Register now to get rid of these ads!

Boyd passed away this morning

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R&C Lee, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

another pioneer to the industry gone. to bad, my condolances to his family and friends.

2. It had better be cold or Baskerville will be looking for another gig:eek:

RIP, the J.R. Ewing of street rodding and yes I do say it with love. I'll miss him for the entertainment I got just watching everybody here gripe about what ever he had done now. I can't help wandering who will ascend the throne. J. James seems to get his share of bashing here some times but my money is on Foose. Whoever it is They got some big shoes to fill.

My prayer for his family and close friends is that they find peace in the fact that his suffering is over and they were lucky to be so close to such a distinguished man.

3. Sass

Sass

My heart goes out to his family, and friends. I know how hard it is to loose someone so close to you. He may not have had the greatest way of expressing himself, but he truly had a unique talent of designing a truly individual elegant High end dollar Hot Rod. Another Icon gone from this world, to join another.

xoxo

4. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Great visionary on hot rods etc. He will be greatly missed! Thanks, BOBBY FORD

5. 53burb

53burb

You have to respect a man that had a vision and went with it. If it wasn't him. it would have been someone else. R.I.P. Boyd.......KNUX!

6. Brandi

Brandi

Me too.

Sending out good vibes for the family, friends and his staff. It certainly is a shock.

7. Tetdoeuf

Tetdoeuf

I remember reading about him and seeing his cars in magazines growing up in France and hoping to some day see his cars up close and meet him in person. I am very happy I did see some of his cars and saw him in person (too shy to talk to him). He will always be an inspiration to me. RIP Boyd.

8. hiboyroadsterboy

hiboyroadsterboy
    from Mass

WOW,this is a huge shocker,and very sad news,my heart goes out to his family.

9. Nix66

Nix66
    from Detroit

R.I.P Boyd! another legend lost.

10. CLSSY56

CLSSY56

Amen to that. My prayers to his family, co-workers and friends. RIP Boyd...

11. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Sad news. Boyd leaves a great legacy with the number of excellent cars that came out of his shop, and the number of people he influenced with his style and execution.

12. greatbg

greatbg

To say he had an impact on the industry would be an understatement. I was not a big fan of Boyd, but it's still sad to hear. R.I.P.

13. 1951bomber

1951bomber
    from atwater Ca

14. hiway7

hiway7
    from Socal

15. Fiorano

Fiorano

RIP

pass the torch and lets hope the Billet world will go on.

no seriously it sucks to lose someone.

16. STICKMAN

STICKMAN

A slap in the face reminder that we're only here for about a minute - make the most out of each day.......... every day is a gift!!!

17. Zumo

Zumo

He made some awesome cars and contributed greatly to the automotive customization world. RIP Boyd.

18. Kramer

Kramer

I hated his show, but always watched it to see the cars. Hated the soap opera style they used. But you have to admire what he accomplished in his lifetime. Best wishes to his family and employees.

19. I would like to extend my deepest condolences to the Coddington family and the extended family at Hotrods by Boyd - those folks probably spent more time with him than most over the years.

Wow, what a huge blow to this hobby - Boyd was certainly an innovator and definitely molded the hot rod hobby throughout the last 30 or so years. Whether or not you liked his style you can't argue with his influence - many existing aftermarket product lines would not be here had he not inspired all of us to build cool cars and cool parts. I was highly influenced by him as a younger lad - his early 80's work including the Vern Luce coupe, Larry Murray's phaeton and Musselman's roadster are benchmarks in my opinion - I owe my love of one-off, hand fabbed sheetmetal to him as he was the one not only slicing and dicing these old bodies up but having new, "clean sheet" handmade bodies crafted to achieve results unlike anyone else at the time.

Boyd is another legend that I, unfortunately, never got a chance to meet.

Godspeed big guy.

20. Retrorod

Retrorod

I was on a "different page" than Boyd Coddington but we were still in the "same book". Godspeed pal.

21. WATKINS BOYZ

WATKINS BOYZ

22. autobilly

autobilly

Although his style didn't really appeal to me, he was a real car guy and an innovator. R.I.P.

23. black falcon

black falcon
    from arkansas

his style was his style...he brought a lot of joy to a lot of folks...God speed Boyd ,you will be missed..when the sky splits and the good Lord comes through in a boydster we will all smile.

24. Kopperhead

Kopperhead

25. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Holy shit! Sad to hear. Thoughts and prayers to his family...

26. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I met him at Goodguys in Scottsdale this last November.
    He went out of his way to be gracious to all the kids getting autographs and people taking his picture.
    What impressed me most was that he and his wife were there just hanging out. No "posse", no "handlers" just a couple of people enjoying the day checking out cars.

It's a sad loss for the hobby and the industry, but there's a lesson here for all of us to get away from this screen and GO LIVE YOUR LIFE -- tick,tick,tick...

27. Very sorry to hear this.
    This car still knocks my socks off.
    [​IMG]

28. racer67x

racer67x

29. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

I was at a function at DuPont headquarters in Wilmington, DE several years ago and Fred Warren & Boyd were there with the "Smoothster." They were signing posters and after he signed mine, I got him to put down his pen and shake hands. I'm thankful that I got that opportunity........... Journey well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.