Register now to get rid of these ads!

Huge dilemma on a trade I need your advise!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LEECOUNTYRODS, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Tulsa oldskool55

Tulsa oldskool55

I say keep the bike,if it loses anything it won't be much.And if ya want a Falcon there is one in my town for $300 if its not gone,I thought about it .That way you can build it your way. JMHO

2. Well, they're not a "fad" to those who actually ride for enjoyment, as opposed to those who ride to look cool. I personally would keep the bike. The car isn't worth what the bike is, and I don't feel it's a fair trade.

3. storm king

storm king

I LOVE bikes. I've been riding for almost 40 years. Choppers are for being seen upon, not for riding. I've owned a couple of them. They really do suck for any practical use, especially most all of the ones currently being built with their cartoon-ish proportions (and would someone tell me what is the deal with no decent passenger seat?). Momma or the girl friend would probably not mind going for rides in a car like the Falcon. The bike? I doubt it, not for long, anyway. That said, It would make more sense financially to dump the scooter before the market goes south (whiich it will at some point) and build a nice Falcon just the way you'd want it.
    Good luck!

4. If I saw that bike today, and saw it again next week, I wouldn't remember seeing it the first time. The Falcon....different story. As for equity of values...I really don't know.

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

like the falcon..always have liked them, Love my Harleys, always have!
    That style of bike is a bit tuff to put alot of miles on..(especially if yer up in your years)..give it up for a falcon? NOPE! never!
    Sell it to fund a more drivable alternative..in a heart beat..but than again I would probably never sell my primary 2 wheel H.D. I will always have at least 1. but if it was my fall back bike, (second one) i would sell it to do the funding thing.

6. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I don't know much about Falcons except that you can get them cheaply almost any day. Crate motor and such to fill it up.

As for the bike, there's two ways to look at it. You have a one off bike from an unknown builder. It's NOT a Harley and HD's are the only bikes that hold their value. If you don't believe that, go price Victory's, American Dreams or any of the other put together bikes (put together from various parts and pieces). Your bike is only worth what someone will pay for it but a new HD motor and Rev tech tranny is only 8-9K and yours is used requiring about $1000 to get it street legal. It is a nice bike, but the market is not great for non RUB desired bikes.

Hence, whatever you like the most and give you the most pleasure should be the one you choose. Neither is an investment, nor a daily. They are both toys so whichever one you'll "play" with more should be your choice.

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I would have kept the bike because the dollar for dollar does not make cents!!

8. 38zephyr

38zephyr

You figured it out yourself , sell the bike for as much as you can and buy or build a car you really want . I don't like that bike , but it's worth a lot more than that car .

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Geez, whatever man, do you pick out your clothes by getting advice on the internet too.

That bike is generic.

10. flathead31coupe

flathead31coupe
    from indpls, in

i like them both:), sorry iam no help...

11. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

Thanks guys this does help alot. I am just going to sell the bike and find a rod...

12. LEECOUNTYRODS

LEECOUNTYRODS
    from Dixon, IL

Nads, this isn't the internet this is the HAMB where I only respect the opinions from people on this sight. I would even get my advice on clothes from everyone on here.

13. The bike is ghey and although its built by a shop you like, it still looks like one of a million out there. There are tons of them.
    Where I'm going with this...
    How many falcons you see out there?.

14. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

like you have decided ,sell the bike. you like tinkering, building, buy the basic body you like and build. plenty of parts, and your way. as has been said 5/6 k falcon.

15. That's the smart thing to do. HRP

16. Gigantor

Gigantor

I'd take the car in a New York minute.

17. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Seems to me those bikes (which I like) may be a passing fad. Sell the bike for top $$$ and pay cash for a Falcon (or that particular Falcon). You'll have more $$$ in pocket when all's said and done.

18. belair

belair

I think you made the right choice. Neither vehicle is very practical, and that Falcon is ugly. Trends come and go, as is evidenced by the 2 vehicles here-bikes are cooling off, gassers are making a comebck. But what are you going to do when the mop flops and vans with murals on them come back in style? Build a clean, traditional rod/cruiser and you will never be disappointed. Did I say that Falcon was ugly? I'm sorry, I meant a hacked up piece of...

19. RacerRick

RacerRick

Sell the bike, buy a similar falcon, and still pocket at least 5K.

20. drflex

drflex

if I owned that falcon i'd want to trade with you also.

21. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

LOL As if there are NOT a million 32 Fords out there also? What is yer point? Because choppers are plentiful, they aren't cool? That looks to be a damn nice bike.

C'mon mang, that was "ghey" answer.

22. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

remove the motor and trans from the bike and trade the remains for the Falcon. I'd still say you are trading down, but what the heck.

put the motor in a nice old style rigid frame with ape hangers and a sportster tank, solo seat and a P pad. then go trolling for loose wimmen.

23. ray-jay

ray-jay
    from Buford GA

The workmanship on the Falcon looks pretty podunk [ the wiring on the firewall, the battery hold down, stock steering wheel, etc]. It has been my experience that you have to go through the thing from one end to the other to straighten out all the mess. Every subsystem you tackle ends up being messed up. Easier and more satisfying to buy a car and do it to your own standards.

There have been a lot of cheap Falcons on craigslist recently.

24. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Falcon = room for babes and beer

25. everything runs in cycles the RUBS are trying to sell their bikes and into the new trend hot rods.You have the right idea but it's getting harder to sell a bike and bikers are keeping an eye out for bargains

26. JHhj0978

JHhj0978
    from Youngstown

Falcon definitly...bikes are cool but i loveee gassers...you will have a lot more fun with a gasser then a chopper...get the falcon and go to car shows and have some fun with it and drive the hell out of it...remember you can always invite a friend or 2...and ofcourse take it to the track every once and awhile

27. I don't see the advantage in the Falcon. It's the wrong body style, I don't like the white axle, nor the rear quarters, I don't think that the Falcon is worth more then 5K. Sell the bike and build a Gasser. But that's just my opinion, and you know what those are like...... and some just plain stink.

28. And think of this, chicks with big tits would rather ride on the back of a Harley then in an old Falcon, no matter what style it is.

29. The_DropOut

The_DropOut

The photos don’t really help us out too much. but what I noticed is this; The Falcon has a synch strap holding the battery down, the front axel is spray painted white, the rear wheel opening looks odd to me, the steering wheel looks iffy, fuel filter looks pretty brown, wires hanging all over the fire wall, flat black paint, nice looking buckets and diamond tuck door panels, it's got a tame looking Chevy mill (which does not impress some of us). We don’t get to see the condition of the sub frame, or the floor boards, exhaust system, rear end or much else. If the dude doesn’t have receipts to back up all the internal motor hop-ups I'd back away from this thing.

The bike looks complete and finished. It is a modern classic shape.

I think the falcon is SO-SO, and the value and novelty of the bike is beginning to slump. If you're hot into Falcons with Chevy motors, do the swap otherwise sell your bike and buy something which YOU think is cool and fun.

30. I did some looking on eBay - and I believe you can get a MUCH better Falcon than the one you're looking at for $6000 - 8000. There is one with a brand new motor, 9 inch rear and lots of goodies that is currently only at $4200. (Kind of a pro-street setup - but that can be changed).

The falcon you showed looks like lots of problems to me -- and there isn't much that speaks "quality" or good design to me. Sell the bike, take your money and buy a high-qualify car and start with something that is a whole lot better.

Also, I'm sure having a "ford engine in a ford" will be better in this case -- don't kill me guys . . . normally I'm not bias :D.

You'll end up with a much nicer car . . . it will be more complete and you'll know what the heck is in it. If you want to make it a "gasser style" car - that isn't a big deal . . . just design and setup the suspension in that way and you'll get the look/sytle you want. Straight axles are not expensive - and I bet a good setup will look a whole lot better than that mess. I'd have a 9" rear in it, a strong 5-speed tranny (if you want to shift) and an enigne that you know exactly what it is. Hell - buy a stroker Ford crate motor . . . you'll be on your way.

It is a bad deal -- your bike is worth at least twice what that car is . . . probably more.