Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boyd passed away this morning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R&C Lee, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. converseandbowlingshirts

converseandbowlingshirts
    from Eugene, OR

I remember when Boyd showed up vividly. It was a real turning point for hot-rods...the resto-rod had been dominant for quite a few years and the era of Boyd ushered in a modern style using updated mechanical systems (I still love to see a corvette or jaguar I.R.S. slung under a full fendered two-door!) and sporty interior fittings (recaro!) that re-invigorated the sport for guys who had grown tired of bumping around on solid axles and leaf springs for the previous 25 years. It was a much needed shot in the arm for a hobby that had grown stale and was loosing many of it's first practitioners.
    The high level of craftsmanship and fit and finish can still be seen on some of my favorite "retro" rods of today, a level of craftsmanship that was lacking in many, if not most, builds prior to the era that is synonymous with Mr. Coddington et al.

2. davidfe

davidfe
    from Illinois

Boyd's Cover Car - May 1973
    Here is an article of an older Cover Car. Enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. HOTROD30

HOTROD30
    from Marcy, NY

4. Good Wood

Good Wood
    from pa

Though JimA's post yesterday prepared us for the worst, today's news was very sad and leaves me with an empty feeling.

May he find eternal rest.

5. I see all these comments feeling the need to qualify them first with "not my style, but..." You think because of being here that that'll get you accepted more ? Why even say it ? People find things they don't like with everyone's car, no matter who built it. If we're talking about some of the other big names who get a lot of press, you're going to tell me their stuff is any different than what Boyd builds/built ? If you started building cars professionally, and people came to you with open checkbooks wanting things built to their liking, and you had to keep topping your last deal....you'd quickly find yourself building cars like he did. You can't keep building black highboy deuce roadsters with bias ply's, hubcaps and flatheads. I'm sure you'd say "sorry pal, I don't build slick, smoothed, clean, restyled cars with modern drivetrains, suspensions and wheels....you'll have to go find someone else". :rolleyes:

The points are, there's no way you can look at any of his cars and honestly say they aren't very badass with awesome workmanship, planning & attention to detail.

The guy was knowledgable, skilled, had a good eye.

But mainly, he absolutely loved cars, customs and hot rodded stuff & was about hot rods 24/7. Isn't that what's cool ?

This is really shocking & I really feel bad hearing this. He's one of those that it just seemed like he was going to be here for a long time more. My condolences to the family. :(

6. BeatUpFleetline

BeatUpFleetline

the man was very creative and innovative, i disagreed with some of his choices, but who can't say that about someone? he will be dearly missed

7. Hate to hear it... My favorite Boyd car was and always will be Cadzilla....

8. ratster

ratster

Boyd's Silver Bullet hot rod

[​IMG]

9. BeatUpFleetline

BeatUpFleetline

cadzilla! i'd forgotten about that beast, what a beutiful car.

10. '40PlyCoupe

'40PlyCoupe

He was a credit to the industry. I hope his family only remembers the good times with him....

Just make to not forget the most important things in life - your family.

R.I.P Boyd

11. bigdreamsnobux

bigdreamsnobux

R.I.P. Boyd, and thanks for inspiring so many throughout your time on this earth.

My condolences to all friends and family.

12. bradslowmodela

bradslowmodela

it was a privilage to meet the man....R.I.P. boyd.... i know the streets are lined with hotrods in heaven to day....

13. Another Car guy gone, RIP Boyd....

14. Todd Emmons

Todd Emmons
    from Phoenix

Hello everyone,

For those that are interested arrangements have been made. A wake will be held at Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, 900 W. La Habra Blvd, La Habra, California on Wednesday, March 5th at 9am. This will be followed by a reception at our shop, Boyd Coddington's Garage, 811 E. Lambert Rd., La Habra, California. Both of these are open to any who would like to attend. The idea of you all showing up with your hot rods brought a tear to my eye, Boyd wouldn't have it any other way. Thank you in advance, it means a lot to all of us.

Todd Emmons
    Boyd Coddington's Garage

15. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

I'm there Todd! Glad it does not conflict with the Indy Trade show.

16. PORKCHOP76

PORKCHOP76
    from iowa

R.I.P.... brother

17. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

This is sad news, very sad. May he rest in peace.
    -Anthony

18. JamesG

JamesG

It that Boyd and his first wife? If so whats with the last name. Sorry, I'm confussed.:confused:

19. JimA

JimA
    BANNED

Wrong Boyd.

20. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

My brother and I both idolized Boyd as kids. May he rest in peace.

21. palepainter

palepainter

RIP...I will miss the inspiration.

22. JamesG

JamesG

Thats what I thought.

23. Koolman

Koolman

RIP, He lived his passion.

24. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

25. i never thought boyd would die, as much as i dis liked his show and the style of cars they built he was a pioneer and one hell of a builder, and will be remembered in the ranks of builder royalty. this makes me some what sad. rest in peace and say hi to ed.

26. Todd Emmons

Todd Emmons
    from Phoenix

Someone requested that I post the shop address so that they may send flowers, as you all well know Boyd was passionate about children and the mentally disabled, so, maybe in lieu of flowers you might send donations to:

The Coddington Foundation
    811 E. Lambert Rd.
    La Habra, CA 90631

If you prefer to send flowers, those can be sent to:

Boyd Coddington's Garage
    811 E. Lambert Rd.
    La Habra, CA 90631

Guys, I can't tell you thank you enough. Your posts have been great therapy for me throughout the day and again, makes me proud to be a part of the hot rod community.

Todd Emmons
    Boyd Coddington's Garage

27. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

I'm sure everyone in the Hot Rodding world feels a great loss today.I know a lot of us were not really fond of some of Boyd's designs,He was a true leader of the cutting edge of Street Rodding.Boyd,may you Rest In Peace.To the rest of the Coddington family,our deepest sympathies and prayers go out to you.The Manna Family and the Road Trotters CC.

28. boxstr

boxstr

Sad that he went so young, RIP Boyd.
    Craig

29. seatex

seatex

what a bummer, whether you liked or disliked his show, you can't deny he was an innovator and good for our world. God speed and free gas, Boyd< R.I.P.

30. Like many others have said,not a huge fan myself but it is very sad that another big name in the customizing scene has passed away and that another person that helped paved the way for a lot of us is gone,hopefully we can catch up with him in hot rod heaven.
    God speed and prayers to the family.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.