Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gennie vs Lokar what's your preference?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jamin, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Jamin

Jamin
    from Australia

Hi Guys, trying to decide whether to buy a Gennie or a Lokar shifter. What's your preference? Some guys swear by one or the other, would like to hear from anyone who has had both.

Thanks.

2. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

I really like the lokar.. Im on my 2nd one and the first one was a floor mount. I liked that as there was no vibration. Im trying the trans mount on the new car.
    Dave

3. leadsled01

leadsled01

4. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I've used both, but prefer the Gennie because it doesn't have the push button. Mechanically I've had good luck with both brands.

Do a search, cause there's other threads that have discussed this.

5. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

I have a trans mount Lokar on my 700r4 and it produces an annoying vibration at highway speed. I'm satisfied with the fit, finish, style, operation, and value. Basically it's like connecting a solid mounted stem to the engine/transmission assembly. This makes it subject to vibration. What I'm hearing is the button rattling inside the shifter knob. The button has an O ring mounted into a groove for a buffer and the button is held in place with a set screw. I'm going to call Lokar sometime about this. Perhaps a larger O ring, clearancing the button, or something as simple as tightenoing the set screw would help or fix it.

6. We've used both on many builds, and both are high quality products. The Genie does have the benefit of being able to use just about any knob you want, due to no button.

7. I like the Lokar, it has performed very well for me---and now they have a simple adapter that lets you run any knob you like.---Brian

8. I have the lokar, the only problem I've had is when it gets real cold the button stays down. I think the grease on the cable gets to thick. carlg

9. Leaky Pipes

Leaky Pipes

Do a search. this has been discussed.
    I didnt like my Lokar. Most of the bracket holes were slightly off and had to be drilled a hair wider to line up. Brackets holes didnt line up exact with other bracket holes and were even slightly off from the trans. Called the company and they told me to ream the holes larger. ???? I told them were to put it. for that money I expect quality. Are these made in China? I could understand if it was a few holes -but most of them? would have returned it but had allready drilled some bracket holes larger. My friend had the same exact problem. I will go with a Gennie next time. U can use different shifter knobs with a Gennie too. Lokar makes u buy an adapter to use different shifter knobs. Thats almost an insult.

10. oldfardyfode

oldfardyfode

I have several of tried both....Don't care for the Lokar....:vibration on some, redrilled on one, and with the LONG shifter it drops to another gear when you experience a real dip in the road or at RR crossings.....I suppose it is just too heavy.....Will never buy another Lokar.....CJ.

11. UPSrodder

UPSrodder

Currently using the Lokar, Prob 1, as stated, vibration. its a rear trans mount and with the tall handle its quite noticeable, Prob 2, Adapter for universal knob rattles and the set screw, at least on the early adapters is neoprene and once it is in there is not return to remove it. Prob 3, Had to shorten the shift arm to produce the right ratio for my location and trans, re drill and grind. That sucked. And last but not least, for the amount of money, they should throw in the adapter even thought it junk. I bought the gennie adapter and it works great. Will go gennie next time I use an auto trans.

12. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

13. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I've got a Lokar on my 700 R4 and have experienced NO vibration situations. This unit has been on the car for 3 years, and gets driven about 3k per year. Could it possibly be something else is causing the vibration and your shifter is just telling you about it? Stu

14. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Gennie, the adapter for the Lokar looks bad

15. yblock292

yblock292

Gennie by far the best, have always had problems with the neutral safety switch on lokars plus the people at Gennie are really nice to deal with!

16. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Definately and positively 100% Gennie

17. neither seems to work with my clutch pedal, should I contact the manufacturer?

18. butch27

butch27

Gennie of coarse.

19. Big Tony

Big Tony

I Dig the hell out of my Gennie and its button less and tall :~)

20. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

My five five is privileged to be running a Gennie:D

21. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I Have Had Both And Would Say The Gennie For Sure!!!not Only Because Of The Knob Issue But The Fact That It Bolted Together Perfectly The First Time With No Mods And Benn Using The Current One I Have For 5 Years Now With Not One Issue.the Lokar One (i Got For Cheap So I Bought It)that I Put In My 54 Didnt Bolt Up For Shit And I Had To Modify The Hell Out Of It.

22. chopped

chopped

Both the Lokar's work fine. Plus they have a great open house with the best meatloaf I've ever had.

23. Lokar is three miles from my house. I'll be using their throttle cable kit on the '32 but that shift knob, with it's button & vibration issues, is going to drive me to go with a Gennie when I buy a shifter.

JH

24. i bought a gennie when they first came out in 82 or 83 . the only problem i ever had was that the gates wore and i had to weld them and refile the gear reliefs. other than that it is still doin the job.i talked to their guy at joliet goodguys and he said that the wear problem has since been solved. i would deffinately buy another if i were to use a matic again. mike

25. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

I have the 23 inch SoCal Speed Shop Lokar on my 700R4. Vibrates like a motherlover but it bolted up fine and I don't mind the button. I'm also running thier dipstick and I hate it. It's the ugliest thing in my engine compartment. I hid it on the fenderwell behind the air duct but you can still see the shiny piece of shit.

26. 4woody

4woody

I like my Gennie, but I shoulda got it with a different (double bend) lever. Not their fault (obviously), I'm just saying mock it up with your seat , dash, and whatever else might get in the way- then decide which shape/length lever.

27. blt4speedsince79

blt4speedsince79

i like the gennie better but my only complaint is if your shift knob is slightly heavier than the stock one if you hit a bump it will pop down into 1st gear if your crusing in 2.

28. Creepy Jack

Creepy Jack
    from SoCal

I had a long Gennie in my panel truck way back when (700R-4), and never had any problems with it. If I can't find a manual trans for cheap this time around, I'll put in an auto (temporarily) and use another Gennie.

29. tmacracin

tmacracin

I have had a Lokar before and I thought it was kinda junk also. Gennie looks to be better. Plus look at the new Gennie shift knob I just purchased

Attached Files:

30. i have used both. i like the gennie better because i have the big A in my thumb and have trouble pushing the button.i bought the gennie with no stick and drilled a 39 stick out to use. it works great in my 32 on the 350 turbo.i installed it in the forward position so it is out of the way and looks like it belongs there. both shifters require some adjustments when they are being installed. jim:)