Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why do T-buckets get no respect?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xlr8, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

You must be talking about mine
    [​IMG]
    Not exactly a "350/350", and you can count the catalog items on 1 hand. I understand why some people feel the way they do about T buckets, but I see ratrods that shouldn't be made in to cans let alone allowed on the road and I feel better. At least mine took some skill to design and build.
    Oh, and that's why you NEED a passenger... when you turn left, you slide to the right :D

2. Retrorod

Retrorod

Flower built a "T" truck to honor her Grandmother's Dairy truck from the 1920's, that's why it has the "icebox" on the back. The main reason she built it is because she wanted her own rod, one that she built from the ground-up. Because she used all the parts under the bench and everything that was out in the shed......it has that home-made flavor. In the 11 months since she got it running it has accumulated over 9,000 miles. She doen't refer to it as a "T Bucket" although it has a '23 body.....most people think it's "a cute little dune buggy". I guess that's no respect.

Attached Files:

3. TSKieffer

TSKieffer

Marty Hollmann's 1915 Ford all steel "T" was pretty cool and deserved a lot of respect. It was the feature car in the "Chrome Coffin" which was the 15th episode of the 4th season of "77 Sunset Strip".

http://www.sd455.com/movie77sunset.htm

Marty & Norm Grabowski were friends. Norm was member #10 and Marty was member #11 of the L.A. Roadsters club.

Today, however, Marty's "T" is nowhere to be found.

Attached Files:

4. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

I am buidling one right now and have steered away from the belly button stuff as much as possible, the one thing I dont like about them is how high out of the car you sit.
    hers mine

Attached Files:

5. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

I think part of the reason is because they got so goofy in the 70s. But also they are just not for everyone. I aquired one a few years back that was built in the early 60s. It was an old fiberglass show car. It had a 364 Buick with 2-4s, jag rear end, Boranni knock off wires, disc brakes, moon tank, sw guages. It was a nice vintage T bucket. I sat in it a couple times and just couldn't warm up to the knees in your face and arm/shoulder hanging outside of the car.

6. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

I'm building one now and it's Real Steal. I dig it!! It's taken as much work as the '28 Tudor me and pops built in the 80's. Don't care of it's entry level or cookie cutter, it will be a blast to fly by all the yuppies in there fag mobiles. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She's just in pre-lims right now as I'm trying to sort everything out and making sure it all fits before she gets cleaned up and painted. I might post a build up thread when I get more done if there is any interest.

7. I think there cool! at 6' 6" i just dont fit in them...:D

8. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here´s my friend Alex´ roadster, yeah for sure ...T´s are fucking ugly...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chris

9. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

With what goes on inside your brain you shouldn't be allowed to drive anything fast! :) "Artist At Speed?"

10. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

You said it best in your build-up thread: T's should be built to sit IN not ON.
    Anybody thinking of a T needs to check out A-Boner's car.

11. Formula for a cool bucket in my opinion:

Original looking axle, dropped or not,
    Early brakes, 40-48, lincoln or f-100
    Hairpins or split wishbones
    Vintage looking wheels ( ford, mercs, chrome reverse)
    Early ford rear spring, T, A, 32-48 ford
    Bias ply tires like 5.60/15 & 8.20/15 or 16 inch
    Shortened windshield preferably leaned back
    Vintage motor (any V-8 built before '62) or later motor dressed accordingly
    Stick shift
    Tuck and Roll
    Cut down '32 shell or T (not brass)
    Vintage looking guages
    Pinstriping (Von Dutch, Tommy the Greek, etc.)

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I would have to agree.

[​IMG]

13. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

14. this "piece of T history" makes me happy :D

Attached Files:

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

"... just couldn't warm up to the knees in your face and arm/shoulder hanging outside of the car."

The same can be said about the guys I have seen crawling out of a '32 coupe with a 6" chop and a 4" channel.

Another question where the answers depend on what side of the fence your standing. Why don't (insert whatever you want) get respect?

Someone threw out a bone and all the dogs jumped.

16. t buckets rule!
    fu#$ the naysayers!
    ts are a lot more traditional than 6 cylinder,black primered,mid sixties,4 door bondo buggies which are becoming more and more prevalent on this board than real hot rods.
    build a t .
    they are the original hot rod.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Your questionable signature would beg to differ.:D

18. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

19. what do you mean questionable?
    the name of my car club is the rats and they have been around since the sixties.

20. overkillphil

overkillphil

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Your post said T Buckets rule, but I saw your signature said rats rule. I was poking fun at what appeared to be your DIFFERING opinion. No harm intended.

22. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

I have never looked down on T-buckets. I think of them as the "chopper" of the hot rod world........Minimal parts to get the job done, and a "best possible" power to weight ratio!

23. cruiserbuddy

cruiserbuddy
    from Germany

There's a nice one in Dennis Parks Book "How to build a cheap hot rod". I mean the red one on the first pages....shit, don't have a pic....

24. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

A real hot rod model T is A stripped down racer, CRA or SCTA. in the 60's they stated making fiberglass show cars. It's just not the samething to me. I also feel traditional hot rods (roadster) are 1954 or early. anything newer than that is it's own thing,

25. ryndboys

ryndboys

They are like belly buttons , everyone has one.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You have a pic of yours?

27. that one was built a 'few' years ago by HAMBer and awesome person ThingyM and sold on ebay last year about this time i seem to recall.

28. Rpmrex

Rpmrex
    from Indiana

Some peoples opinions just aren't thought out. What car hasn't been made so many times that it can't be classified a belly button? Look how many '32's are out there yet people seem to think there is nothing better. I also don't see how steel is real and fiberglass isn't real. Wake up!

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

30. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Re: Why do T-buckets get no respect?

Over done IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.