Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB ART CHALLENGE #4- Sanford and Son's MUNTZ!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nate, Dec 12, 2007.

?

vote now!

Poll closed Jan 6, 2008.
  1. SUHRsc

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. fortypickup

5 vote(s)
    10.2%
  3. 4t64rd

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. PurplePearl50

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. James D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Royale with extra cheese :)

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  7. Bumpstick

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. Rikster

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Firetop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. hillbilly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. misfit36

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Clark Kustoms

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  13. Chopt 34

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  14. GaryC.

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  15. lockwoodkustoms

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  16. And

13 vote(s)
    26.5%
  17. Flipper

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  18. gasit

3 vote(s)
    6.1%
  19. Von Hartmann

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  20. James D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Ruiner

Ruiner

I have a problem with Bumpstick's version, it seems a waste to me to spend so much time making it look like everything else when that car is so unique to begin with...it's a damned shame to throw another frontend on a car like a Muntz Jet...that's just my opinion though...

2. you guys will get your chance to say what's your favorite when we vote..

anyone else have ideas?

3. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I have an idea but you will have to wait.

4. Ruiner

Ruiner

I wish I still had photoshop, I've got a few ideas of some subtle changes...but I'll just have to hope someone else does what I'm thinking...

5. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I don't have the time or skills to photoshop it, but my direction for that car is totally different.

Put it on the salt, or at least go for that look. It's already got the basic silhouette. Slam it, smooth it, add a tonneau cover with a driver slot, and a headrest & tunnel on the trunk like Duntov did on the original SSR. In fact, when considering mods, there's probably a half dozen cues off the SSR that fit the Muntz

6. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

This is a "Challenging" Challenge! Great art ideas so far! Nate thanks for the many sleepless nights and drooling in the corner to try and come up with an idea for this one! :p Also a huge shout out to "Clark" for offering the prize! :)
    I had a previous post that was more of a study than anything else, hope I'm not breaking rules by posting again, but I had some time on my hands! Here is my post for the "Sanford and Son" Muntz!
    If I owned a "Muntz Jet" I would probably restore it to its original condition! But I do not!
    So...that said. It seems to me that Old man Muntz, was a "Racy" kind of a guy! A loud mouth car sales man, an inventor, a womanizer, and finally an auto manufacturer! My kind of a guy! :cool:
    I would turn this into a full blown road racer! It has lean body lines that would not take much to convert to a racer.
    Dudes and Dudettes, I could not get passed those hideous bumpers (front and back) So I took them off and threw them out in the scrap pile behind the shop! If you want them I will sell them...Cheep!
    1) Cut the rear fender well out and radius the front.
    2) Lower it, for racing conditions
    3) Not sure about the front spoiler yet, but it was naked without the bumper!
    4) I went back out to the scrap pile and cut the center out of the original grill. Added them to the center section to clean up the front.
    5) Oval brake cooling vents up front and oval tail lights behind.
    6) American Wheels all around.

By the way the number "8" is for Madman Muntz last wife! :D

Carry on, boys and girls! :cool:

Attached Files:

7. fortypickup, that rocks! I especially like the front end treatment.:)

8. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Thanks man!
    Just screwin' round with Old school and new school ideas!

9. TerryE

TerryE

fortypickup....that is awesome. Looks like you whacked the wheelbase....right on. Take it back to the Kurtis special shorter wheelbase. I can't draw worth a crap or I would be in this . I love this challenge. I have been searching Kurtis Special and Kurtis and have found some cool stuff. This car must go back to its Kurtis racing roots. Terry

10. Clark Kustoms

Clark Kustoms
    from las vegas

First i would narrow the body 20''.Or until the wheels could stick out ''32 ford''style.Then chop the windshield and lean it back.
    The front axle would be moved forward about 20''.

Attached Files:

11. Rikster

Rikster

WOW... I really like that...
    and even the original (narrowed) bumpers looks good on this one!!!

12. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

Fortypickup, that Muntz racer is AWESOME! i personaly would have leaned towards a restoration on that particular car myself (for lack of any better ideas) but that race car version is tha cat's ass!!!

LOVE the narrowed version too. sounds like a hokey idea untill you see that artwork. nice job. been watchin this one and will continue to do so. can't wait to see more MAD-MAN ideas!

13. Clark Kustoms

Clark Kustoms
    from las vegas

If i found one in my price range it would probably be a basket case.Thats a good reason for the "match bash " look .
    In 68 anything was free game.
    I still like the fenderless lookn' one better.

Attached Files:

14. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Clark
    what a great idea! Kick ass drawing! :) That gasser is cool too! Like the narrowed version better!

15. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Just a quick question to all? (I don't want to turn this into a question/answer thread.) Just wondering what ya'll thought about posting what medium your art was created with? Such as pencil, photoshop, 3d animation, etc. I work in many mediums, such as pencil, watercolor, oil paints, pen and ink, pastels, airbrush, and computer generated art in Corel Draw. I don't use Photoshop, but judging from some of the great artwork here on HAMB, I may need to invest in photoshop. Corel Draw is basicly like drawing with your mouse, Its all vector art, draw a image, manipulate the nodes and fill with color! The Muntz Racer was done in Corel Draw.
    Anyhoo...Just a thought :)

16. Clark Kustoms

Clark Kustoms
    from las vegas

My drawings are all Papermate & Prismacolor markers. Then scanned into HP Photosmart Premere. It will only let me change the tone or saturation. But is good for what i need.

17. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I don't see how you could improve on the real deal. ...except ditch the whitewalls. It looks so much better as a two seater.

[​IMG]

18. I hope you had a great holiday!
    Here is a 'before & after' Muntz Custom concept for Clark. 40 pickup has the best one so far in my opinion.

Attached Files:

19. GaryC.

GaryC.

Muntz at LeMans
    If Briggs Cunningham went to LeMans and raced a Cadillac
    with the roof lopped off why didn't Mad Man Muntz do the same?
    The car looked to have all the aero it needed.
    Maybe a big block, some weight loss and suspension work
    could have created another American contender.

We'll never know. But that didn't stop me from turning
    the toad into the Mulsanne missle. Lowered, aero'd-up,
    nipped and tucked, bubbled and finned...

I give you The Muntz LeMans Special.

Attached Files:

20. one week left!

21. FASI

FASI

Flipper. Where is the Muntz you pictured located? It appears to either be a museum or under construction.

22. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

23. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I went back and dug up an as found pic...... the 55 chevy grill might not look bad if done as a sports car/Kurtis racer

[​IMG]

24. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

A big lag in posting! If I were going to vote today! It would be...

James D - Great job!
    Royal'e - Love the "Muntz" Catfish!
    Bumpstick - Love the Photo shop work!
    Rikster - Good Ideas man!
    Firetop - Great photo shop skills!
    Hillbilly - It does look like it is staring at you!
    Nate - What can be said? Your line art, Rules! love the extended headlights!
    Clark Kustoms - I love the narrowed version - my vote may go to you!
    Chopt34 - Great Photo shop work!
    and last but not least...
    GaryC - Totally awesome - You get my vote, Dude! :)

So much talent here, hope I didn't miss anyone! You guys rule!

25. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Well this is what I was able to come up with today. I hope to do a finished version in color.

Attached Files:

26. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Oh yeah it has a Boat style windshield. The rear fenders have been exended with 41 Stude taillights and a 36 Ford spare tire balancing between them. the front has a suttle set of polishednerfs that are complemented by the ends of the Muntz original bumper. Lighting up the night is a set of 37 Ford headlights. And to top off the suttleness of the car is a set of caddy caps and some Buick trim.

27. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Well, he kinda did -- at least, Barris built a Kustom Muntz back in the day. It was for some interior designer guy (!) and had, as I recall, a snakeskin interior.

The most interesting detail was that he enlarged the headlights by a HUGE amount, adding a plated outer ring around each one that was said to be made from old '20s headlight reflectors.

My recollection was the the car looked pretty good overall, ignoring the snakeskin. Rikster, do you have any record of this car?

28. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I had seen a really nice maroonish red Kustom on another site. It looked sweet.

29. fortypickup

fortypickup
    from Nebraska

Good body mods, I like the Ford "Bubble" head lights! Something had to be done with the original "Frog eyes"

Ya got till high noon on friday to do that color version!

Now get to it mister! :D

30. Rikster

Rikster

There is a nice photo of the Barris built Muntz in the Big Book of Barris. On page 31. It mentiones teh headlight lings are from a 1922 Marmon, and that they are raised and extended about 6 inches. A tube grille and new two piece front bumpers ahich do look nice. The rear bumper seams to be stock.

I might have more photos of it somewhere... but I dont have the time to look for them, or scan them if I find them at this moment.