Register now to get rid of these ads!

Made a grille insert today......not sure if I like it

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Painterman, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Painterman

Painterman

I have been trying to figure out what to do with the grille on my 37. I want to use what I have or is readily available. So I went to Lowe's this morning to get a rake for the yard and I stumbled accross this aluminum mesh. I think it's designed for light grids or somethng like that. It was cheap enough so I bought a piece.

The grille shell is the original with about 6" sectioned out of it and the original grille bars cut out. They were so rusted and banged up that they were'nt useable. I welded some studs on the back of the shell and bolted the mesh in from the back. The bar down the center is 5/16 rod. It is molded into the grille for a little character. I'm still on the fence about how it looks. Maybe once the grille is painted it will look better.

Attached Files:

2. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I'd be concerned about air flow, especially in SoCal.....

3. SlamCouver

SlamCouver
    from Brazil, IL

once its all painted it will look good. shiny+rusty together just doesnt work, thats prob why your on the fence.

4. Painterman

Painterman

I think the airflow won't be an issue. You can't tell from the picture but the holes in the mesh are about 1/4", millions of them. You can see right through it. I think air will flow nicely.

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Consider positioning the mesh a little further back, so it's not flush with the opening. I don't think it looks too bad man, it's definitely '60s style. :cool:

6. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Got any closer pictures? Looks good from what I can see.

7. Painterman

Painterman

Here's a real closeup. It's growing on me. Maybe I need to make a surround moulding. That will clean it up.

Attached Files:

8. Painterman

Painterman

I thought about that originally. I even set it up there to see what it would look like. I didn't like it at all. I should have taken a picture....

9. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

If you think you don't like it, you probably do.......if it looks like shit, it looks like shit.....no amount of money or work should dictate whether you keep something of not

10. Painterman

Painterman

I agree whole heartedly. I like it, it just looks like it's missing something. Maybe it's back to the drawing board.....................

11. Harris

Harris

Personally I like it, something different.

12. SilentKilla

SilentKilla

i agree with gotgas..... set it back a little. kinda like a Frenched look

13. i like it , its defintly different

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

That close-up helps. Might be a little shiny. Wonder if you could dull it down a bit?
    Either way, leave it for awhile.
    After a few weeks, your gut will tell you one way or another.
    Right now its too new for you to tell...

I'll bet you are going to like it....

15. Painterman

Painterman

That's what I'm thinking too. Everytime I look at it, I like it more. The truck will be painted, so I think the shiney paint against the shiney insert will look cool.

16. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Don't care for it, it looks like one of those mask that those Fencing dudes wear when they duel. That is what is nice about the HAMB, get others opinions, decide for yourself and just "DO IT"......

17. the shadow

the shadow

I'd pitch it...it's for screen doors/windows, it might look better if you put a door knocker in the center of the grill:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

18. Dago Red

Dago Red
    from Delaware

I'll tell ya what it's missing... DRAWER KNOBS!

19. Old School 40

Old School 40

Or maybe a shinny door bell.:rolleyes:

20. HulaZombie

HulaZombie

I think it looks Kool just like it is !!

21. The Wizard!

The Wizard!

Paint it Flat Black!! Not shiney

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's a good idea and I'm going the same route. However, have you considered using stainless steel screen? In a 1/4" mesh, it would look more like a grill and you may be able to polish it. Here is a link to a good company. Go to the left bar and search "screen". Then click on "stainless steel screen".

http://www.mcmaster.com/

You have a great idea, but what you used will always look like screen meant for a door. Give those guys a look see. I think you'll be pleased.

23. Painterman

Painterman

That's exactly the stuff I've been looking for! I have looked for it but all I could find were ready made grilles for modern cars. And none of them were big enough to get the piece I needed for this grille. Thanks for the info!

24. MUDFLAP

MUDFLAP
    from wyoming

Have you thought about bugs? Like grasshoppers, bumble bees, dragon flies etc.... These guys hit with a mean streak and I've seen sheet metal bend after contact. Just 1.5 worth.

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

No no no... shiney is better... :D

Yes yes yes... shiney is cool :D

26. Dirk35

Dirk35

Your missing the Surround trim to make it look finished. It looks unfinished w/o it. You could make some easily with the small round stock. Then prime it all to match and see hwo you feel.

27. Painterman

Painterman

Yep, I think so too. I have some 5/16 rod like the center piece. I'm going to make one up tomorrow. I've come this far, I might as well see it through to completion.

28. Shinny, shiney, scheinie, or even shiny, or not, it is the material used as a screen around big old radiators in old homes with steam/hot water heat. Not that there's anything wrong with trying it as a screen for your car's radiator. What the heck, it's worth a try, and you can always try something else if it doesn't please you.

As for the airflow issue, this material does block airflow more than a wire mesh as seen in cars using wire mesh. Whether the difference is enough to make a significant difference in your application is something only trial and error will resolve.

Free advice and worth every penny you paid....;)

Nice shape and proportions on the shell.:)

29. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

I'm not digging it, but it's better than anything I would have made so you get lots of respect for that.

30. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I like it. Hell with 'em!