Register now to get rid of these ads!

54 Ford TRUCKSTER!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Feb 8, 2008.

1. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i finaly started on that damn 54 ford cab tonight. :D i got it in the garage the other night and took some pics that i cut up to get the proportions i wanted. i took 8" out of it width wise and plan to section it about 6.5 or 7". i got it narrowed and clamped together tonight. we will see what the next few days bring as far as progress goes. i'm just gonna get the body together and sell it. i don't need another full on project and i could use the coin for other stuff (seeing as how i'm laid off now for a while). i might shorten and narrow up a 51 Chevy long bed box that i have out back and put it together with the 54 Ford cab. hell, i even have a 50 chevy truck frame with disc brakes on the stock I-beam axle. that might make a good low buck start for this thing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

a little more progress today. i got the two halves welded together (just tacked down the back side for now) and layed out the lines for the section. i also cut out the firewall. i did this in a strategic way. there is a method to my madness. you'll see later on in the build ;).
    i got the back of the cab sectioned 6.5" and tacked together at each end (door posts). still have to tack and weld it along the entire back side. that'll be a time consuming process there.
    the top of the back cab wall still has to be trimmed down. i haven't decided how far yet. after i get the doors sectioned and tacked on i'll decide on that. i'm going to tack weld the doors on since i did not get any hinges or latches wit this cab. whoever ends up finishing this thing can decide weather to weld the doors shut or locate hinges and make the doors swing. i would personaly hinge the doors but i have no intentions of finishing this one. i just want to build the body and then send it on to a good home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Looking good !

4. you got your work cut out for you! had to say that .. lookin good man..

5. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

did'nt get a chance to work on it the past couple days. took WAAAAAAY longer than i thought it would to dig the 60 Olds out of the snow and get it on the trailer (sending it out for engine work) last night and i've been spending today cleaning the house up and getting myself ready to go out partyin tonight!
    soon. maybe a little on sunday but monday for sure i'll be back at it. i gotta get it stitched back together so one of you kids can buy it from me and finish it up! :D

6. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

What's the overall plan for this mofo?

7. looz nutz

looz nutz

He has taken the renderings from Street rodder and building himself a roadster pick up from a 50's truck!! I never thought anybody would try this. I have and extra f100 cab and was comtemplating the idea. Good job!!

8. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

actually i had this cab given to me a few months before the Street Rodder issue came out and had planned from the begining to do something like that. i could'nt believe my eyes when that issue of SRM came out. i just had to laugh.
    the plan is to get the cab in order, cut up a 50 Chevy long bed bed i have out back and plop it down behind this cab on a 50 Chevy truck frame i have that i'm going to shorten at the rear and "Z". probably at both ends. then i'm gonna sell it! i'll have had my fun with it after i build the body. thats all i realy want to do but i have some "junk" around here i can throw at it and make it worth a little something. it is available for sale at any point but once i get it to the roller stage it WILL be moving to a new home. i need the cash for other projects anyways.

9. olskool37

olskool37

I'll be watching this with interest as I have 2 junk cabs that I was going to play with. That Rod n Custom article sparked a few ideas that I want to try out just fer shits n giggles. Id rather have an earlier cab, but I figured if I practiced on freebie junk, all Im out is welding wire, and time.

Edit: That mid 60's Chevy rendering turned my crank abunch

10. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

me too. got parts for 2 of those but with 63 hoods.