brake fluid on top of that. He had 2 pieces removed, one is still buried deep in his eye. (He has no insurance) He's was blue eyed, but now has a bad case of Malamute, since the rusting particle in his iris turned his one eye brown! I'd never seen that happen before. He's also lost about 30% of his vision in that eye. I'm teaching my son how to use tools, and slowly buying his own set, and safety has been a huge issue from the start. Keep those goggles and specs on guys. :cool:

24. HotRodToomer

HotRodToomer

Just yesterday i was grinding the wheelwell lip off my monte carlo to fit the 10" wide tires. the grinders wheel hooked and exploded, i got a decent size fragment to pop me right in the eyelid, i wear glasses so i thought id be ok, Shows me whats what.

25. gashog

gashog

My pop used to get stuff stuck in his eyes all the time back in the old days. Mom just used to stroke the ragged edge of a match from a pack of book matches over the shard. Been using that trick for years. It gets the little ones out out every time. That said, ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES!

26. face shields over safety glasses - I spent a trip to the eye doctor when shit went past the safety glasses - wear a shield too

that eye stuff is PAINFULL

27. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

I hope the Doc was wearing eye protection when he was drilling!!:D

28. rab71

rab71

I have done this exact thing even with eye protection. Also one time I got acid in my eye. THAT SUCKED... Cool thing though was I went to emrgency room and the nurse I had was smokin' hot! They stuck a suction cup thing on my eye and it had a hose connected to it and flushe my eye with saline solution for two hours. She was always checkin' on me to see if I needed anything... What I wanted and what I needed were two different things:D

29. I was using the wire wheel side of my stationary grinder yesterday when all of a sudden what bounced off of my plastic face shield? A bristle that had come loose.
    I have been always kind of a wuss about always needing eye protection. And this is why.

30. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Eye stuff ain't funny..
    Had chemicals sprayed in my eyes, then needed them "flushed" at the hospital. That sucks.

Always remember what Norm Abram says:
    "And remember, there is no more important safety tip than to wear this (points at glasses), your safety glasses"