Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Ramchargers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6t5frlane, Oct 18, 2006.

1. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

How about a few of the Yankee Peddler

Attached Files:

2. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

His Fotki site has been shut down again,he's a buddy of mine.

3. One for the Canadians (go Sens!). The Outcast was another Dart roadster. I obviously stole this from Ken at Past Lane. :)

Attached Files:

4. storm king

storm king

Gotta let us know if he gets it up again!
    Flynn's car had a beautiful finish, even though I didn't care for the pattern. It was the only factory built sedan.

5. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

It's some what of a well known fact the Dave Koffels A/FX was built from a sedan.But here's a couple of really rare shots before it got the Hardtop and a couple after.

Attached Files:

6. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Whats also interesting in that first shot is the ramp truck with a travelall body on it. I forgot about that thing!

7. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

SINCE I STARTED THIS THREAD A LONG TIME AGO i JUST WANT TO THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HISTORY LESSON. NOBODY EVER ANSWERED THE ??? ABOUT DAVE RUPP. WAS HE AN ORIGINAL RAMCHARGER.......Sorry for the capps

8. phat rat

phat rat

That's an early 60's to 66 Chevy/GMC Suburban. A Travelall was International

9. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

Yah, i know Who cares what chevy called it............Travelall is a term just as Vise Grips is to Locking Pliers.........................

10. This is a great thread!!! Anyone have anymore?

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Back to the Ramchargers.....
    The Candymatic 1963 Dodge 330 sedan....I have an older (late's 80's) Mopar mag with a nice article on the orignal restored......

Attached Files:

12. phat rat

phat rat

Wasn't trying to step on your toes. Just trying to correct what I thought was a mistake. Actually it's a Panel truck with an extra window not a Burb. Maybe in your circle all Burbs are called Travelall but never where I'm from, unless it was an uninformed who needed correction because he couldn't tell the difference between an International and a Chevy.

13. Wanna buy an old race car? :)

Attached Files:

14. phat rat

phat rat

What year in the 60's is that ad from

15. 11/25/66 issue of Drag World.

16. phat rat

phat rat

Yea and young guys today consider that cheap, but back then it wasn't. I remember in the fall of 63 I wanted to order a 64 Dodge convert 383 4 spd, but I needed a co-signer and my dad wouldn't because he was sure I'd wind up in Nam (I didn't) and wouldn't be able to pay for it. It was out the door at well under 3 grand. Look what that won't buy you now

17. straightaxle65

straightaxle65

No problem, and I understand where your coming from. I correct people too on things that I think need corrected.

18. 4tford

4tford

A couple of color me gone charger

Attached Files:

19. BillyShope

BillyShope

This is the "glamour photo" of the Ramchargers' C/A.
    [​IMG]
    Someone mentioned Tom Hoover having a '57 DeSoto. That must have been later in life. The car he drove to work was a '57 Plymouth convertible, powered by a 392 with a fabricated intake. Here's a picture:
    [​IMG]
    The car held both ends of the NHRA CG/A record, but was still docile enough to be a "go to work" car.

Here's a picture of myself with a couple other of the "originals." The guy on my right is Jack McPherson and, on my left, Herman Mozer. (Barnes Daniels has disputed my memory on the person I call Jack McPherson, but I'm pretty confident. Age is beginning to play tricks with out memories, though.) Herman was the first president and an early driver. Someone mentioned a "Knupp" in an earlier post. His full name was Dwight (Ike) Knupp and he's the "driver" in this picture. Forgot to mention: This is the beginning of the C/A build.

Ike got involved...after leaving Chrysler...with sportscar racing (Sprite) as a driver. He and his wife owned a race shop, but I haven't been able to contact him. If anyone has any information, please let me know.
    [​IMG]
    I was responsible for suspension setup and have retained an interest through the years. I've been trying to help the younger dragracers with my blog:

20. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Cool pics, especially that last one.....thanks for posting!!!

21. phat rat

phat rat

BillyShope, THANK YOU very much for these pics and a little history

22. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Outstanding photos and thank you for the info on the early Ramchargers.

23. Wow. Thanks for the pix and history.

Viva la HAMB!

Jay

24. BillyShope

BillyShope

First, a correction for my first post: Should have been C/GA, not CG/A. That "A" stood for automatic, of course. The C/G records were held by another Ramcharger, Wayne Erickson. His was a bored 354 in a '53 Dodge. This was at a time when the normally aspirated (NA) cars were thrown in with the supercharged in the gas classes. But Wayne's NA would still come out on top! It used the Hillborn throttle bodies, so everyone assumed it was the complete Hillborn setup. But, Wayne worked in the Advanced Fuel Metering Laboratory, so he was actually running an electronic system of his own design. Unfortunately, Wayne succumbed from burns experienced during an accident at the Nationals. I'm not certain of the year, but I think it was 1961. While googling for this information, I ran across the following:

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/113_0704_ram_rod/nhra_nationals.html

I remember a guy phoning me for information for the article. That should have been the C-Type Jaguar and not the Jaguar XJC. Maybe it's my browser, but many of the dimensions came up with a screwy forty-seconds fraction. But, if you're interested in ancient history, it's a good read.

Another '53 Dodge was used, by Herman Mozer, to claim the E/G records. Herm used the 241 Dodge hemi engine. Another Ramcharger ran in E/G...Barnes Daniels...and might have had the records were it not for Herman. Barnes had a '57 Plymouth Savoy with the smallest V8, running a fabricated intake with EIGHT Carter side draughts.

Another Ramcharger claiming records right and left was Pete McNichol. He held both ends of something like 4 or 5 different class records. He used the same engine for all: the 170 cube slant six. Since the 170 could use the same head as the 225, it could have relatively huge valves and ports. Pete took advantage of this by spinning the engine at over 10,000 rpm!

Perhaps the most fun was being experienced by another Ramcharger, Troy Simonsen. He had a '50 Dodge Wayfarer and, instead of sticking a hemi under the hood, he decided to play with the flathead six. With the larger Chrysler engine...ported and relieved, of course..., an aftermarket cam, and a "stump puller" of a rear end gear, he still managed to get into the "stock" class, running against cars such as '49 Oldsmobiles with high lift rockers. It was a real crowd pleaser! They enjoyed watching him beat the V8's. And, even the occasional whipped opponent would be seen laughing and shaking his head in disbelief as he came back into the pits.

As I look back on those days, I realize my good fortune in having people like Trant Jarman, Scott Harvey, and George Wallace with whom I could benchrace. If you're at all interested in sportscar racing, you recognize Trant and Scott. George went on to become the Chief Engineer at B&M.

As the song puts it: Those Were The Days.

25. Scotch

Scotch

FYI to all - It probably goes without saying, but Bill Shope is one of the original Ramchargers and also a personal friend of mine. I invited him to come over here and post on this thread, since few know more about it than he would.

He didn't post an intro or anything- but he gets a pass because I invited him. If anyone has a problem with that, just let me know via PM. I'll gladly tell you exactly what to do.

FYI- He's also a suspension guru with one of those fancy college educations and all that stuff. I know lots of you may have suspension questions as you explore new ideas under your hot rods. Bill would be the guy to ask.

Let's just hope he makes a habit of stopping by here. The HAMB will be a better place (if that's possible) should he choose to do so.

Thanks all~

~Scotch~

26. storm king

storm king

My first pass on Billy's post was, are you telling me that gass classes were segragated by automatic and stick? Because while I've only been involved since 1963, I've never heard such a thing. But he had good stuff nontheless.
    Also, since you guys are Ramchargers guys, do you recognize the name, Barnes Daniels?

We bought a Ramchargers engine from Dan Knapp in '68 after we fragged our Bil Stiles motor. John Lundburg was a friend and turned us on to Dan.
    Since Billy was talking about a Jaguar in his post let me tell this story. We drove to Ramchargers place, which wasan old supermarket or something. You had to know the address because the only indicator it was Ramchargers was a little vlave cover decal on the door.
    Once in side was the awsome front motored fueler with the bug cather cover engraved with "I'd rather eat worms than drive a Ford" on it.
    Anyway in the back of the shop this old man got out of a maroon XKE and walked by us. He said hello as he walked by (anyone remember manners?) and Dan asked my Dad if he recognized that man. My Dad thought about it for a few minutes and goes, "yeah, Rose".Dan says yep, Maurie Rose, three time winner of the INdy 500;
    in like 1927, '28 and '30!
    More on this story in a while, I've got an 08:30 conference call to take.

27. BillyShope

BillyShope

Yup! Believe it or not, both NHRA and AHRA had separate manual and automatic gas classes. (I wasn't aware, before 5 minutes ago, that AHRA had the auto gas classes, but a google turned up a blog where a guy lists his accomplishments in AHRA C/GA back in 1957.)

28. metalshapes

metalshapes

Awesome...

Welcome Bill.

29. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

....at Aquasco Speedway in Maryland (early 1970s). The first shot has Malcolm Durham's Strip Blazer in the far lane:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Lee
    [​IMG]

30. Boy, this new laptop is really paying off. I dug up this thread for desktop pictures, and now got an AWESOME history lesson to boot.

Thanks, Scotch, for bringing your friends to play!:D

Jay