Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC Front Drive Distributor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemisteve, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Anyone ever run one of these? I'm planning an induction setup for the 327 that's slated to go into my recently acquired '32 Tudor - the carbs, once fitted, will not clear the stock distributor location so thought one of these front drive setups might be the answer. Are they race only? Can they be run on a street car? I literally know nothing about them and could not find anything here through a fairly exhaustive search. Does anyone know how they work and if this will be a solution for my problem?

Also want to maintain a early/mid 60's look to the distributor itself - any help there would be hugely helpful as well.

Thanks guys and gals,

Steve

2. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Ive run and am running bbc front drives. Work just fine. Make sure you get everything if you buy used.

3. snap daddy

snap daddy
    from Omaha, NE

Are you talking about the crank-trigger type like MSD makes? If so, the distributor runs off of an exposed smallish belt...may be a little fragile for the street. JMT

4. Shouldn't be any reason you can't run one on the street.
    Don't know who makes them though.
    Have you tried the Moroso catalog ?

You will need a cut down distributor in the stock position,
    to drive the oil pump and complete the circuit for lifter oiling.

5. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

I ran one on a drag car I had once, motor has shoved back under the firewall on a 64 Chevy II. I had no problems with it, from what I remember the setup was pretty expensive for its day. I haven't seen or heard anybody talk about one since to be honest. I think they look good also.....

6. The one I'm looking at is used, don't know the brand as of right now, has an Accell dizzy, coil and box included, looks like complete - am told it has a few break in hours on an old race engine, other than that it's new. Comes with the distributor dummy shaft (w/bronze gear) and what looks like a fuel pump cam drive with pulley and some spacers. I was more concerned about it not clearing a water pump or not being able to mount an engine driven fan. I'd prefer not to run an electric water pump and fan so as not to kill the 60's look although the electric fan solution found somewhere on here (with the old table fan guard adapted) might be kinda cool.

Steve

7. dirty mikey

dirty mikey
    from chicago IL

look up msd they make the crank trigger systems

8. scruff

scruff

didn't Jackson( I think Kong's brother ) make such a set-up back in the 70's

9. tmacracin

tmacracin

This is the Pioneer drive I use off the front of mine BBC(I think it would hit a water pump though). Ive run the MSD crank trigger setup with a crab cap distributor is the past also but they look fairly modern:eek:

Attached Files:

10. kurts49plym

kurts49plym
    from IL

I used a Pete Jackson unit on the front of a 327 in a 56 chevy 20 years ago. Worked great, but I had to fiddle around a little bit with pulleys, because the waterpump had to be spaced out some (if I remember right). Pretty cool once installed. Has a hex drive shaft that mounts to the top timing chain gear, and goes through the cover into the distributor drive. Everyone thought I had a ford engine at first :D, but it went too fast for that to be possible Ha ha:D

11. Dirty2

Dirty2

Scrape here on the HAMB uses them .

12. So what's this intake setup that won't clear a standard distributor ?

13. The Brudwich

The Brudwich

14. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

These were real popular at one time pete jackson - ken laughton- sumners bros- made the front cover type. needed spacers for short pump. came out mid 70s. worked well.

15. Custom 4 in a row 2 bbl intake - starting with an old tunnelram intake that I will be cutting off just above the manifold base - the 4 carbs will be slightly angled (from left to right, not up and down) and require more space than will be available so a relocated distributor seems to be the easiest answer. By the way, the carbs are 42mm Weber DCNFs - this setup will look much like the induction system found on a vintage Maserati.

Steve

16. Fishtail8

Fishtail8

Could you run an MSD with a crab cap and just paint it?

17. The Shocker

The Shocker

Yeah, he likes to pretend he has a SBF ,even paints them Ford Blue...

18. scrape

scrape

you wish..... only losers run fords......
    hers a pic of one of my pete jackson setups......

Attached Files:

19. The Shocker

The Shocker

I knew that would getcha going...

20. Phil1934

Phil1934

Also check mallory unilite. Same cap size as old Chevy II 4 cylinder, ~1/2" to 3/4" smaller as memory serves.

21. henny496

henny496

Hello
    I did a search and came across this post. I am curious as to how they drive the front gear off the cam?
    Would anyone have pics of this from the back?. I noticed the Pete Jackson drive and was very interested in it
    thanks
    Tom

22. Looked at a NOS Pete Jackson setup for a BBC that was possibly for sale the other day and thought it would look cool as well as making distributor work a snap.

23. sdluck

sdluck

The were used on sprintcars a little before they were banned.Engine builder felt timing would be correct or better at front.

24. filthy frank

filthy frank

that was a ripoff of the one i used to make at summers, and mine didnt hit the water pump becuase it had water pump spacers, and bottom pulley spacers , and the oil pump drive also.and quality , i never heard of mine ever breaking.

25. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

I have a front distibutor on my Chev. I run it every day. It doesn't hit anything in the way.

It's a LT1 in a '94 Caprice wagon.

26. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

I run a front mount summer bros set up, yes they are streetable

27. henny496

henny496

I do think this set up would solve a lot of clearance problems for me and probably will go this route

28. " in this corner, from sherman texas wearing the chevy orange trunks, weighing in at 200 pounds, lets have a big hand for- scrape..............................

29. kkustomz

kkustomz
    from Texas

The front mount set ups use a new distributor drive gear that bolts to your top cam gear and spaces out into your new front distributor drive housing. Just google summer bros.

30. bobs36hotrod

bobs36hotrod

IF you want to run the complete front drive Distrubitor set up, Check out SUMMERS BROS, they got the Complete Kit and everything you will need.
    [email protected]